Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #2261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pansies with early morning dew...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg YellowPansies.jpeg (815.2 KB, 22 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 AM   #2262
Give me a forum ...

new macro shots

Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #2263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The harvest near Crosby North Dakota
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12004913_10152991429751574_7829888496928721888_n.jpg (71.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #2264
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Florida has amazing sunrises

Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #2265
Give me a forum ...

Khan, what a jewel to be in the right place at the right time. Terrific photo!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #2266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
new macro shots ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
The harvest near Crosby North Dakota
Awesome shots from each of you. I especially like the flower parts just sort of floating like they are in a depth-of-field-fog. Sort of super-realistic and impressionist at the same time (if that makes any sense, probably not).

Lots of interesting elements in that shot of the combine - the rows of wheat (I assume wheat? oats, barley?) in the foreground, the dust, sky, etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed them, well done! - ERD50
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Awesome shots from each of you. I especially like the flower parts just sort of floating like they are in a depth-of-field-fog. Sort of super-realistic and impressionist at the same time (if that makes any sense, probably not).

Lots of interesting elements in that shot of the combine - the rows of wheat (I assume wheat? oats, barley?) in the foreground, the dust, sky, etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed them, well done! - ERD50
Thank you for the kind words. It's actually soy beans being harvested.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #2268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Thank you for the kind words. It's actually soy beans being harvested.
Doh! That's obvious now. Color this Midwest farm-boy embarrassed!

-ERD50
Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #2269
Full time employment: Posting here.

My backyard faces onto an open space preserve run by the city and county of San Diego.

Beautiful vista, nature, hiking trails, and critters...all sorts from deer, hawks, snakes, spiders, rabbits, other birds, coyote.

But today was a first for my backyard - a bobcat. Yes, they live in the canyon, yes, I have seen one in the canyon, but not on my fence.

Was sitting in the kitchen overlooking the back yard and the birds just *bolted* - thought it was another hawk, but then I notice movement at my gate. Then a moment later a bobcat jumps up to the top of the fence.

It walked the fence line to the front, jumped down, and crossed the street to the neighbors driveway.

The crows put up a din and circled the bobcat, but it vanished in the neighbor's bushes.

I called Animal Control to report it, but they said that we border the Preserve and wild critters will roam where they will and unless it was acting 'aggressive' there was nothing they could/needed to do.

Since it has been so hot and dry, I'm thinking it was looking for water.

What critters have you seen lately around your house??
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #2270
Recycles dryer sheets

> What critters have you seen lately around your house??

Late last week, I was out watering and my wife comes bolting out the door, gesticulating wildly at the street. I looked around to see a big old black bear walking up the middle of the street, not at all concerned about us. He continued up the street, eventually ending up on the sidewalk, walking it as if he were out and about after dinner. I tried to take pictures, but it was too dark for my settings, and too dark for me to see to change them.

I had another camera foo earlier this month. I went downtown to shoot the loading of our city park railroad locomotive for transportation to the folks who will restore it to operations, shot about 100 exposures, all at ISO 25000. Noisy and washed out, to say the least...

Suitably exasperated, I spent today going over my camera settings to come up with a good set of defaults, and developing a checklist to reset things after a shoot. I can't bear to miss another opportunity...
Old 10-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #2271
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty pic of the combine. Nice looking crop of soy beans. He's about ready for an offload from the looks of the hopper.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 10-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #2272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
My backyard faces onto an open space preserve run by the city and county of San Diego.

Beautiful vista, nature, hiking trails, and critters...all sorts from deer, hawks, snakes, spiders, rabbits, other birds, coyote.

But today was a first for my backyard - a bobcat. Yes, they live in the canyon, yes, I have seen one in the canyon, but not on my fence.

Was sitting in the kitchen overlooking the back yard and the birds just *bolted* - thought it was another hawk, but then I notice movement at my gate. Then a moment later a bobcat jumps up to the top of the fence.

It walked the fence line to the front, jumped down, and crossed the street to the neighbors driveway.

The crows put up a din and circled the bobcat, but it vanished in the neighbor's bushes.

I called Animal Control to report it, but they said that we border the Preserve and wild critters will roam where they will and unless it was acting 'aggressive' there was nothing they could/needed to do.

Since it has been so hot and dry, I'm thinking it was looking for water.

What critters have you seen lately around your house??
I think it's pretty funny that you called Animal Control! Bobcat's are pretty good at catching mice and other rodents you might not want hanging around your house.

It's really a delight to see them. We have several that are in the next door state park. They are semi tame - they don't completely avoid humans, but might saunter by casually, although they won't tolerate being approached. We haven't had one come into the neighborhood. I think they don't leave the park because they stay where they have thick tree cover, and it is quite open country between us and the park.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #2273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think it's pretty funny that you called Animal Control! Bobcat's are pretty good at catching mice and other rodents you might not want hanging around your house.

It's really a delight to see them. We have several that are in the next door state park. They are semi tame - they don't completely avoid humans, but might saunter by casually, although they won't tolerate being approached. We haven't had one come into the neighborhood. I think they don't leave the park because they stay where they have thick tree cover, and it is quite open country between us and the park.
The call to Animal Control was more about concerns for pets and kids in backyards....as it did go..into...the neighbors backyard...during the day.

There are numerous accounts of the coyotes being aggressive and picking off pets - while being walked by their owners. So we kinda watch out for each other in our neighborhood.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #2274

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452367.492689.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452393.958542.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #2275

Been messing around with a 75 - 200 2.8 lens on an AW1 - effective 540mm length.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #2276

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452570.251394.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452599.820226.jpg

Old 10-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #2277
Give me a forum ...

Great shots, seraphim.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #2278

Some New England Fall pics taken yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1914.JPG (972.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1937.JPG (869.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1944.JPG (861.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #2279

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
Some New England Fall pics taken yesterday.

What beautiful colors.
Thanks for posting.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #2280

Don't know if we'll need this in an El Nino winter but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12143192_10153476912950141_7616601675453178799_n.jpg (59.9 KB, 13 views)