Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There were several who fell in love with it but their own homes hadn't sold. I think the reason why it has been on the market so long is liquidity - and the fact that in most markets across the US we are expensive. Our house is particularly attractive to older couples because the entire first floor (w master, study, garage, et. all) is accessible and the yard is small but there is lots of room on the 2nd floor for guests.

Younger couples are too busy to enjoy the view and have children who they want to play in the yard.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We went on our first serious home hunting trip to Portland. There is so much on the market but not that many with floor plans, and in neighborhoods, that suit our taste.

We saw one today that could work BUT it had been remodeled to suit a special taste... the guest bath was all in black, very abstract, and the master bath had been eeeh, extensively remodeled. There is a huge custom two-head shower with a huge picture-window that opens to the bedroom. Our realtor blushed when she saw that. My husband said it reminded him of a certain street in Amsterdam in the 60s. Any offer would take into consideration the cost 'restoration'.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

From what you describe, it looks like another sign that the economy is recovering. I'll drink to that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck with your house hunting.

Is said homeowner selling those bathrooms as being an upgraded feature of the home?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I suspect the owner bought it for a rental (this building does not limit rentals), it is near a University and it will likely be vacant in June. The current tenants are obviously guys.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it is near a University
...Reed College, eh?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Portland State University. American Plaza, Lincoln Tower. MLS# 9090141 for those who are curious.

For those following the core area condo market Sunday's auction results at the John Ross (entry level units in the South Waterfront neighborhood) are posted on OregonLive Front Porch.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I think we have addressed all concerns of our buyer, waiting for a sign off on all but the funding contingency.

We have started to pack stuff we wouldn't need even if the offer fails. All that would be required is to stow the boxes away and mop the floors to resume showing. I really want them to fish or cut bait as prime selling season is approaching.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #49

I hope it all works out.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I think we have addressed all concerns of our buyer, waiting for a sign off on all but the funding contingency.
You got a buyer? Great! I must have missed that post while on our cruise. If all goes as you hope/plan, when do you relocate?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

On or about May 10 so the clock is ticking.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

good luck, I know the pain of trying to sort out all that stuff (treasure) we collect over the years.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #53

Hope that the closing goes thru, as it's not easy having a house on the market for an extended period.

So does that mean you have found somewhere to live? Did you buy or are you renting?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We will buy, as soon as we are under contract I will provide details.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

The realtor put up the "SOLD" sign so it must be true. What has bedeviled us this last week was a concern about a union in our propane line. The plumber said this, the home inspector that... I felt like a ball in a soccer game! Today our propane dealer sent out their tech so say yea or nay, it was yea!!

We made an offer (which was accepted) on a unit in a co-op building in Portland. The seller is an estate that we were able to contact before it was shown. Spacious and virtually move-in ready. The building has their process, like references and a letter attesting that we have the money to pay the HOAs, so in theory we could be rejected. The building is older, built about 1958, but it and their finances are in great shape. Most residents leave in a pine box. The view isn't near as nice as our current home but the smiles of grand children will more than make up.

Now I pray that the buyers don't loose their jobs, or we have a major earthquake, before closing.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Brat!
I am sure you will miss your lovely home. But this is a new adventure!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The view isn't near as nice as our current home but the smiles of grand children will more than make up.
Congratulations and you are so right about the grandchildren making up for the view !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Great for you, Brat!

We have been poking around Portland lately for family reasons, too. I have seen more of the east side than when I grew up there. The east side is really funky. I could live there (some places--like near "Reeed" College ). (I almost went to Reed. Good thing I didn't, for many reasons.) Portland State always was a cool part of town.

All the best!

Ed
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes, Reed recruited me too, my SATs were very strong. I really liked the physics department until I learned that a thesis is required for graduation (all majors). Lots of smart students enroll but a high % leave because of the thesis.

We should be settled in by summer, PM me the next time you are in town.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We are buying in a co-op, the only one in Oregon I believe. They require references, some evidence of financial responsibility and an interview with members of their Board of Directors (they want to avoid PITAs). We have both been active in our current community. I could see that they were figuring out which committees would be a good fit. Husband is an architect and has been Project Manager on major jobs so there was the "we want to update the lobby", with his observation "first you need a program" (architect speak for figure out what you want to accomplish).

Now, the next group we need to keep happy is the staff. Don't want to burn our bridges during move-in.