Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
You are paying/tipping for service and the cost of the entree on the plate that the server is carrying has NOTHING to do with it. And system is not influencing the right behaviors. Think about it, if I were a wait person, what would me objective be to maximize my income?
Push the high(er)-priced entrees on the menu for the owner. Probably the original reasoning.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Wizard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_(Seinfeld)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Once I actually did leave a 1 cent tip. We sat there for an hour, finally got drinks, and then... nothing. Normally I would have left much earlier but we were with others that did not want to leave. I got up and asked for the bill for the drinks, paid it, and left a penny tip. And of course have never been back.

I have done this as well to let that crappy waitress know that the tip was not forgotten, but the service was so horrible I could have died and still be sitting there.
She is lucky I didn't raise a complaint to the owner of the restaurant to have her fired. So I guess in some way she was happy to get a penny tip.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Of course wait staff bring stuff to the table a few times during your meal...that's their job. But, they don't do a single thing to earn an hourly wage above what other minimum wage jobs pay.
But how else can you enjoy the vestige of upper society life ?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #165

Weird stuff does happen from time to time, but not often. I did walk out of a place once after sitting down and not even getting a glass of water or a menu for 10 minutes. No tip either -

I tip at belly up to the counter places, throw the change into the bucket. I tip 10% on take out orders. I like to support the places I like and always will.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Weird stuff does happen from time to time, but not often. I did walk out of a place once after sitting down and not even getting a glass of water or a menu for 10 minutes. No tip either -

I tip at belly up to the counter places, throw the change into the bucket. I tip 10% on take out orders. I like to support the places I like and always will.
I am curious how others tip on take-out. I typically tip $1, maybe 2 ( usually a bill of $15+/-). Am I being cheap?

On the other hand, If I am getting a very inexpensive meal at a mom and pop diner, water glass filled several times, coffee cup always full, 30% or more is not uncommon.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I am curious how others tip on take-out. I typically tip $1, maybe 2 ( usually a bill of $15+/-). Am I being cheap?
I see no reason to tip at carryout.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

On the other hand, If I am getting a very inexpensive meal at a mom and pop diner, water glass filled several times, coffee cup always full, 30% or more is not uncommon.

This describes what I do pretty well, for both takeout and the inexpensive meal.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:52 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I love your mom. I bet she is a happy person.
Even more happy after her second martini.

She is a hoot. Very, very social and sharp as a tack.

She goes to moderately higher end places but insists on sitting at the bar instead of a table; "the bar is where all the nice people sit" and spends most of the night talking to whoever sits next to her.

The bartenders become her friends and seem to enjoy her as much as she does them.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #170

I just realized I tip jimmy johns delivery guys 20%
Old 08-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Lol, that's me but I've already been called cheap 😊

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Poor wages for wait staff has been accepted as the norm and customers are now the bad guy for not paying the unpaid wages. Here in Canada no one is allowed to pay less than minimum wage in any industry, restaurants included. Perhaps that's why we sometimes get the reputation as poor tippers...our wait staff don't have to live on $5 an hour and many people may be unaware of how poorly wait staff are paid in some areas of the US.
I think you misunderstand how this works in the US. Restaurant wait staff are subject to a minimum wage-it is just lower, acknowledging the fact that these are tipped employees.

And trust me, wait people in the US are not living on $5 an hour. But on the other hand, if they dislike their wages they should seek higher compensation in other industries.

Having said that, as a former waiter, i felt well-paid and my pay was linked to performance: a clear benefit for me, my customers and my employer.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
The server doesn't know whether you are tipping 18% of the taxed total or 20% of the pretax total, unless you show your math. What the prior servers are trying to get across is that to us, the difference between leaving $2.75 or $3 is not enough for us, the customer, to care about, but to the server if every person they served left an extra quarter their nightly total might be an additional $20. That's $80-$120 extra per week, which I'd consider significant. To the server, it can make a difference in paying bills that month. So we are willing to throw in a little extra because we know what it feels like to be making a sub-minimum hourly wage and then have someone leave a tiny tip...especially since the reality is that most people are either 20% tippers or 5% tippers. No server is going to complain that they got a $9.23 tip instead of a $10 tip on a $50 bill, but a $4 tip on a $50 bill is not uncommon. BTW, most hated of all are the 1 penny tippers who left a penny in protest of the tipping system.
I'm going to question that 5% they would be few and far between, but really if I leave a 20% tax pre tax, why should I worry about making up for the poor tippers? That's not my problem.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
The server doesn't know whether you are tipping 18% of the taxed total or 20% of the pretax total, unless you show your math. What the prior servers are trying to get across is that to us, the difference between leaving $2.75 or $3 is not enough for us, the customer, to care about, but to the server if every person they served left an extra quarter their nightly total might be an additional $20. That's $80-$120 extra per week, which I'd consider significant. To the server, it can make a difference in paying bills that month. So we are willing to throw in a little extra because we know what it feels like to be making a sub-minimum hourly wage and then have someone leave a tiny tip...especially since the reality is that most people are either 20% tippers or 5% tippers. No server is going to complain that they got a $9.23 tip instead of a $10 tip on a $50 bill, but a $4 tip on a $50 bill is not uncommon. BTW, most hated of all are the 1 penny tippers who left a penny in protest of the tipping system.
No people have no way to know unless you make it obvious. So tipping just on the food does not make someone "cheap". The amount could be the same, more, or less than someone else who tips on the total, rounds up, rounds down, or whatever.

