Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I usually leave around 30% for the bartender. But she's hot and deserving of it.
I hope you aren't serious.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Since we often visit restaurants offering "specials" (pie on Thursdays - $1, etc.) I have noticed that the "suggested gratuity" always includes the full price of the special when figuring it. I have no problem with this - especially since it's only suggested and not forced.
My experience at a local brewery is just the opposite. There was no recommended tip, and the bill just showed the steeply discounted happy hour prices for beers and appetizers. After leaving a generous tip based on my recollection of the "list prices", I talked to our waitress and suggested they should at least show the full price, then the discount. I think (hope?) most people would tip on the non-discounted price.

After thanking me for the tip, and the comment, she went on to say that the staff refers to happy hour pricing as "half price apps, half price tips".
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
But, instead they don't pay a normal wage and then the customer is the "cheap" one for not tipping enough.
Actually that is part of the whole $15 minimum wage issue. Removing the exemption for folks that are tipped from the minimum wage. (in most places there is a lower minimum wage for folks that get tips). Now of course the other question is if the server is getting $15 such as in Ca or Seattle, or NYC how much to tip? 20% seems excessive with the higher minimum wage.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually that is part of the whole $15 minimum wage issue. Removing the exemption for folks that are tipped from the minimum wage. (in most places there is a lower minimum wage for folks that get tips). Now of course the other question is if the server is getting $15 such as in Ca or Seattle, or NYC how much to tip? 20% seems excessive with the higher minimum wage.
I don't know if it is true everywhere, but here waitresses do not get the minimum wage. Not sure why (is it because they are not involved in interstate commerce, maybe?), but anyway they only get about $2/hour plus tips.

We ALWAYS tip because of their low pay. If a waitress or waiter does a great job, we add a little extra.

Edited to add: OK I found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped..._United_States

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yep, this always made me angry - much more than calculating the tip with the tax. It got to the place where, if I didn't see the policy listed on the menu ("We add 18% gratuity to all meals with 8 or more patrons...") I would ask whenever there was a significant sized group. Back in the day, I bounced a couple of managers about the "tip on the tip" and they gave the excuse that they couldn't suppress the tip line (since most of their meals were smaller groups - not subject to the "forced" gratuity.) Then I would ask why they did not point out the potential "double tip" to patrons upon presenting the bill - at which point they would blame the wait staff. I no longer have to worry about "big" groups as that only happened back when I was w*rking. Yet another advantage of ER, heh, heh - no staff "get-togethers."
I have had the same experience (and like you, mostly when working and entertaining customers).

On a related topic, has any else noticed the appearance of tip lines when dining in Europe? The menu says, in small print at the bottom, "service compris", and the locals all know not to tip, or just leave a small rounding tip. Makes me wonder if they are trying to take advantage of the gullible Americans.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have had the same experience (and like you, mostly when working and entertaining customers).

On a related topic, has any else noticed the appearance of tip lines when dining in Europe? The menu says, in small print at the bottom, "service compris", and the locals all know not to tip, or just leave a small rounding tip. Makes me wonder if they are trying to take advantage of the gullible Americans.
Trust me, all Americans are not that gullible.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know if it is true everywhere, but here waitresses do not get the minimum wage. Not sure why (is it because they are not involved in interstate commerce, maybe?), but anyway they only get about $2/hour plus tips.

We ALWAYS tip because of their low pay. If a waitress or waiter does a great job, we add a little extra.

Edited to add: OK I found this on Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped..._United_States
It depends on the laws of the state involved. In Ca its the full rate no exemption for tipped employees. Which means when the wage goes to 15 per hour in 2020 in Ca one should reduce the tip somewhat perhaps back to the old 10%
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I hope you aren't serious.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
When I go out to eat by myself and the bill is $10-15 I will always leave $4-5.
Leaving a 30% to 33% tip every time makes no sense, I don't care how much money you have.

With a $15. an hour minimum wage becoming the law in the near future (at least here in California), many of these restaurant service workers will be getting paid more then Police, Firefighters and certainly Teachers. What a screwed up system we have!
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
With a $15. an hour minimum wage becoming the law in the near future (at least here in California), many of these restaurant service workers will be getting paid more then Police, Firefighters and certainly Teachers. What a screwed up system we have!
you are going to have some very expensive burgers in CA if that's the case
Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I never understood why this is a sticking point for people. I always understood the tip to be 15 to 20% of the service. As a customer I agree that the tip is part of the cost of the service. Why wouldn't I tip on the tax?
That's the way I've always looked at it. Most servers work pretty hard for their money, and the small difference is negligible to me. I even take it a step farther and round the total, including tip, up to the nearest dollar.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #72

Yup, and a lot of smaller places will go out of business!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Trust me, all Americans are not that gullible.
Having lived in France for many years, I can attest that many (not all) are that gullible.

We've had to tell visitors from the US how it works and sometimes they STILL leave a 15% tip because "they feel guilty walking out not tipping"!

Some places in tourist areas will give you a credit card slip with "gratuity" listed, like in the US; this is illegal but they still do it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you are going to have some very expensive burgers in CA if that's the case
And those police, firefighters and teachers (do they really make less than $30k per year? ($15X40X52) Won't be able to afford it.

Seriously, let's not kid ourselves. An increase in the minimum wage will only mean fewer staff, more overworked staff and poorer service. And higher prices that the management can hide behind.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Seriously, let's not kid ourselves. An increase in the minimum wage will only mean fewer staff, more overworked staff and poorer service. And higher prices that the management can hide behind.
maybe we should do a pole on how much a big mac costs in our home towns? that should be a good barometer
Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #76

In California, I tip double what the tax is, which can vary from 7.5% to 8.5%, making the tip 15 to 19%.

However, I leave a minimum tip of $5 if it's just me, or $3 a head for a party of two or more when the meal costs are inexpensive enough to warrant.

But, when minimum wage goes to $15 an hour, the premise being that it is a living wage, then I'm not going to tip a wait staff any more than I'd tip any other service worker. (Meaning ZERO tip) Look, I didn't push for the minimum wage for wait staff to jump up that high. I don't consider it my fault that they may loose money on the deal. But I'm not going to tip well compensated employees for doing what they are paid to do right in the first place and paid a FULL wage for it as well.

Hopefully, restaurants will push hard to eliminate tipping when the wages jump to $15 an hour, acknowledging that wages are now at a level commensurate to full compensation, and we patrons won't have to.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Hopefully, restaurants will push hard to eliminate tipping when the wages jump to $15 an hour, acknowledging that wages are now at a level commensurate to full compensation, and we patrons won't have to.
I think restaurants will want to keep the tip idea, but will share less of it with the staff being paid $15 whenever possible.

I always suspect when you pay a tip on the CC, that the restaurant keeps some of it for the Manger or profit, as how would a server know what you tipped on the CC ?
I think it's harder to track than cash in the pocket at the end of the night.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I always suspect when you pay a tip on the CC, that the restaurant keeps some of it for the Manger or profit, as how would a server know what you tipped on the CC ?
I think it's harder to track than cash in the pocket at the end of the night.
This is why when I do put a restaurant meal on a cc (which is not often) I pay the tip in cash.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
And those police, firefighters and teachers (do they really make less than $30k per year? ($15X40X52)
You forgot to add in the yearly tip amount. That yearly $31,200. salary could easily include another $20,000. in tips, so yes, teachers and many Public Safety people make the same or less.

Even without tips, a waitress will earn more then those Federal Forest Service Firefighters working their ass off in 100 degree heat.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
You forgot to add in the yearly tip amount. That yearly $31,200. salary could easily include another $20,000. in tips, so yes, teachers and many Public Safety people make the same or less.

Even without tips, a waitress will earn more then those Federal Forest Service Firefighters working their ass off in 100 degree heat.
I know a person who earned $10,000 in wages ($11 per hour here) working 2-3 days a week, and $30,000 in tips. She declared $3,000 to keep the tax people off her back, and of course, paid very little tax on her "reported" earnings of $13,000.

$40,000 in (almost) tax free earnings isn't that bad for a 2-3 day week...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote