The flurry of ERs

Actually, I am planning on trying to do the housework stuff, things like cleaning and cooking. CFB, can you give me some tips? I will need all the help that I can get!!!

Dreamer

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I can attest to that.  I've had a few days where returning to the cube didnt look so bad. ;)

Well, you could go to work, put up with infant-like behavior, clean up sh!t, etc., just like home.

But Gabe's definitely cuter, and probably smarter...

Dreamer said:
It feels the best!!!! Only 42 working days left!
Dreamer
Oh, c'mon, you can do better than that.

You'll need at least one day to pack up your cubicle, which should be preceeded by at least a week of stealing office supplies. Then there's all the personal time you'll need with medical, dental, & HR to discuss the details. Another day will be tied up with whatever financial/lifestyle counseling that beneficient Megacorp feels is necessary to their litigation status your future, and of course there's the rounds of fairwell meals & celebrations. And of course on "THE day" you're going to sneak out early. Heck, we've knocked 10 or 11 days off that "working day" number so far.

Does training your replacement count as "working"?

HFWR said:
Well, you could go to work, put up with infant-like behavior, clean up sh!t, etc., just like home.
I used to be able to deliver a three-minute standup on why working with admirals was about the same degree of difficulty & frustration as raising a baby. Except that babies eventually stop whining & crying and grow up... and you can toilet-train them too!

Hey Nords, you want to talk to my boss for me? I like how you knock all of those days off, except no stealing office supplies or anything else for me. My boss actually told me today that if I have any training materials, like government transmittals, at home, that I need to be sure and return them. I assured her that I did not take papers home to work on or read at night. There are no replacements for me to train. That is one of the reasons that I am leaving. Too many people have retired and too few left to do the same amount of work. Everyone complaining because they have to wait alot longer in the reception area, no one to take their claim if they did not have an appointment, not being able to get through to us on the phone and it is taking longer to do whatever it is they want done. I don't blame them, I would be complaining also. Everyone wants less government and they sure are getting it in our office!

I am taking off to get my medical and dental appts in before I retire! :)

Dreamer

Nords, now there is one of my few regrets. Not enough office supplies remembered to come home with me. What with all the excitement of the whole escape thing. I should have grabbed a replacement cartridge for my Inkjet, a few of those cool mechanical pencils I can't believe they are allowed to buy, and what about those neat little thumb drives, who'd a missed one. Oh well, I'll survive somehow.

Dreamer, you do get to shift into coast mode, and it's a downhill coast that will keep picking up speed. You say that you're getting everything all cleaned up and put in order for your "replacement", remember you can still say it even if you're pretty sure they won't put anyone in your office for a while, if ever. Management won't be able to say to your face that everyone who leaves just creates a cost-savings for the next budget year. It's a good time to cruise the bulding and check in with coworkers, it's that last chance to inspire others to follow in your footsteps. They'll want to now how you can possibley do this ER thing, and you'll be able to give them sage tips on how to get ready.

I believe I got at least a half-dozen people onto the right path for their own ER's. My ex-boss as already whined to me via email that she has noone to whine to anymore, she is a year behind me in the curve, but was 2 years behind me before I helped her see the light.

I'm less than a month into it and already adapting well. I'm finding that those tasks that before in the work-a-day world had to be squeezed in somehow after work, or on weekends, can now the the focus of the entire day. And after completion you feel like it was a fruitful and productive day. Yesterday it was about taking the puppy (6 month old Irish Wolfhound, already 100 lbs) for a good walk. Grendel, DW and I all did great. OK tired now, gotta take a nap... :LOL:

Ooooo, JonnyM, an Irish Wolfhound? We once had a neighbor who had 2 of those, and they were the coolest dogs!

I have 6 more days: Wednesday and Thursday this week, and M-Th next week. People are coming into my office almost hourly to tell me how bored I'll be. Uh, I don't think so. ::)

Thanks for telling us about your day!

CJ

cj, am wishing you the best in your retirement. I am done on 4/28 myself, but essentially it is over this coming 4/21, because as an ex-pat, I am packing up my household next week for a relocation. Will be going in office on 4/28 just long enough to hand in my badge, credit card and cell phone.

I spent the better part of the last 2 weeks cleaning out files, hard drives, etc to position things for my replacement. This week, I am essentially goofing off visiting my favorite work buddies.

Sad to say I am going to be unable to tell you all how the first day of retirement (May 1) felt. It may be mid-May before I get back online in our new location.

AltaRed - by mid-May you'll really be able to tell us how it feels!

CJ

JonnyM,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your days. I have been talking to people, especially the younger ones, telling them how important contributing to the TSP (401K for Feds) is and IRAs. They say that they have soooo many years left and I told them that it will be here before they know it, especially if they start saving now!

I went to my doctor today for my annual exam. She asked me where I work at again and I told her that I would only be working until 6/2/06 and then was taking an early retirement. I am thinking that my doctor is somewhere between mid to late 50s. She stopped and asked me how I was able to do this. I felt really sorry for her when she told me that she will have to work until she is at least 70.

CJ and AltaRed, you are almost done!!! Be sure and keep us informed as to how it is going.

I am starting to allow myself to get really excited now and I have over a month to go. I really need to get my retirement papers completed and mailed in to personnel.

Dreamer

JonnyM said:
Yesterday it was about taking the puppy (6 month old Irish Wolfhound, already 100 lbs) for a good walk. Grendel, DW and I all did great. OK tired now, gotta take a nap... :LOL:

Grendel?

At dawn, when the Danes learned
of Grendel's strength,
there was great weeping.
The old king sat sadly,
crying for his men. Bloody
footprints were found.

Martha said:
Grendel?

At dawn, when the Danes learned
of Grendel's strength,
there was great weeping.
The old king sat sadly,
crying for his men. Bloody
footprints were found.

Grendel is the biggest sweatheart you could ever imagine. However much like children, our first IW fooled us a bit, he was very laid back, a real couch potato dog. Grendel wants to "do stuff" with us all the time. The teething has been a trial, if APS Social Workers at my old w*rk haunt saw her (DW's) bruises, I'd be hauled in for questioning.

In the end Grendel is somewhat prophectically and accurately named...

...but he is our monster!

Back
Top Bottom