Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am still working but am quite confident that the day I walk away I will never look back, and I'll only wish the best for the person who fills my job.

In my early working years in academia I was threatened by new hires at times, or by colleagues who published more that I did, got more awards, etc. Not something you care to admit at the time. But after reaching my highest possible promotion with (now) no competition for status or pay, I haven't felt any of that angst in years. It is a very good feeling. So I have no doubt that I will gracefully exit when it is time and wash my hands of my working life! I have really liked my work--the place has been good to me--but I'm not so deeply attached to it that I'd care who replaced me or how the institution fares after me. Work is work, that's all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
With less than 30 days from my early retirement at the age of 46, I should be excited for our upcoming adventure, traveling the world, but
Why do I feel like my replacement...the person I chose, is the other woman?
Curious how many felt this way before retirement?
Any advice on how to overcome it?
Your reaction is normal. Everyone has second thoughts. At least you're leaving the company in good condition with capable people in key positions--a rare thing to say.

Your best way to overcome your negative thoughts is to go ahead and hit the road traveling the world. Put some distance between yourself and the old workplace. Remember that Winters are best served closer to the equator.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I left a Megacorp that in my opinion had become a dead end for anyone with a lot of talent. This was mainly the result of merger after merger and the industry in general. I don't keep up with anyone at the old job, get no benefits or pension from them, but hope most of my coworkers left and found something better. I had a "rat leaving a sinking ship" thought for about 10 seconds once but over that too!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Though I pride myself that I know more than 99% about the interworkings of our company I never thought of myself as indespensible. In fact I've always thought of myself as easily replaceable. I hired people with the express intent of having them take my job. That in fact is happening while I perform as more of a mentor for whatever months I have left. I am not jealous. They are. Everyone I work with wants to retire.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Maybe the gender thing is throwing me?

MegaCorp made sure that none of us felt irreplaceable, and to be honest, that's good business.

I recall when one of my very bright, motivated young engineers was kidding around (at least I assume he was kidding) that if you are the only one with xyz knowledge, that would make you irreplaceable. I was quick to point out - if you are the only one with xyz knowledge, that makes you a liability, not an asset. My people need to share their knowledge, so if they want to go on vacation, or are not reachable, their co-worker can fill in. If that isn't the case, I'm going to be on the hook for not getting the job done, and I'm going to be firing and hiring people who share knowledge, so I'm never on the hook like that again.

-ERD50
As a rule, I make sure no employee is so valuable that his/her leaving would lead to a disaster for my org. This worked for me for decades in management position at Megacorps. This also allowed me to stand my ground against employees who "bully" management (happens once in a while in Silicon Valley, especially, in hot job market). My response to unreasonable requests from employee is "sorry, but I hope you stick around but if you must leave, I wish you luck."
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

G to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Your reaction is normal. Everyone has second thoughts. At least you're leaving the company in good condition with capable people in key positions--a rare thing to say.

Things have definitely changed since my OP....I guess as of today, the title should be "the other women"..... I've had a chance to tell people, specifically, the 4 women on my team who are getting promoted and I am SO PROUD of them! They are awesome and will truly make a difference!

In retrospect, my initial feelings were the result of my own insecurity - retirement is new to me and for a control freak like me, it was the uncertainty of how my decision would be communicated, how my team would react that bothered me. Now that I've talked about my plans, and specifically our upcoming travel to Australia, I am really excited! Like many of you here, I know the organization will go on without me....but as Banaman stated, the company will be in great hands with the "other women" in charge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk