The genesis of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement"

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
The genesis of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement"

I was researching some questions for another post when I stumbled across the thread that started "The Military Guide":
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/military-retirement-may-be-oxymoronic-14408.html

February 2004: not quite eight years ago.

It's interesting to see how many of us from that thread are still hanging around here.

What a long, strange trip it's been...

Wow that old thread is an eye opener. Kind of makes me rethink some of the choices I made.

JDARNELL

I remember that. I was lurker. Posted a bit for while. Been a lurker for some time now. I think that's my style. I'm pleased to see good happening to good people who do good - that means you Nords.

Thanks!

GDER never made the cut over to the "new" board software, but I've been hoping that he'd check back in someday to see that he's not the only one.

Interesting post

Thanks for putting that back up for us to enjoy. I retired after 28 years active duty as a Major (I spent 10 yrs enlisted to SFC the was commissioned through ROTC into the Guard, then activated against my will which is ironic as I was drafted in '71 for Viet Nam), worked another 10 yrs as a GS-15 then retired completely to Hungary. It has been an excellent choice for us and thankfully I don't work at all any more. I was reluctantly doing consulting work back in the US with roughly a 1 week trip every month but funding for biodefense has taken a big hit so my particular expertise is not in high demand any longer and my last experiment was in October. Although, that may change as no one seems eager to learn these skills (aerobiology and animal models of pathogenesis). So, it may well become a lost art in a short amount of time (again). I am not sorry though and now have found plenty to keep me busy. I won't be shocked though to find myself either recalled to active duty (again) or sought after for more consulting work.

Back
Top Bottom