Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We always tip well in restaurants that serve breakfast. They deliver water, juice, coffee several times, mains and deserve a good tip, better than 15% probably.
Dad's not spending much these days, and eating out breakfast and lunch is a major social interaction. Pretty much at the same places. These places are very cheap, and he's a regular. So he tips big. Sometimes the breakfast place even checks up on him if he hasn't been seen for a short while. Very small town and lots of regulars his age go there almost daily.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
But to answer your question, yes I do tip other low wage workers. Fast food, delivery guys, etc. I tip them a much smaller amount than I tip wait staff since I know they are making full minimum wage, but I tip them. I make plenty, they don't. A dollar means a lot more to them than it does to me.
How do you tip at a fast food restaurant? I've never seen a tip jar at McDs/Burger King/Taco Bell type places. I see them at Starbucks. That's the entire universe of fast food places I visit I guess.

I worked at Jersey Mikes back in the 1990's for about a year. I received a tip exactly once. I think it was $1 or $5. The guy reached over the counter and handed me the money directly. Maybe I loaded his sandwich up with tons of meat (wasn't properly trained on portion sizes, I'll admit).

We also had a tip jar there, but I think the manager used it to buy drugs since we never got a penny of it (he was later fired for coking it up while on the job and stealing $ out of the register - my register!).
Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
How do you tip at a fast food restaurant? I've never seen a tip jar at McDs/Burger King/Taco Bell type places. I see them at Starbucks. That's the entire universe of fast food places I visit I guess.

I worked at Jersey Mikes back in the 1990's for about a year. I received a tip exactly once. I think it was $1 or $5. The guy reached over the counter and handed me the money directly. Maybe I loaded his sandwich up with tons of meat (wasn't properly trained on portion sizes, I'll admit).

We also had a tip jar there, but I think the manager used it to buy drugs since we never got a penny of it (he was later fired for coking it up while on the job and stealing $ out of the register - my register!).

I don't visit places like McD's/Burger King/Taco Bell so I'm not sure about them. My Chipotle has a tip jar, and so does the local taco shop. That's about the extent of my fast food. At carry out places like Chinese and Thai food, they have a line on the receipt to add in the tip.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We left our server a 78% tip last night. Yup, we are big spenders. The Monday special at the local bar & grill is $2.99 cheesesteaks with potato chips (eat in only). Sometimes I'll upgrade to fries and DH will have a beer, but not last night. We just had the special with water to drink.

Our total bill after tax was $6.34, we left $11. I realize the proprietor isn't making much (if anything) on our meal at that price, but at least the server (it's always the same woman on Mondays) made a little in the thirty minutes we occupied the table. The place was hopping; she probably made out pretty good yesterday.

Oh, and the cheesesteaks are large enough that we only eat half and save the other half for lunch today.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
For most people the difference between pre tax and after tax is minuscule. If your bill is $100 you might have $8 in tax so an extra $2 to the server. How much are you spending per meal that this really matters?
This.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Well when you pay other people for services do you round up and or pay extra and say it's only a buck or two Do you round up the price of fast food meal special because you drink 4 glasses of soda instead of one?

No one is going to call cheap on me because I don't want to tip on tax.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #187

Based on the indications here that in California servers make the Federal minimum wage, I just did a quick search for an app that helped the traveler decide whether tipping would be fair between servers in various geographies. $15 in one spot and $2.13 across some arbitrary line, 2 miles away? It wouldn't be fair to only give 15% to the $2.13/hr. I thought (about 30 seconds) about writing such an app, but based on this, I realized that it's so utterly complicated, it would be a full time j*b to keep the data correct.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

I think it is interesting that some folks tip people based on their perception of the person's wage level. It makes tipping like a kind of subjective charity.

Wondering if someone with that thinking would tip the following workers:
Counter staff at auto parts store
Counter staff at movie theater
Usher at concert
Cashier at grocery store
Amusement park attendant

I do not tip counter staff unless they are providing some service other than the basic purpose of their job. I also see no reason to tip on a carryout food order.

Tipping is based on tradition and personal service. Not wage levels

Cheers!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I don't visit places like McD's/Burger King/Taco Bell so I'm not sure about them. My Chipotle has a tip jar, and so does the local taco shop. That's about the extent of my fast food. At carry out places like Chinese and Thai food, they have a line on the receipt to add in the tip.
Thanks for the response. I'd call Chipotle/Moe's "fast casual" restaurants, and now that I think about it I do recall seeing a tip jar at Moe's.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I think it is interesting that some folks tip people based on their perception of the person's wage level. It makes tipping like a kind of subjective charity.

Wondering if someone with that thinking would tip the following workers:
Counter staff at auto parts store
Counter staff at movie theater
Usher at concert
Cashier at grocery store
Amusement park attendant

I do not tip counter staff unless they are providing some service other than the basic purpose of their job. I also see no reason to tip on a carryout food order.

Tipping is based on tradition and personal service. Not wage levels

Cheers!
Exactly, for example I just found out the California bush firefighters, the ones right now trying to save homes from wildfires every year (not the city firefighters), earn MINIMUM wage.

I was shocked as they risk health, and life battling the fires and don't get any tips.

The smoke jumpers, which are the ones that parachute into the fire with water, food, and an axe like tool are paid $15/hr but they do get an extra 25% when actually fighting the fires (is that like a gov't tip?).

