Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm too lazy to do the math so I just leave dbl tax (9%) & round up

gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Sounds like a good idea and I might borrow it. Hey wait ... there is still some math in there!

Or if the numbers are there for the various percentages, one could just deduct 10% from those numbers to remove tax. Still some math involved unfortunately.

I have a little cheat sheet in my wallet but I'm too lazy to pull it out most of the time.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #223
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's interesting--we are taking our first VBT trip this fall as a sort of one-time bucket list experience so I am very glad you mentioned this. ..Now I'm going to really aware if we're being primed for tips beyond the "recommended guidelines." I'm generally an overtipper, but for some reason this surprised me.
Yes it was our bucket list item too and I did not read the fine print. I asked several fellow trippers and they all referenced the welcome package that was as well-read as yours! Fortunately, were were travelling with a seasoned biker who was on his 7th trip and he provided guidance.

(I must admit that the biking leaders did provide more value added than most cruise ship staff.)
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #224
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
First, I write down the amount of the bill, pre-tax, but after adding-in any discounts. This adding-in the free stuff is important if you're doing groupons and things like that. Or we have places with loyalty credits. So if the bill was $45 and we got two half-priced beers (a $5 value), I'd write down 50, then write down half of that, so I'd write 25, and add the two (in my head) to get 75. So that's the least tip I'd give: $7.50. If you leave the receipt, the server might see those two numbers (50 and 25) and might not even know what you were doing. It's easy to do 2*50 or 3*50 (in my head) if the service was great, or if it's a place we come back to often, or they ask me how my kids are doing, lol!

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote