Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Khan, we have the same arrangement as you - someone comes in every 2nd week and I have to say I love it.

Even though I am currently not working I still have my housekeeper. When we initially employer the housekeeper DH complained miserably, but as I told him until he is prepared to pull his weight around the house he does not have a say as he is the messy one.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I view having a periodic full scale housecleaning vs. my daily low level cleaning maintenance in the same way as a getting a periodic haircut vs. daily hair combing.
Every day, I wash and comb my hair. It won't need trimming until it gets unmanageable (loses shape, bangs too long, edges uneven). I do some minor trimming around my face, if needed.
Once a month, I get my hair cut by a professional. The results are excellent and the cost is low.
We all know how to operate scissors, and could easily cut our hair ourselves.
However, the effort is tremendous, and the results are shaky at best.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Early board memebers know the depths to which I can fall in housecleaning. It was mostly acting out in protest in finding myself alone at a time in life when that really didn't appeal to me.

Also my place seemed too big, and too full of relics. But my new place is very small, and although I have not turned into a Scandinavian housewife I do pretty well. One thing that prompts me is that I have very pretty hardwood floors and I don't want them getting messed up. My biggest challenge is keeping the dishes done as I don't have a dishwasher.

My cleanup habits except for dishes are a lot like years ago- Friday or Saturday mornings I do a blitz. If someone is coming over they won't be able to look into my grungy soul. Inside of windows I do less often, but without kids or pets they stay pretty clean.

I just don't have the room in my budget for a maid right now, and truthfully there are other things that I would rather spend money on.

Ha
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess I could see some housekeepers for the non-FIRED folks. Doesn't being FIRED give you TIME to keep the house neat?

DW is part of the FlyLady phenomenon. The Flylady woman has a website and is supposedly a clutter and cleaning expert..........
Time yes, inclination no. I've always hated housework, I'm not good at it, and (with all the things going on with my hands) it hurts.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I just don't have the room in my budget for a maid right now, and truthfully there are other things that I would rather spend money on.
We had a housekeeper in for four hours per week years ago when we were both working. Just coming home on Friday and finding everything immaculate was well worth it.

In RE, we do it ourselves. Like you, there are just other things we'd rather spend the money on.

If the DOW was at 15k, we might have a different outlook on this!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, there's that. Or, why pay someone to do something if you're good at it?.....
Exactly...........my stepmom made sure I knew how to do laundry, clean, and cook. She thought I would be a lifelong bachelor........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Exactly...........my stepmom made sure I knew how to do laundry, clean, and cook. She thought I would be a lifelong bachelor........
I wish my MIL had thought that way.....
Old 02-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

When my company sent me to London, I had a housecleaner once a week paid for by the company...

My sisters came over and one remarked on my 'beautiful French maid'... WHAT I had been there a year and had never seen her... oh well...

When I was in NY, I stayed home once and the 'maid' was actually a man and wife team.... but I became grossed out when I saw the man with a rag cleaning out the toilet and then continued onto the sink and faucet....

Telling the company about it did nothing as they did not care... also, they seemed to break a glass or two a month... and they seemed to only break MINE, not the companies....
Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #49

So what are the tax/withholding/insurance issues regarding an every-other-week independent house cleaner? Is it different if you go through a housekeeping company?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Do you tell them what to do, or do they pretty much have an idea already? I wouldn't know where to start. Floors, bathroom, kitchen, and dusting should cover it, I would think. I have five sets of French doors, but really the glass panes don't seem to need much cleaning.
Want2retire, I'm really easy -- a bachelor living alone -- so no, I don't tell them what to do. They have their standard list and just work through that. If I had any special requirements I'd expect to have to pay extra.

They come while I'm at work, so I generally don't even see them. I've run into them a few times in the last seven years. That will be a bit of a challenge in retirement. I'll need to arrange my schedule to be gone when they're working. I'd feel guilty watching them work.

Oh, I say "them" because the service always sends two workers. Not necessarily the same two each visit, either.

Coach
Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My grandmother hated housework. My mother hated/hates housework. I am a product of my genetics. I have an innate ability to tune out all dirt, fur, and mess. Nothing I can do about it.

Lucky for me I am married to Mr. Clean or I'm sure I would have to hire a service to "dung out" the place every few weeks.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurBall View Post
My grandmother hated housework. My mother hated/hates housework. I am a product of my genetics. I have an innate ability to tune out all dirt, fur, and mess. Nothing I can do about it.

Lucky for me I am married to Mr. Clean or I'm sure I would have to hire a service to "dung out" the place every few weeks.
I have HDD (Housekeeping Deficit Disorder).

My EX left because I had a higher squalor tolerance.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My SO and I are like the Odd Couple with me being Felix . His areas of the house are messy and I've learned to tolerate it and my areas and any shared areas are complusively neat . This arrangement took some fine tuning but it is working fine now .
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Early on apparently we were having some kind of standoff on vacuuming. Only problem was I didn't know it. Finally DH realized this and showed me the dust bunny on the stairs that I hadn't seen. So the accommodation was that he would give me specific tasks for cleaning. Over the years he gave up on that too.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I have HDD (Housekeeping Deficit Disorder).
I love this. My grandmother also had HDD. She used to say that a dirty house was the sign of a dirty mind and what could be better than a dirty mind.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Good investment, Khan!

I've hired cleaning ladies (and a guy once) on and off for years. When the last one went back to Brazil just before X-mas, I decided to to it myself for a while. She did the basics but I still had to do the heavy stuff like moving furniture, cleaning out the closets, laundry, rearranging furniture, cleaning under the bed, dusting the furnace, cleaning and defrosting the "ice box," etc.

Now that I've been doing it all myself for a few weeks, I'd pay myself a lot more than $50/week to keep the floors clean, etc. My hobby these days is "spring cleaning"; when I finish, maybe it really will be spring. And when the S&P rises, I know a good investment for the profits.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/18170.jpg

wink wink nudge nudge say no more
Old 02-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Khan wrote, I have HDD (Housekeeping Deficit Disorder). :toofunny:

I have a little sign on the kitchen wall that says, "An Immaculate House is the Sign of a Wasted Life."
I saw another sign I liked that said, "Our Home: Clean Enough to Be Healthy, Dirty Enough to Be Happy."

The one exception, for me, is the kitchen counters. We had exotic granite installed, a very wild, colorful, sparkly, veiny stone that appeals to all my Junior Rockhound sensibilities, and also reminds me of a Kandinsky painting. I am keeping the counters really clean these days because they're so much fun to look at.

Amethyst