Parachuting into forest fires for $15 an hour - Aug. 22, 2016

Why does CA not have a tip jar for the firefighters.... oh yeah, it's not traditionally done....
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #191
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Exactly, for example I just found out the California bush firefighters, the ones right now trying to save homes from wildfires every year (not the city firefighters), earn MINIMUM wage.

I was shocked as they risk health, and life battling the fires and don't get any tips.

The smoke jumpers, which are the ones that parachute into the fire with water, food, and an axe like tool are paid $15/hr but they do get an extra 25% when actually fighting the fires (is that like a gov't tip?).

Parachuting into forest fires for $15 an hour - Aug. 22, 2016

Why does CA not have a tip jar for the firefighters.... oh yeah, it's not traditionally done....
Actually the smoke jumpers are then like folks in the military who when in combat get combat pay in addition to the regular pay. (225 per month in the military if in a combat zone)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #192
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I go 20% on the whole check and round up. Cash.

I'm a regular at the places I frequent and they just love me. Take good care of me too.

There are lots of other places I've been to once. Yup, I don't complain to the management I just never ever go there again.
This is generally the way I do it, except usually put it on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My 87 year old mom eats out 5 nights a week.

To the dismay of her eventual heirs (my brother and me), she tips anywhere from 20%-50% depending on the personality of the server--how friendly they are.

I told her about this thread and she said: "Tell your friends that if they have to think about how much to tip, they should stay home!" (harumpf!!)

Just passing it on. Don't kill the messenger.
Marko, your Mom has it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I tip at belly up to the counter places, throw the change into the bucket. I tip 10% on take out orders. I like to support the places I like and always will.
I also tip 10% when I take out from a restaurant. I do not tip at fast food locations where all the food is "take-out".

Personally I believe that if you are not willing to tip at least 15% on the price of the meal you should not be eating at the restaurant.

There is a big difference between being cheap and being frugal. Going to a lower cost restaurant is frugal; going to a higher cost restaurant, but tipping less because they did the same work as a person working serving lower cost dinners is cheap.

Tipping pre or post tax makes about a $1 difference, at most, for each meal.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

This article on tipping came out the other day. Apparently if you order a $10,000 bottle of wine, you should be tipping 15%-20% on it...plus the meal tip.

Tipping On Wine - Tipping Etiquette

"....Lizzie Post, who runs the Emily Post Institute named for her great-great grandmother...says anyone who can afford to order an expensive bottle of wine should be able to afford the tip that goes along with it—and that tip should be in the customary 15 to 20 percent range..."

and:
"..."It would be like saying, 'This steak is $50 and there is no way I'm going to leave $10 tip on that. I'll leave $3 because the rest is too much.' My thought for people like this is that they should stay at home and cook for themselves and serve themselves...."
Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #194
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This article on tipping came out the other day. Apparently if you order a $10,000 bottle of wine, you should be tipping 15%-20% on it...plus the meal tip.

Tipping On Wine - Tipping Etiquette

"....Lizzie Post, who runs the Emily Post Institute named for her great-great grandmother...says anyone who can afford to order an expensive bottle of wine should be able to afford the tip that goes along with it—and that tip should be in the customary 15 to 20 percent range..."

and:
"..."It would be like saying, 'This steak is $50 and there is no way I'm going to leave $10 tip on that. I'll leave $3 because the rest is too much.' My thought for people like this is that they should stay at home and cook for themselves and serve themselves...."
I agree with Emily Post. Tips are currently customarily 15-20% in this country on food and wine at a normal restaurant. If you cannot or will not pay this for normal/good service, you should buy your wine at the liquor store and stay home.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #195

I'm astounded that there are nearly 200 posts on this topic. More of a hot button issue for many than I would have guessed.

Personally, I'm a very generous tipper, which makes me a sucker in the eyes of many, but who cares?

@sengsational: I see what you're saying, and I just think that although such an app would probably be a popular item, the people who really want such a thing are probably too cheap to pay much for it, so you're right!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #196
Administrator

Regarding expensive wines, here's a blogpost by Frank Bruni, written in '08 when he was the NY Times food critic. He gives a view that is balanced, nuanced and reflects the access he had at the time. http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-on-wine/?_r=0
One snippet, which I think applies to not only to high cost wines but expensive dining in general:
Quote:
He told me that most of the diners there who order such wines tip around 20 percent on their checks, including the price of the wine.
But he said that that reality largely reflects those diners’ relationships with the restaurant. They’re regulars who come in all the time, and so they’ve established the kind of familiarity with the staff — and the staff has established the kind of familiarity with them — that entails a lot of personal attention, a lot of coddling.
He also wrote this, confirming that in these cases 20% is by no means a standard.
Quote:
This same sommelier said that few servers and few restaurants would be surprised — or feel significantly cheated — by a tip of 10 to 15 percent on a significantly high check whose principal component is pricey wine.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I agree with Emily Post. Tips are currently customarily 15-20% in this country on food and wine at a normal restaurant. If you cannot or will not pay this for normal/good service, you should buy your wine at the liquor store and stay home.
I agree too. Except that I would buy the wine at a specialty wine store for $2500 and pay their corkage fee of $100 and gladly tip the guy $15 to open it!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

I tipped the subway counter person a buck yesterday
Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #199

I always tip the counter person a buck when I pick up a pizza. It never fails to get a surprised look, which makes me happy.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

I tried to tip a cop once. Not only did it not help my case, the guy said it was a crime?? Bribery or something? So confusing, because CrimeStoppers is always advertising saying "all tips are appreciated". This whole tipping culture in the US confounds me all the time.