Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 87 year old mom eats out 5 nights a week.

To the dismay of her eventual heirs (my brother and me), she tips anywhere from 20%-50% depending on the personality of the server--how friendly they are.

I told her about this thread and she said: "Tell your friends that if they have to think about how much to tip, they should stay home!" (harumpf!!)

Just passing it on. Don't kill the messenger.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

To the dismay of her eventual heirs (my brother and me), she tips anywhere from 20%-50% depending on the personality of the server--how friendly they are.

I told her about this thread and she said: "Tell your friends that if they have to think about how much to tip, they should stay home!" (harumpf!!)

I'll bet that she gets great service and enjoys her meals out.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Tell your mother she sounds very wise and like she is having a lot of fun!
Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Tell your mother she sounds very wise and like she is having a lot of fun!
I will, as soon as she sobers up later this morning.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll tip up to 20% of the pre-tax amount when the service is excellent.

DW is and always has been a fast eater. So she'll finish the main course well before me. The wait staff must be trained to descend on our table with a dessert menu in hand the minute she puts her fork down. I find it really annoying to be pestered with a dessert offering when I'm still eating the main course.

Come to think of it, I (we) rarely have dessert when eating out.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Is tipping not customarily 15% in Ontario? I think I googled it beforehand and Canadian tipping guidelines for restaurants were roughly what it is in the US Maybe it was 15-18% there, while I've seen 18-20% suggested here in the US (though the autocalculate receipts usually have a 15%, 18%, and 20% autocalculate on the receipt).
It is, but I was simply pointing out how the staff already make minimum wage, and tips are on top of that. So a full time waiter in Ontario has a base salary of $22,500 plus free medical.

So they are, of course, happy to accept tips as well.
This is a pretty good income, considering you don't need to finish high school for that job.

Compare that to US where base could be $2.95 and no medical. Here tips are needed due to low pay.

I think this is simply something picked up from the US, and Canadian's don't realize they overpay for it, just like they don't realize they over pay for Autos (even ones made in Canada are up to 10K cheaper in US). Clothes (GAP charges 15% extra after accounting for exchange and taxes in Canada than US).
Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #147

Yeah, I'm with Marko's Ma, she knows how to live! I bet they all want to serve her well and make her happy.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I love your mom. I bet she is a happy person.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I am late to the party, I can't help but comment on some of the statements and sentiments in this thread. I personally much prefer the European approach, where a tip is an extra expression of gratitude for good service and not an expected fraction of normal compensation.

Several early posters mention Tipping-out and tip pools where cooks and others received a part of the servers' tips.... In order to be a legal tip pool, only people interacting directly with the customer and routinely tipped can participate. Managers, cooks, etc participating can invalidate the tip pool and lead to substantial liability to the restaurant (both to the government as well as backpay to the servers). This is because the restaurant takes a credit for the tips to true-up the wages they pay to the minimum wage amount.

Also, a mandatory charge is NOT a tip. Using such a charge as part of tip pool will also make it illegal and could lead to backpay and penalties. (1)

I say get rid of this weird process of separating payment for the service component of a product from its stated price. Charge me an appropriate price to begin with.. Just my $.02

(1) Ahmed, Rebecca, "Legal regulations of tip pooling and tip sharing in the United States hospitality industry" (2009). UNLV Theses/
Dissertations/Professional Papers/Capstones. Paper 593.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
I say get rid of this weird process of separating payment for the service component of a product from its stated price. Charge me an appropriate price to begin with.. Just my $.02
That's why I spend virtually no time thinking about it and stick 15% on there when it's obvious you're supposed to tip.

I do spend more time thinking about tipping at the places where I'm not sure if you're supposed to tip or not. Most recently it was at a chili restaurant while on vacation(Gold Star Chili??) in Ohio near Cincinnati. You order at the table from a menu (but they have a counter where you can also order??). They bring the food to you. I can't recall them ever coming around to check on water or food. Then you pay the bill at the counter as you leave. We had to get up to ask for the cookies that were supposed to come with the kids' meals. The "waitress" also doubled as the cashier and might have helped with the food prep. Do you tip? I glanced around, didn't see any cash on the tables from other customers. I didn't tip.

In this situation, I'm bothered by the anxiety of either wasting money when no tip is expected, or not leaving a tip and being seen as "stiffing" the waitstaff. It's a crazy system we have going on, and we do the best we can I guess.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good for her!

I also notice my Dad tipping huge on his daily cheap eats out.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
My experience at a local brewery is just the opposite. There was no recommended tip, and the bill just showed the steeply discounted happy hour prices for beers and appetizers. After leaving a generous tip based on my recollection of the "list prices", I talked to our waitress and suggested they should at least show the full price, then the discount. I think (hope?) most people would tip on the non-discounted price.

After thanking me for the tip, and the comment, she went on to say that the staff refers to happy hour pricing as "half price apps, half price tips".
DW collects the half off chits for haircuts, then pays the regular amount, so that half goes for the tip. She is popular as a customer.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

All these 8 pages has been fun to read (sorta). I have one question to ask the servers and proprietors here. How do you know the difference if I tip simply by adding a dollar amount on the CC slip or stuff some $$ under the plate as I leave. You can only guess if the tip is 18% on the taxed total or 20% on the pretax bill, right? And what do you figure I'm tipping on if I decide to leave a few more bucks.

There seems to be quite a division here amongst the posters here regarding tipping on pre or post tax no matter how we calculate the end result. Does anyone at the restaurant even know? And in the end, does it really matter how we calculate any tip?

On a side note, I sometimes feel that the cashiers/proprietors may see me as cheap when I pay by CC and then leave cash at the table. They only see the CC transaction.

And don't get me started on the places where you can order by kiosk at the table and pay via the same kiosk. Limited service = limited tip IMO. If you want to be a fast food restaurant, then open a McDonalds!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I also notice my Dad tipping huge on his daily cheap eats out.
We always tip well in restaurants that serve breakfast. They deliver water, juice, coffee several times, mains and deserve a good tip, better than 15% probably.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #155
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of course wait staff bring stuff to the table a few times during your meal...that's their job. But, they don't do a single thing to earn an hourly wage above what other minimum wage jobs pay.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Known to be thrifty. at best. Still, learned that members of the female persuasion, especially those who have waited table in the past, note with approbation or disapproval tip amounts that are left. 20% seems not to be met with disapproving sniffs and digging into her purse here. I try and tip cash, round up, and don't consider state tax. Sometimes being cheap costs too much and I know where my bread is buttered.

Marco's Mom seems like the archetype.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
All these 8 pages has been fun to read (sorta). I have one question to ask the servers and proprietors here. How do you know the difference if I tip simply by adding a dollar amount on the CC slip or stuff some $$ under the plate as I leave. You can only guess if the tip is 18% on the taxed total or 20% on the pretax bill, right? And what do you figure I'm tipping on if I decide to leave a few more bucks.

There seems to be quite a division here amongst the posters here regarding tipping on pre or post tax no matter how we calculate the end result. Does anyone at the restaurant even know? And in the end, does it really matter how we calculate any tip?

On a side note, I sometimes feel that the cashiers/proprietors may see me as cheap when I pay by CC and then leave cash at the table. They only see the CC transaction.

And don't get me started on the places where you can order by kiosk at the table and pay via the same kiosk. Limited service = limited tip IMO. If you want to be a fast food restaurant, then open a McDonalds!

The server doesn't know whether you are tipping 18% of the taxed total or 20% of the pretax total, unless you show your math. What the prior servers are trying to get across is that to us, the difference between leaving $2.75 or $3 is not enough for us, the customer, to care about, but to the server if every person they served left an extra quarter their nightly total might be an additional $20. That's $80-$120 extra per week, which I'd consider significant. To the server, it can make a difference in paying bills that month. So we are willing to throw in a little extra because we know what it feels like to be making a sub-minimum hourly wage and then have someone leave a tiny tip...especially since the reality is that most people are either 20% tippers or 5% tippers. No server is going to complain that they got a $9.23 tip instead of a $10 tip on a $50 bill, but a $4 tip on a $50 bill is not uncommon. BTW, most hated of all are the 1 penny tippers who left a penny in protest of the tipping system.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
BTW, most hated of all are the 1 penny tippers who left a penny in protest of the tipping system.
I thought that practice was for service that was just awful, and it was done to make sure the server knew the tip wasn't forgotten.

Once I actually did leave a 1 cent tip. We sat there for an hour, finally got drinks, and then... nothing. Normally I would have left much earlier but we were with others that did not want to leave. I got up and asked for the bill for the drinks, paid it, and left a penny tip. And of course have never been back.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

The new way of calculating a restaurant tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought that practice was for service that was just awful, and it was done to make sure the server knew the tip wasn't forgotten.

Once I actually did leave a 1 cent tip. We sat there for an hour, finally got drinks, and then... nothing. Normally I would have left much earlier but we were with others that did not want to leave. I got up and asked for the bill for the drinks, paid it, and left a penny tip. And of course have never been back.

When I was serving it was explained to me that a penny tip was an indication that the person didn't believe in tipping, and the orientation of the penny was your cue into how well you did in the customer's opinion. Heads up meant you did well, tails up meant you did poorly.

As a customer, if I thought the service was horrendous I wouldn't leave a single cent and would leave a note. That's a great way to indicate displeasure. I'd also say something if I saw a manager or host on the way out, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finally, if its a buffet restaurant, where I go and get my own food, I reduce the tip as I deserve part of the tip, since I had to do part of the work.
DW and recently had lunch at a local salad buffet place. Great salad choices, get your own drink, get your own refills. During the meal, a woman working at the place stopped by and said "hi, if there is anything I can get you let me know" and departed. I wondered what her job was since we were able to get it all ourselves.

I looked around for a place to deposit our dirty dishes, but saw no option for this.We did not clear our table when we left; maybe that was her job.

I did not believe that a tip was necessary. Maybe DW slipped her a buck under her plate (she's sneaky like that).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote