Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

My last day is May 31. I just cleaned out my desk today, except for the barest essentials for the next two weeks. I gave away lots of supplies. I asked around to see if anyone wanted to claim my now empty shelves and tables and file cabinets.
This process is making it all so final...getting a little anxious about it!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
My last day is June 31.

I’m sorry to say that you can never retire. You are going to have to wait a long time for June 31st. LOL!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #43

OMG, that is so funny! What a silly error...thank you for pointing it out in such a sweet way! Now I know that I really DO need to retire (very big grin!)
!'ve edited my post to correct my retirement date from the originally posted June 31st to the actual date of May 31st!
Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My last day at work is next Thursday 5/30/19. My office is almost emptied out; I brought my emergency suit and tie home today. I still have few odds and ends to clear out of my desk drawers and a few files to hand off to others.
Ditto- word for word! I am very fortunate to have a Voluntary Retirement Package so while I am technically employed through 7/31/19, the last 2 months are Approved PTO, and Friday 5/31 is my day off. Get paid for all unused holiday & vacation days, plus a $5k bonus and 12 months of pay severance through 7/31/20. Company HI cost me $270/m until I turn 65 in 3.5 years. Pension starts on 8/1/19 and turns out to be more than I had planned for various reasons. The white board outside my cube had one big number each day. Today says “9”. I have to say it is a bit surreal for me. To have this fall in my lap (along with 1699 other co- workers) 11 months earlier than planned is invigoratingly tense. Wrapping up the last small project this week. 20 out of about 86 in our dept are taking the package, so there is no singling out for any reason, and most everyone is happy for us starting our next phase. I hope it is a long one for us all!! I hope I don’t wake up from a long dream!!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My last day at work is next Thursday 5/30/19. My office is almost emptied out; I brought my emergency suit and tie home today. I still have few odds and ends to clear out of my desk drawers and a few files to hand off to others.
If I know my Hollywood tropes well, on your last day you will spill tomato juice on your shirt at lunchtime and the CEO will pay an unexpected visit to your office at 3pm.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #46

Quote:
If I know my Hollywood tropes well, on your last day you will spill tomato juice on your shirt at lunchtime and the CEO will pay an unexpected visit to your office at 3pm.
And he won't care even a little bit. In fact, I'd make sure to stand up and point it out. Make 'em glad you took the package.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #47

Good luck to you all that are close. I counted down for 18 months (my choice). Loved marking off each day.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Late to the party here.. but can I play too?

Filled out the separation forms yesterday -- July 2 is last day. I haven't mailed the forms back to corporate yet, my wife is copying them all today (a lot of paperwork) and our FA is taking one last look. Will mail them Tuesday after Memorial day and also make the formal announcement. The only big decision left is what music should be blasting from the car stereo on my last trip out of the parking lot.

Due to (boring info about PTO and stuff) I have 16 actual workdays left.

Best wishes to the May, June, and July class of 2019!
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
The only big decision left is what music should be blasting from the car stereo on my last trip out of the parking lot.
May I suggest...
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Well my official final countdown to FIRE is going. June 7th is my final day of W**K.

Shabby, you started this thread and you’re getting awfully close to your date! How are you doing as your coming down to the finish line?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck to Shabby and everyone else who is close to calling it quits for good. Please give us updates and let us know how the early days of retirement are treating you. I will read with envy!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Shabby, you started this thread and you’re getting awfully close to your date! How are you doing as your coming down to the finish line?
Thanks for asking West. I must say things have definitely gotten easier and time sped up once I hit the 30 days left mark. Now with 2 weeks left I can definitely see the end. Prior to this people would ask me what I was going to do my first week of retirement and I didn't have a great answer because it was so hard to imagine.

There are some people here at the office I will miss, but we are planning out lunches at our favorite places together. I picture myself coming back up to go to lunch with them once in a while, but maybe that isn't realistic. We shall see.

So all in all, today under the fluorescent lights isn't so bad. It's surreal to me after being on this forum for so long to actually be one of the people with 2 weeks left.

(Sorry for the rambling, but it beats working )
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
It's surreal to me after being on this forum for so long to actually be one of the people with 2 weeks left.

If I were you, I'd retire in a week - not two Shabby!
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #54

"It's surreal to me after being on this forum for so long to actually be one of the people with 2 weeks left."

I feel the same way - after all these years of figuring out the numbers and trying to plan and asking a million questions here and reading every thread voraciously, I only have a week to go...surreal is definitely the word!!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Excellent choice! The best I had come up with was "Take This Job and Shove It" which is kinda overused by now.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations CindyBlue!!!!

There are only so many springs and summers, and I think this time of year is excellent time to retire, although personally I went Jan 4th, and I still LOVED IT!!!!!

I can imagine you're a little nervous! But you worked for it, and now it's time to enjoy your reward!!!

These last days will creep by like molasses....but, rest assured, if you're like a lot of ue retirees, the time will FLY after you're out!!!! I'm retired since Jan 2013 and it feels like 20 minutes ago sometimes!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post

There are only so many springs and summers . . . .
I am reminded of this excellent passage from Paul Bowles great novel The Sheltering Sky

“Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.”

If that is not an argument for early retirement, I don't know what is.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Excellent choice! The best I had come up with was "Take This Job and Shove It" which is kinda overused by now.
When my time comes, I will probably use the same song I used when I drove out of my college town for the last time: "I Can See for Miles and Miles" by the Who.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Congratulations CindyBlue!!!!

There are only so many springs and summers, and I think this time of year is excellent time to retire, although personally I went Jan 4th, and I still LOVED IT!!!!!

I can imagine you're a little nervous! But you worked for it, and now it's time to enjoy your reward!!!

These last days will creep by like molasses....but, rest assured, if you're like a lot of ue retirees, the time will FLY after you're out!!!! I'm retired since Jan 2013 and it feels like 20 minutes ago sometimes!!!!
Very nervous about it. Second guessing myself every minute lately, too. But I have made the decision and sent in my papers, so I have no choice but to move forward. I'm sure it will be fine after I've actually done it and been retired for awhile (smile!)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #60

Well I hope ya'll come back and let us know how it is from the other side!