Having said that, tipping is not traditionally motivated by a desire to help people pay their bills. If it were, then you would probably be tipping fast food, clerks, and other lesser paid workers on that same theory, would you not?

When someone tips a penny, they usually have a grievance of some sort, which may have nothing to do with the waitperson, the service, or anything else within the control of the waitperson. I certainly tried not to let someone with a problem ruin my day as a waitperson. I also noted that people from different cultures may have different understandings of the tradition in the US. Disappointing, but again not fixable by the wait person.

Good Living!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
And trust me, wait people in the US are not living on $5 an hour. But on the other hand, if they dislike their wages they should seek higher compensation in other industries.
I think if you gave servers the choice between getting $2.85 an hour plus tips OR a straight $15 an hour and no tips, they'd take the tip route.

Servers I know claim close to $20 an hour and more.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 Many years ago, DD worked at a Chinese restaurant that was mostly take-out and had a few small tables that people could eat at (but no wait service... you ordered at the counter and they called you when it was ready) but like many such places they had a tip jar by the register. I was genuinely surprised at the amount of tips that she brought home as I never thought much about tipping in such situations... what has the person done to deserve a tip other than run the cash register?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #177

Quote:
I think you misunderstand how this works in the US. Restaurant wait staff are subject to a minimum wage-it is just lower, acknowledging the fact that these are tipped employees.

Having said that, as a former waiter, i felt well-paid and my pay was linked to performance: a clear benefit for me, my customers and my employer.

Cheers!
Note that it is not the case in California that tipped employees get a lower minimum wage, they get the same minimum wage as all other employees.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #178

Quote:
When someone tips a penny, they usually have a grievance of some sort, which may have nothing to do with the waitperson, the service, or anything else within the control of the waitperson. ......
For me, it's incredibly rare, only 1 or 2 times in life, and it was because of the wait staff ignoring me.
Yes, the wait staff could fix it by doing their job instead of chatting amongst themselves in full view of the tables

If I disapproved of tipping, or thought tipping was not allowed, I'd leave nothing.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm going to question that 5% they would be few and far between, but really if I leave a 20% tax pre tax, why should I worry about making up for the poor tippers? That's not my problem.

I'd say it depends on what you consider few and far between. The 5% tippers comprised probably around 10% of customers at the two restaurants I worked in, both in a small southwest US town. That was an average, some (bad) servers noticed much higher percentages of low tippers and the really good servers always got 15%+.

But I don't think you should worry about making up for poor tippers. I'm just explaining the mindset of the former waitstaff who say they tip high, since someone asked.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No people have no way to know unless you make it obvious. So tipping just on the food does not make someone "cheap". The amount could be the same, more, or less than someone else who tips on the total, rounds up, rounds down, or whatever.

Having said that, tipping is not traditionally motivated by a desire to help people pay their bills. If it were, then you would probably be tipping fast food, clerks, and other lesser paid workers on that same theory, would you not?

I tip "high" for anybody I suspect is getting less than the non-tipped minimum wage, which is why I will tip higher in some states than others. Somebody mentioned California, for example, as a state where even tipped positions earn the normal minimum wage. My tips are smaller in Cali than Nevada or Arizona for equivalent service. My goal, and this is my goal only, is to make sure the person makes at least minimum wage for the hour or so I interact with them.

But to answer your question, yes I do tip other low wage workers. Fast food, delivery guys, etc. I tip them a much smaller amount than I tip wait staff since I know they are making full minimum wage, but I tip them. I make plenty, they don't. A dollar means a lot more to them than it does to me.