The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it.
As a suggestion, it might be helpful if those who post photos here include (if possible) the lens, f/stop and exposure time. Always useful.

Mt Princeton, Collegiate Peaks, CO (14,196'), after the storm.
Shot with a legacy glass 1969 Nikkor-O, 35mm f2.0, f/8, 1/125 s.

mt princeton.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot. Right place, right time. Lucky you.

Thanks RonBoyd,
The timing was fortuitous. We were driving home past buena vista after the last storm on a beautiful bluebird day, and noticed the winds really whipping the collegiate peaks. Managed to capture one of the more active periods of spindrift.

Dawn Patrol - Out for a morning desert hike
ISO100, 16mm, f14, 1/10sec, 5 exposure HDR, edited in Google(Nik) Color efex pro 4, tonal contrast
32208164485_84e8e0dc9a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot. (Red sky in morning, sailor take warning.)

Thanks. This morning's sunrise may have been better, but more yellow.(So the sailors are better off today)

I found an app mentioned on Flickr that predicts good sunrises/sunsets. I forgot to write it down, but I think its skyfire Skyfire

DW and I have been fortunate over the last several years to go on some great trips that are largely self-directed photo safaris. Many of these have been in North America (National Parks, etc.) but a few were in Europe, to Italy & Switzerland, France, and Norway. The international trips are usually for about 2 1/2 weeks and run $6000-8000 total including air travel. The domestic trips are less. We have loved them all.

I occasionally see in print or online some of the many offers of professionally guided photo workshops. While we have typically been quite satisfied to arrange trips on our own, there are some destinations that I think would be much more difficult to do well without experienced help. Two that come to mind are Iceland and Patagonia. I recently reviewed the offerings from IcelandPhotoTours.com and PatagoniaPhoto.com. They look fantastic, but the cost of just the workshop for one is in the range of what we pay for a whole trip for two. After paying for 2 workshops, plus travel and other expenses, the total could be $12,000 -$20,000. That would pay for 2 or 3 of our typical trips.

Has anyone taken a pricey workshop like this? Is is worth it? Does the community have some guidance on making such an expensive decision? Thanks.

Yeah I've been looking at some of those tours. They're not necessarily photo workshops, though some photographers offer those to locations like Iceland.

National Geographic also offers trip packages to exotic places and they're expensive too.

Haven't bit on any of them yet.

I've never gone on a photography specific tour in foreign county (I have in the US) but I have used local guides and tour companies when I'm required by law (Bhutan, Peru & Inca Trail) or it would be helpful due to language/logistical issues in a 3rd world country. Most of the time, you can talk with the tour company and they can help tailor your visit to be photographer friendly anyway. My guide I had in Bhutan actually worked with Art Wolfe in his Travels To Edge series.

The main benefit of the guided tours I see is (1) saving time on planning and logistics (2) the ability to make things right when something goes wrong. (3) access to restricted areas (4) knowledge of little known shooting spots (5) social interaction with other like minded photographers (6) safety in numbers, and (7) you can only go once and you want to be sure to get the shots of a lifetime.

#1 was important to me when I was working, not so much now. #2 is still important to me in 3rd world countries especially when I don't speak the language. #3 is necessary if the area is restricted but I don't think that's the case for your iceland/patagonia trips. #4 you can find out some stuff by researching online but local info from the guides can be very helpful. #5 YMMV. #6 is very important to me. If your vehicle breaks down in a remote area with harsh conditions you don't want to be alone with no backup. Also helpful in dealing with regular crime.

Photo tours help with points #3,4,5, & 7 over a normal guided tour (go directly to a local company, don't use a US agent). But as you noticed they cost at least double or triple a normal tour.

One photographer acquaintance of mine who runs workshops invited me to his scouting trip in India (which would have been at cost). Unfortunately, I couldn't attend for other reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. I've taken a lot of shots recently that just don't look good. But I saw this aquarium with its great lighting and figured that it might make a decent photo. Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.

Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.

Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.

Yes, it is definitely all about the light... artificial or natural. Well, being in the right place at the right time plays some small role. <chuckle>

The cliché: "photography" is Latin for "writing with light," or some such.

I've found dpreviews.com and like it a lot, but are there other websites I should take a look at for gear guides/reviews and forums? Considering buying a new camera in the $1000 or less range, but it has to be capable of great video too.

DP Reviews is pretty solid.

They have forums there too, very active.

Looks like mirrorless cameras are ahead at the moment for video, especially 4K video. But even a top mirrorless body can approach $2000.

DP Reviews is pretty solid.

They have forums there too, very active.

Looks like mirrorless cameras are ahead at the moment for video, especially 4K video. But even a top mirrorless body can approach $2000.
Thanks, I learn a lot at DPReviews.

I'm getting the impression?

• As long as I have decent quality video (1080p-60 for slow-mo & maybe 4K-30 for cropping), that's good enough. Content trumps quality beyond that for now - you can produce a very successful video nowadays with a smartphone and free editing software. The Lumix LX10 or a Sony RX100IV may be more than enough, but I'm still looking - no rush.
  • Nikon D90 was out of date much faster than I hoped. If anything, the technology is moving even faster now, anything I buy will be out of date very quickly.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the dedicated camcorder space, though I just heard Sony introduced some camcorders at CES with 4K and multiple-axis stabilization.

That might be a big deal. I have a D750 which should produce great video with the size of the sensor and the availability of lenses.

However, even in the short clips that I shoot, the lack of stabilization makes for difficult to watch video.

My iPhone produces pretty smooth, watchable videos because of stabilization. It works not just for videos but slow-motion and time-lapses.

There are stabilization rigs that you can get for DSLRs but they're too cumbersome to deal with, if you're shooting stills most of the time. So I haven't really considered getting them.

I'm only shooting short clips here and there, not looking to put together anything that involved. But for those who want to make short films, it's probably worth looking into.

I've found dpreviews.com and like it a lot, but are there other websites I should take a look at for gear guides/reviews and forums? Considering buying a new camera in the $1000 or less range, but it has to be capable of great video too.

I like Hogan's reviews at either sansmirror.com or dslrbodies.com (nikon). I find DPReviews ok but too generally too long and clinical.

CameraStoreTV has a youtube channel with good reviews. They usually devote half the review to video: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom