Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #2681
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownyboy View Post
Looking up while queuing to visit the Skygarden at the top of the 'Walkie Talkie' (20 Fenchurch Street) in London.

Love this photograph!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #2682
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I only recently heard of Breakthrough myself. I had an earlier B+W that had the lens cap issue. There was no front thread either. The current product description says that it has a front thread and will take a snap on lens cap.
I got my B+W KS polarizer.

Fits my Nikon 20 mm 1.8 fine and I can put the Nikon lens cap on.

In fact, when I bought the lens, B&H threw in Luminesque UV and CPL filters. Never heard of the name. It says Made in China, in contrast to Made in Germany for the B+W.

Actually the Luminesque CPL is thinner than the B+W and it also fit the lens cap.

I did use it already and the pictures look fine, maybe the skies in the photos I took with it aren't as deep blue as the photos I took with the Marumi CPL I had on my other lens.

My main concern was that with a wide lens the skies would turn out uneven but I don't see it.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #2683
Full time employment: Posting here.

B+W currently has 2 filter mounts: F-Pro and XS-Pro. Both have front threads. The discontinued Slim-Line mount did not have front threads.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/bw.htm#qu26
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #2684
Dryer sheet aficionado

I owned a portrait studio that I operated out of my home for several years. I closed it when I went back to work for my old government contractor. I sold off nearly everything except for my camera and lenses but still have some props left and a light stand on castors plus a bunch of frames. I haven't been able to find a website that caters to photographers where I might offer this material up for sale. I have pretty much worn out EBay. Does anyone here know of such a site?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #2685
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stratman, did you try fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom or Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums ?
Both have lots of pros especially fredmiranda but that one requires a low payment to post a for sale ad on the forum. I sold all of my studio equipment years ago on both of these forums.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #2686
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
I haven't been able to find a website that caters to photographers where I might offer this material up for sale. I have pretty much worn out EBay. Does anyone here know of such a site?
This is a pretty active forum: Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum. This Section (Members Buy/Sell/Trade -- Classifieds) might be most useful to you but any of the specialized areas will also have items listed to buy and/or sell.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #2687
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't posted here for a long time, since retirement I have gotten into photography and my finances on autopilot.

I bought a Nikon D750 and Olympus om-d e-m1. I used Light Room for editing and include Copyright information in the JPG metadata. If you do this and post an image you could expose your Identity (if that is any concerned) using a meta data viewer, or reverse image lookup if that same image in already on the web. JMT
Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #2688
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I got my B+W KS polarizer.

Fits my Nikon 20 mm 1.8 fine and I can put the Nikon lens cap on.

In fact, when I bought the lens, B&H threw in Luminesque UV and CPL filters. Never heard of the name. It says Made in China, in contrast to Made in Germany for the B+W.

Actually the Luminesque CPL is thinner than the B+W and it also fit the lens cap.

I did use it already and the pictures look fine, maybe the skies in the photos I took with it aren't as deep blue as the photos I took with the Marumi CPL I had on my other lens.

My main concern was that with a wide lens the skies would turn out uneven but I don't see it.
One thing noice abut the B+W compared to the Marumi is that it doesn't darken the skies (or the landscape, such as vegetation) as much, at least in the viewfinder or in the LCD of my D750. Haven't yet developed these photos.

Some of it may be due to 20 mm 1.8 vs 24-120 mm 4.0.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #2689
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
I used Light Room for editing and include Copyright information in the JPG metadata. If you do this and post an image you could expose your Identity (if that is any concerned) using a meta data viewer, or reverse image lookup if that same image in already on the web. JMT
Why even bother with Copyright? Are your images so good someone will steal them and make fortune off them?
The Photographers' Corner
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #2690
Recycles dryer sheets

The Photographers' Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Why even bother with Copyright? Are your images so good someone will steal them and make fortune off them?

I never charged for my photo's except for weddings. I often post on FB groups where most photos are copyrighted and are of National Geographic quality. They are often shot by professionals, seeing this I started adding the copyright info myself.
A good day is when I have the most likes that week on large Face book group like NANPA (13,600 active members). http://www.nanpa.org

I have found some of my photo's, without my copyright, on other websites, used without my permission.

My photo's are on a national calendars for 2015/2016/2017 (got 1/2 million like votes on one) are now hanging in a university gallery. Some are in books, I have won many photo contests, starting from age 12.

All that bragging aside :-) I am still waiting to take one picture that I am 100% happy with. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying.

I considered myself an "above average amateur".

The reason for my post was to perhaps protect someone's identity where a bad guy could find your identity via a photo. There are many people here who post photos AND have given a lot of financial details who do not want their identity known (myself included).

FWIW - My advise is be aware and be careful with posting photos if; it's already on the web and traceable to your name / web address/ etc, or you are discoverable from your photo meta data.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #2691

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
I never charged for my photo's except for weddings. I often post on FB groups where most photos are copyrighted and are of National Geographic quality. They are often shot by professionals, seeing this I started adding the copyright info myself.
A good day is when I have the most likes that week on large Face book group like NANPA (13,600 active members). NANPA | North American Nature Photography Association – Connecting the Nature Photography Community

I have found some of my photo's, without my copyright, on other websites, used without my permission.

My photo's are on a national calendars for 2015/2016/2017 (got 1/2 million like votes on one) are now hanging in a university gallery. Some are in books, I have won many photo contests, starting from age 12.

All that bragging aside :-) I am still waiting to take one picture that I am 100% happy with. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying.

I considered myself an "above average amateur".

The reason for my post was to perhaps protect someone's identity where a bad guy could find your identity via a photo. There are many people here who post photos AND have given a lot of financial details who do not want their identity known (myself included).

FWIW - My advise is be aware and be careful with posting photos if; it's already on the web and traceable to your name / web address/ etc, or you are discoverable from your photo meta data.
Further the copyright allows the author to prevent anyone else from making money of the photo with the authors permission. (or indeed to use the photo at all in a public way)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #2692

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
It's unlikely they'll make much money at all with them. But it does show that they are lazy people of low ethical standards.

I've mentioned this book before - The Copyright Zone. If, and only if, you register your photos with the U.S. Copyright office (for U.S. residents only of course) you have a lot of options, some of which can bring you a large financial windfall.

If you're not interested in reading the book, here's a youtube video done by the authors with the material somewhat condensed. It is long at 1:15 but if you post photos anywhere you should be aware of this material.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #2693
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's unlikely they'll make much money at all with them. But it does show that they are lazy people of low ethical standards.

I've mentioned this book before - The Copyright Zone. If, and only if, you register your photos with the U.S. Copyright office (for U.S. residents only of course) you have a lot of options, some of which can bring you a large financial windfall.

If you're not interested in reading the book, here's a youtube video done by the authors with the material somewhat condensed. It is long at 1:15 but if you post photos anywhere you should be aware of this material.

A good case to focus on landscapes and nature photography. ;-)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #2694
Moderator Emeritus

Some waterfall shots at Starved Rock State Park, Illinois

Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #2695

Nice shots, Ronstar. I was there recently also, but the water flow was less. I'll post some after processing.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #2696
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Those are really nice shots Ronstar.

When I show folks my Starved Rock photos, I'll show them these as "what it should look like"
Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #2697
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Nice shots, Ronstar. I was there recently also, but the water flow was less. I'll post some after processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Those are really nice shots Ronstar.

When I show folks my Starved Rock photos, I'll show them these as "what it should look like"
Thanks - The Starved Rock area has received 4-5" of rain in the last few days. That coupled with saturated grounds has produced a crazy amount of water in the waterfalls. It was nice to see.

ETA - The roar of the falls was incredible. I made a little video in my dslr. First time I tried a video in the dslr - wanted to see how well it maintain focus across the depth of field. Not to bad. It seemed like it did it all itself

https://youtu.be/VZbYoOf-dew
Old 05-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Some waterfall shots at Starved Rock State Park, Illinois
Ron, the third shot is Illinois Canyon and the second is LaSalle. What is the first one?
Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #2699
Moderator Emeritus

Wildcat canyon is the first, then LaSalle, then St. Louis canyon. St. Louis canyon is the farthest west, very close to Route 178. You can hike there west from the visitors center on bluff trail, or park at the rte 178 frontage road parking area and hike in- about a half mile.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #2700
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nice video of the falls.
After that video plays, it automatically played your spring 2017 trip where you nearly got a ticket, What did you record that driving video with ?
Closed Thread