Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #2161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to scope that rifle but some collectors screamed at me. Apparently it has some value. I paid $45 for it about 10 or 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #2162
Moderator Emeritus

Seraphim - I like your firearm photos. Nice lighting.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #2163

Thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #2164
Moderator Emeritus

A shot from an Arizona balloon festival

Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #2165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A shot from an Arizona balloon festival
Wow! That is really impressive... technically. (The scene is arresting, also, but the photography is greater than outstanding... if there is such a word.)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #2166

Great shot, Ronstar. Care to tell us about camera settings, HDR, etc. ?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #2167

Nice timing to get the spectators lighted by the flame from the burners!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #2168
Give me a forum ...

I would, also, be interested in the dimensions of the image that generates such a large size after hitting the "full image" bar.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #2169
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. I really got lucky with the lighting on this one. The burners illuminated the people's faces very well.

Shot was F3.5, 24mm, 1/160, ISO 500 on a Nikon D610. I developed it in Lightroom and NIK Google Color Efex Pro plugin (can't remember what preset). Color Efex Pro copies the original raw file and creates a new image of the edited version in Lightroom as a tif.I published the Tif file directly from Lightroom to Flickr. The Color Efex Pro plugin didn't change the raw photo much - maybe darkened the sky a little. The image is not HDR.

The file shows up in Lightroom as 4991 x 3332. I used the share function in Flickr to generate html code for the image. I copied the code as the image filename in my ER.org post. The image in Flickr shows up as 2048x1367.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #2170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The image is not HDR..
I didn't think that it was... that was one of the things that impressed me. The huge size allowed much closer inspection than normal showing that there was very little alteration other than the usual color/contrast/exposure enhancements. Again, kudos.

Quote:
The file shows up in Lightroom as 4991 x 3332. I used the share function in Flickr to generate html code for the image. I copied the code as the image filename in my ER.org post. The image in Flickr shows up as 2048x1367.
Well that explains how you got past the 1600x1600 limit imposed by the "Attachments" feature. Interesting.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #2171
Give me a forum ...

Please Don’t Pay Full Price for these 11 Photography Items

Quote:
Yongnuo makes very inexpensive speedlights for about $70. They are built well, reliable, and cheap enough you can buy two. If you’re just starting today, I’d pick up a YN-560 IV but check out my flash recommendations page here.

The flashes that I like from Yongnuo are the all-manual flashes. They are very simple to use. If you take a picture and the flash is too bright, you simply turn the flash down. Too dim? Turn it up. It’s that simple. But they also make high speed sync and ttl flashes for about $150, which are comparable to the $650 Canon/Nikon flashes.
Quote:
Travel for Photography

Amount I saved: About $2,000 per trip
This is–by far–my favorite hack on this page. Last year, on one of our completely free photography workshops, we traveled to Iceland to photography the amazing landscapes. The cost of the trip from the United States? $699 which included flights, lodging, and some meals!!! It sounded too good to be true at first, but I’ve gone on several of these trips now and I can assure you that it is not a scam.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #2172
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link! Some great tips there.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #2173

I bookmarked the site and will probably end up spending some money. Thanks. I think.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #2174
Give me a forum ...

That looks more like cheap package tours than photo workshops, which can be ridiculously expensive -- for instance, the National Geographic Explorer ones go to many exotic places but cost around $10k for 2 weeks land costs, double occupancy.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #2175

I like the balloon shot as well. Nicely done.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #2176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Thanks seraphim!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #2177

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I had to sit there and look at it a while to figure out where the light was coming from. The flame inside the balloon doesn't look that bright through the fabric of the balloon but then I saw what appears to be an open vent facing the spectators. What led me to that was the shadows - on the lower left is a guy who appears to be taking a cell phone picture - his elbow casts a shadow on his shirt. Then came the "Aha!" moment.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #2178
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I had to sit there and look at it a while to figure out where the light was coming from. The flame inside the balloon doesn't look that bright through the fabric of the balloon but then I saw what appears to be an open vent facing the spectators. What led me to that was the shadows - on the lower left is a guy who appears to be taking a cell phone picture - his elbow casts a shadow on his shirt. Then came the "Aha!" moment.
Walt - After your post, I looked at the photo again. The balloon is unusual in that it has a front "skirt" that attaches to the bottom of the balloon.

The balloons took part in a "Desert Glow" where the balloons all hit the gas and illuminate at dusk while still tethered to the ground. The skirt hides the illumination of the flame toward the crowd during the Desert Glow and directs the illumination to the upper part of the balloon.

The photo was taken while the balloon was firing up and filling prior to the Desert Glow. People were allowed under the balloons until all balloons were ready for the glow. It was luck that the skirt helped to reflect the light back onto the faces of the people below.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #2179
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Walt - After your post, I looked at the photo again. The balloon is unusual in that it has a front "skirt" that attaches to the bottom of the balloon.

The balloons took part in a "Desert Glow" where the balloons all hit the gas and illuminate at dusk while still tethered to the ground. The skirt hides the illumination of the flame toward the crowd during the Desert Glow and directs the illumination to the upper part of the balloon.

The photo was taken while the balloon was firing up and filling prior to the Desert Glow. People were allowed under the balloons until all balloons were ready for the glow. It was luck that the skirt helped to reflect the light back onto the faces of the people below.
It's a scoop, not a skirt. Commonly used with tethered balloons in certain wind conditions. The people were standing facing the scoop because otherwise the scoop blocks their view of the flame. Seems to me skirts and scoops are both more efficient and safer if they reflect heat, which means they also reflect light. Only possible luck I'm seeing is the photographer being in the right place at the right time
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #2180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
It's a scoop, not a skirt. Commonly used with tethered balloons in certain wind conditions. The people were standing facing the scoop because otherwise the scoop blocks their view of the flame. Seems to me skirts and scoops are both more efficient and safer if they reflect heat, which means they also reflect light. Only possible luck I'm seeing is the photographer being in the right place at the right time
Thanks for the clarification!
Closed Thread