Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Sky at dawn:
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a nice view FIREd - a good clear view of Sutro Tower. When I can see Sutro Tower from Oakland, I know it's a clear day. I'm not sure that I'm completely keen on the horizon dividing the frame in half - would prefer to see the horizon line lower down or higher up, but that may just be me. Photography is such a subjective thing.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That's a nice view FIREd - a good clear view of Sutro Tower. When I can see Sutro Tower from Oakland, I know it's a clear day. I'm not sure that I'm completely keen on the horizon dividing the frame in half - would prefer to see the horizon line lower down or higher up, but that may just be me. Photography is such a subjective thing.
Looking through my picture library, it looks like I tend to divide the frame in half with the horizon when I take a picture of a landscape with no apparent focal point. I don't find it shocking personally, but thanks for making me aware of it.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #184

There is a rule of composition known as the rule of thirds. I don't know much about these things (and have an in-built resistance to following rules set for me by other people), but it does seem to help create pleasing compositions, at least to my eye.

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is a rule of composition known as the rule of thirds. I don't know much about these things (and have an in-built resistance to following rules set for me by other people), but it does seem to help create pleasing compositions, at least to my eye.

I am aware of that rule. My camera even has rule-of-third guidelines to help compose the picture but I just realized that I turned that feature off for whatever reason. I usually don't like cropping my pictures, but lowering the horizon does make for a more pleasing composition, I think:
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I usually don't like cropping my pictures, but lowering the horizon does make for a more pleasing composition, I think:
I agree.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #187

It does look like a rainbow sunrise.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was thinking of that when you made your comment. I also find it kind of funny - it seems like something as subjective as a pleasing visual should not have such rules, and I'm not such a big fan of rules like that. But I tend to find that those rules almost always work.

It is a nice photo, I think one thing that makes it a bit tough to split into thirds is that the sky is divided by half, and, IMO, cropping some of the foreground loses some of the interest there. But either way, a very nice photo.

-ERD50
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I'd share a couple of photos that always make me smile.

I took these on a camping trip to Big Sur a few years back. Totally amateur efforts, but I'm kind of proud of them, considering how hard it was not to laugh at the time.

(PS - squirrels apparently like Peet's French Roast)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wired_squirrel3.JPG (88.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg wired_squirrel1.JPG (74.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #190

Rosie - love those photos. I just hope the little feller didn't actually eat any Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Rosie - love those photos. I just hope the little feller didn't actually eat any Krispy Kreme doughnuts!
Oh heavens no!! We're not that generous.

Plus, feeding animals in parks is a big no no ... I prolly shouldn't have let the critter take a taste of my morning coffee, but he snuck up on me (honest ossifer!) and then it was just too funny a pic to pass up.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #192
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Oh heavens no!! We're not that generous.

Plus, feeding animals in parks is a big no no ... I prolly shouldn't have let the critter take a taste of my morning coffee, but he snuck up on me (honest ossifer!) and then it was just too funny a pic to pass up.
Pet peeve alert: Feeding the critters, whether ducks, gulls, squirrels, even bears, turns them into pests, and in the case of bears, dangerous ones!

Besides, that squirrel would have to wrestle me for a KK donut!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #193

Squirrels are the most fantastic little creatures - industrious and inquisitive. What's not to like? I know they can be destructive but as a member of the human race, I think we have them beat on that score!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

This is a new tea bowl that I bought from a Taiwanese potter. In this picture I wanted to show both the texture and the translucence of the bowl. Canon SX50HS, ISO80, f/8, 15s exposure.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #195

Playing with lighting can be interesting. This is just a plain, dull, dead leaf. Put a light behind it and the image becomes a bit more interesting. Although it looks like late afternoon sunlight it's actually a SB-900 flash with a half CTO gel on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fallen_leaf.jpg (237.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #196

Denali

Camera Roll-61 by jglennhart, on Flickr
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #197

Juneau

Camera Roll-706 by jglennhart, on Flickr
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #198

Glacier National Park

Saved Photos-32 by jglennhart, on Flickr
Old 10-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #199

Fired and Tom

I think the rule of thirds works more efficiently when using the intersection of horizontal and vertical lines - not just horizontal. The intersections are considered power points.

But there's a lot more compositional elements. The phot of the dawn sky has a lot of other potential, IMO, which isn't being used.

Color is just one element; the most used (because people never learn the others) and, IMO, least important.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #200

Erd

They are not really rules, but guidelines for beginners making compositions (no offense anyone). Once an artist has more complete understanding of composition, the guidelines become moot.