Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Personally as soon as I reach FI (annual expenses x 25), I will call it quits and take my chances.
For better or worse, I am retired. It has been so long since I worked that HR would laugh at me.

But for someone who can still keep a job, I think the above quote is more definite than it maybe should be.

For example, a lot of spending is either fun or makes your life easier and more secure. When I was trying to put together money, I was my own mechanic, my own carpenter, my own bricklayer. And I did get a feeling of accomplishment from doing these things. But I would be kidding myself to say that I enjoyed them; and I would really not want to go back to doing them.

I have a son who is flat out rich, and also makes a very high income. Let me just say that his life looks better to me than mine does.

Also, when I decided how much was enough I didn't figure on being single. Single life costs a man money, unless he has no more interest in women.

Threads like "Would you work another year for $1,000,000" make me want to scream. Of course I would, another $million would drop the average age of my dates 10 years.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Threads like "Would you work another year for $1,000,000" make me want to scream. Of course I would, another $million would drop the average age of my dates 10 years.

Ha
Would that mean you might go to a senior prom or spring break ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But for someone who can still keep a job, I think the above quote is more definite than it maybe should be.

I understand my position is a strong one. I don't think everyone should necessarily be so cut and dry about their decision to retire. But I have my own personal reasons for being so definite about it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...Also, when I decided how much was enough I didn't figure on being single. Single life costs a man money, unless he has no more interest in women...

Ha
Being married can cost you a bunch too. If I were single I would not have incurred some significant expenses over the past few years and who knows what in the future. Not really complaining but wanted to say that dating vs being married both carry some significant costs. Especially now with neither of us bringing home a paycheck.

If you think dating is expensive just imagine what healthcare and related costs add up to when one of you also has some major health issues. Even with insurance the costs roll up pretty high pretty fast.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Would that mean you might go to a senior prom or spring break ?
I wish .
Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing I wanted to add. Maybe my definition of FI is not quite the same as other people's, I don't know. As far as I am concerned, I will reach FI the day I can continue my current lifestyle without having to work for it. That currently includes more than $25,000 a year for things that make life either easier, more fun or more secure. Once we pay off the house it would go up to more than $35,000 a year. For me being FI does not mean having just enough to pay the bills, otherwise I'd be almost there already!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Being married can cost you a bunch too. If I were single I would not have incurred some significant expenses over the past few years and who knows what in the future.
I've never had a date that involved a multi-thousand $$ home-improvement project...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But for those of you who are FI and still working, any advice on how to keep your head in the game (at work)?
When I hit entry-level FI, I took a sabbatical that lasted a few months, not by preplanned intent, but because of burnout (I work as a contractor at a temporary help agency and some clients can be too unreasonable for my tastes). Then I found out that getting up late every day with nothing that has to get done that day got old in a hurry. So I went back to work, but on a selective basis -- I won't take a contract that I consider to be too stressful for me. I continue to work, but because I want to rather than because I have to. I also have control over the assignments I will accept, which mitigates some of the frustration of working in Corporate America. One of those restrictions is that I will only accept assignments where I can work mostly at home rather than going on site all the time. That further reduces some of the work-related tensions I have to face.
rogersteciak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course I would, another $million would drop the average age of my dates 10 years.

Ha
Yeah, I wish I could afford younger hookers, too...

God bless...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's one little mind trick I've started doing, which often helps me get through a boring workday, at least. When I look at the clock and see what time it is, I think about how many hours it is until I get off. Then I think back on what I was doing that many hours ago.

So for instance, right now it's 9:00 AM. I get off at 4:00 (although tonite I'm probably putting in some OT). Anyway, that's 7 hours away. Well, 7 hours ago, it was 2:00 AM and I was sound asleep.

Now if I look at the clock again at 10:00 AM, that's 6 hours to quitting time. But 6 hours ago, it was 4AM. Still sound asleep. At 11:00 AM, it's 5 hours to quitting time. 5 hours before, it was 6AM, and I was just starting to get up. So while 2 hours have passed in real time, when I look back, 4 hours have elapsed.

Now it may not work for everyone, and a lot of people may just think it's plain dumb, but I swear on a slow, boring day, it does make the time seem to go by faster.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked part time for a few month's after I reached FI. My former boss asked it I would stay around for a few months to help with the transision. I didn't hate my job and I was able to leave at 11:00 to go golfing so I said sure. I figure I only have so many summers in my life and I didn't want to spend them at work.

Ive been fully retired now for around 6 months and even with the downturn in the market, I am still happy that I did it. I would rather cut back my spending than go back to work. The free time is worth so much more.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post

Now it may not work for everyone, and a lot of people may just think it's plain dumb, but I swear on a slow, boring day, it does make the time seem to go by faster.
Yeah, I do that sort of thing. Years ago when I was working my way through school, I spent 8 (count 'em, eight months) working on an assembly line putting Q-Tips on a conveyer belt. I'm not kidding.

Every morning at 7:00 a.m. I picked a location. I knew the AMTRAK schedules well enough to follow them by heart. The wrapping machine sounded a lot like a train and I would figure where I would be after eight hours. Next day, where did I leave off, which train will I transfer to. Funny, that never ruined my love of trains.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

ha ha, you are hurting my feelings.
hoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #34

Midpack,
Do the math to make sure your budgets are in order based on expected expenses, safe withdrawal rates etc.

If you are expecting some sort of big-ish payout at work by sticking it out another x months etc then weigh all that and generally people in your situation find its worth gutting it out for the payoff.

But if there is nothing on the reward front beyond the same old paycheck, and you are asking the questions you're asking, my suspicion is your days there may be numbered. At some point you've got the FI part covered, you don't have any real reason to hang around, it isn't fun anymore... and one bad day or month or even one bad meeting followed by a nice walk outside gives you that sense of Freedom that makes you say, "I want to feel this way every day for the rest of my life" and you just go and never look back.

That's been my path anyway since 2001. I'm so used to that sense of Freedom now that I couldn't imagine living without it.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Well said! It is the "I want to feel this way every day for the rest of my life" feelings that matter more than making more money when FI is reached.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Years ago when I was working my way through school, I spent 8 (count 'em, eight months) working on an assembly line putting Q-Tips on a conveyer belt. I'm not kidding.
Yow. And I thought pumping gas and unloading trucks was boring....
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

In retrospect I gave too much background which led quite a few to question my "when." My question is really how do you stay engaged between FI and RE when you've chosen to delay RE? Sorry for the poorly written original post.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #38

Same way you stay at any job after the point when you're bored with it:
1) convince yourself you like it ("find the fun in it" is what I tell my kids about school stuff they complain about.)
2) Set up a little spreadsheet that tells you how much an hour or a day or a month of extra work is going to give you in terms of extra annual income for the rest of your ER life. (Salaried worker's form of watching the clock)
3) Pick fights with co-workers to keep your adrenaline up and your attention engaged (sorry, being facetious on this one)
4) Ignore the whole thing for awhile and just keep slogging away until another year is past.
5) Disengage mentally in stages by pursuing other stuff that is along the lines of what you'll be doing in ER, so that work is done with less and less of your real attention.
6) Take longer lunches, leave earlier, goof off more, take advantage of more of the discretionary travel, training, conferences etc. (Post here from the office)
7) Look for a sinecure -- a new job within the organization that is interesting but not too challenging.
8 ) Reinvigorate your career with a promotion and new challenges -- as long as you're there you might as well do it really well and gain the maximum amount of experience, income, excitement.
9) Try to figure out something really good for the organization that no one else has the time or talent to figure out -- a way of saying thanks, or ending on a high note and giving them something useful before you go.

But the way I personally did it was to just make myself go numb every day on the way to work -- 'suck it up', I told myself. I actually used to have these involuntary visions of injecting myself with some sort of 'numb syrum' to just go in there, do the job for another day, and go home. It sucked, and it was very bad for my health, but it got me through the last year or two prior to ER. I was kind of a physical basket case by the end, though! If you have a way to leave earlier than that, I'd say it's worth considering.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In retrospect I gave too much background which led quite a few to question my "when." My question is really how do you stay engaged between FI and RE when you've chosen to delay RE? Sorry for the poorly written original post.
I guess that is very similar to how I am feeling now, except that I am only entry level FI now, and want to be "solidly" FI...and there is already light at the end of the tunnel. So sometimes it is difficult to stay engaged. I try to remember that there are some 3000 people counting on me for their livelihood, who have supported the goals that I have set, and have helped me achieve them and thus the level of FI that I have, and who continue to support me through the tunnel. Yes, there are those who are not supportive. There are days that you want to toss in the towel, but in my case anyway, being able to summon up the "attitude of gratitude" as well as my desire to see this business unit continue to succeed even after my departure, are the things that help me stay engaged (even if my level of engagement is marginal at times). Hope this helps, I know it won't be of use to all on the board...
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

If you have a good relationship with your boss, talk to him/her. Maybe there is something they can do to liven things up for you or at least improve things.

A year or so ago our group had joined another group and picked up some of their work since theirs was increasing, and ours is tailing off. I hated it for a number of reasons, and it was really difficult to learn the new stuff while telecommuting. I strongly considered leaving. So I went to my boss.

He said he really didn't want to lose me. He asked if I was happy working on the old stuff, and offered to let me stay on that full time and not worry about the new stuff. If there were lull times when there was not so much to do there, don't worry about it. So I haven't. With the pressure off of learning something new, which really isn't important to me since I don't plan on hanging around too much longer, work got more enjoyable. It's not all roses, but it's pretty bearable.

You never know, maybe there is an assignment up your alley that your boss has to offer you to keep you interested.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote