Join Early Retirement Today
Re: The 'PERFECT' REtirement Spot
Old 01-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Indeed, some of the areas in northern california AWAY from the major metropolitan areas do fit the bill, excepting the public transportation piece. Most of the towns near Jarhead and I have some busses, but a car of some kind is at least useful and probably necessary in most US towns of 150,000 or less.

Towns like Chico and Davis sport nice universities, some good places to eat (with very good ones a short drive away), Sacramento Intergalactic airport is 45 minutes or less, no snow, no volkswagon sized bugs, and the cost of living is manageable. Far cheaper than any big cities, more expensive than middle-of-nowhere places. Bargains can be had.

With that, you're roughly two hours from San Francisco, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe. Four hours or less to anyplace in the SF bay area or Marin County. Five to Monterrey and Carmel.

Now if money were no object, and all things being considered, I might like to live in Key West or just outside of San Diego. But you need a fat wallet for those places!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #42

I have lived and/or traveled all over the country. I
always find it a bit amusing when someone says
"there are good places to eat". I've never been anywhere that was not near to outstanding dining
establishments. I'm not talking McDonalds here folks.
You just need to know where to look.

John Galt
Old 01-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #43

And another thing................New Mexico is outstanding.
Good weather, great scenery, etc. But, we wanted
BIG water and lots of it, preferably near the Gulf.

Re. cut-throat's comment about having to experience
all seasons in order to appreciate good weather,
I have experienced it all, believe me. If I never see
snow or a temperature under 55 again, that would be
fine with me.

John Galt
Old 02-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been looking for a spot to relocate.
I have read till I have a head that is pounding.
the choices that I keep coming to are deland fla. a couple of towns in louisiana, mt home arkansas[although the 8 inch anual snow is much less than in gaylord michigan it is more than I like. ] and a couple of towns in mississippi.
we lived in fla. for ten years in a town of arcadia.
and dont want to go back. a little to red neck.
It is very hard to make a decision based on reading.
so I think the best bet is to buy a travel trailer and spend next winter hitting the towns we like on paper and spending a month in each till we find the one we can call home.
We are looking for a place that has med. home values at 90 to 120k med. income at 30 to 35k and nice weather with palm trees.
near the beaches so we would be only 20 to 30 min. from the sand.
ed_teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

I would like to give a plug for Custer South Dakota.
Low humidity, average high temperature is above freezing year round and record high temp is 100. The Black Hills are as pretty as any place on earth yet not out sized so it is easy to get around. Rapid City offers all the shopping. It snows, but just a couple of inches and generally melts. No Bugs, blue skies, and not much wind. Winters are long but bounce into the 40's every couple of weeks. Spring is non-existent, summers are glorious, and falls are long and great.
Down sides are no jobs and big daily temp swings.
black_hills_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 PM   #46

Custer/Black Hills is very nice. Last time I was there
was in 1991. Cross country motorcycle trip. Wouldn't live there though. Winters too long for these old bones.

John Galt
Old 02-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Perfect' in more than one spot? My thinking here - up to half the 'camps' around here are closed up in winter(school year) and going strong all summer(schools out).

Winter/summer or other reasons - does anyone have two or more spots they use in ER on a regular basis.

I remember the 'Winter Texans' from our RV days. Many RV parks had what looked like half size mobile homes with cars(Iowa and Kansas plates).

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote