The next step

good luck, I know the pain of trying to sort out all that stuff (treasure) we collect over the years.

Hope that the closing goes thru, as it's not easy having a house on the market for an extended period.

So does that mean you have found somewhere to live? Did you buy or are you renting?

We will buy, as soon as we are under contract I will provide details.

The realtor put up the "SOLD" sign so it must be true. What has bedeviled us this last week was a concern about a union in our propane line. The plumber said this, the home inspector that... I felt like a ball in a soccer game! Today our propane dealer sent out their tech so say yea or nay, it was yea!!

We made an offer (which was accepted) on a unit in a co-op building in Portland. The seller is an estate that we were able to contact before it was shown. Spacious and virtually move-in ready. The building has their process, like references and a letter attesting that we have the money to pay the HOAs, so in theory we could be rejected. The building is older, built about 1958, but it and their finances are in great shape. Most residents leave in a pine box. The view isn't near as nice as our current home but the smiles of grand children will more than make up.

Now I pray that the buyers don't loose their jobs, or we have a major earthquake, before closing.

Congratulations Brat!
I am sure you will miss your lovely home. But this is a new adventure! :)

Great for you, Brat!

We have been poking around Portland lately for family reasons, too. I have seen more of the east side than when I grew up there. The east side is really funky. I could live there (some places--like near "Reeed" College :cool:). (I almost went to Reed. Good thing I didn't, for many reasons.) Portland State always was a cool part of town.

All the best!

Ed

Oh yes, Reed recruited me too, my SATs were very strong. I really liked the physics department until I learned that a thesis is required for graduation (all majors). Lots of smart students enroll but a high % leave because of the thesis.

We should be settled in by summer, PM me the next time you are in town.

We are buying in a co-op, the only one in Oregon I believe. They require references, some evidence of financial responsibility and an interview with members of their Board of Directors (they want to avoid PITAs). We have both been active in our current community. I could see that they were figuring out which committees would be a good fit. Husband is an architect and has been Project Manager on major jobs so there was the "we want to update the lobby", with his observation "first you need a program" (architect speak for figure out what you want to accomplish).

Now, the next group we need to keep happy is the staff. Don't want to burn our bridges during move-in.

We managed to move our bedroom set in two days before a big family event - so we held a 'picnic in the pad' for the gang. The toddlers absolutely LOVED the empty rooms covered in deep WHITE cut pile carpets. It didn't take long for us to figure out that the carpeting wouldn't work for us.

Bottom line, the wood flooring was finished earlier this week and the rest of the furniture quickly followed. It's beginning to look like home. Now to tackle the boxes of books and china, and change the range.

The kids are now insisting that the door to the deck have a lock before the grandchildren can visit unaccompanied.. one more to-do!

Even with the 'upgrades', what a difference in our cash flow this move had made, but I do miss the calls of the Eagles and the low hum of ship engines .. I am looking forward to traveling once we are settled in.

Oh, this will be our last move. Our heirs can deal with our stuff.

This thread is useless without pictures! :LOL:

Even with the 'upgrades', what a difference in our cash flow this move had made, but I do miss the calls of the Eagles and the low hum of ship engines .. I am looking forward to traveling once we are settled in.

Oh, this will be our last move. Our heirs can deal with our stuff.
Congratulations, Brat. Sounds great. I don't look forward to the moving process, but there will be at least one more move for us, either here in Fla or some kid-close location.

The part after the move (where it starts to feel like a permanent home) -- now that's nice.

P.S. When you put a lock on that door to the pool, will you also put an alarm so that when someone forgets to lock it... ;)

Fair enough, husband left his fancy camera at his brother's home this weekend. I shall take a 'snap' with my more basic digital camera of our view of Mt. Adams and the Portland city scape and post it.

Our deck is about 10x30 - I estimate 75 feet above street level, a place for plants, BBQ and seating. It is no less dangerous than a pool... our son once attempted to rappel off a deck when he was 5 and his sister liked to climb in the Tetons. Their concern about their kids is based on their own behavior. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom