The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to consider framing 4K TVs and displaying your photos using the media players built into the TVs from a USB stick. With prices dropping below $200 for 4K TVs, plus the cost of a frame, it's a better option than buying a Samsung "The Frame" or printing photos.

I've been very happy with the Canon Pixma Pro-100 that I bought several years ago. At the time it had a $300 rebate on a (then) $400 printer, which I'm sure they've made up on the cartridges I've bought since then. But like the Epson 3880, it will print gallery quality prints. Two limitations are that the maximum size of prints are 13" x 19", and it is slow. It'll take maybe 5 minutes for a 13" x 19". For home use the slowness is not an issue (for me anyway) but sometimes I've wished I could print larger prints. But the costs of a printer capable of larger sizes go way above what I'm willing to pay for a printer that would see only occasional use.

I do love the prints though!

You may want to consider framing 4K TVs and displaying your photos using the media players built into the TVs from a USB stick. With prices dropping below $200 for 4K TVs, plus the cost of a frame, it's a better option than buying a Samsung "The Frame" or printing photos.

Very true that. However, a hundred years from now no one will see them (arguably). Paper (and many copies) is forever.

Very true that. However, a hundred years from now no one will see them (arguably). Paper (and many copies) is forever.

I have a B&W class photo from my mother's 2nd grade class from 1920, complete with potbelly coal stove in the rear of the classroom. It's doubtful that many digital-only photos will last through the next century.

Canon claims that prints made on their printer with their inks, on their paper, and properly stored and displayed will last that long and longer. There is a guy who studies those longevity claims, I forget his name at the moment, who's research so far bears out the claim. It's one of the reasons I spring for the Canon inks, as I do know that a lot of effort goes into formulating the inks and papers so they play nice together.

Several years ago one of the photo magazines (no longer in print) did a two-year test of ink/paper combinations. Not surprisingly the differences between the cheap OfficeMax type photo paper and the name brand stuff was pretty stark, especially under horrible storage conditions like exposed to all day daylight every day. The cheap stuff began to fade in mere weeks.

I have a B&W class photo from my mother's 2nd grade class from 1920, complete with potbelly coal stove in the rear of the classroom. It's doubtful that many digital-only photos will last through the next century.

Those black and white photos have a very long life that historians must love. Thankfully they didn't turn to color in the 1930's.

Attachments

• Calvin black and white world.gif
    Calvin black and white world.gif
    78.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I have used an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 (discontinued) since 2013 ($850). I go through about $600 worth of paper a year (Red River Paper) -- plus the Ink is not cheap either.

The cost may be a wash but the control is worth the effort.

I've been very happy with the Canon Pixma Pro-100 that I bought several years ago. At the time it had a $300 rebate on a (then) $400 printer, which I'm sure they've made up on the cartridges I've bought since then. But like the Epson 3880, it will print gallery quality prints. Two limitations are that the maximum size of prints are 13" x 19", and it is slow. It'll take maybe 5 minutes for a 13" x 19". For home use the slowness is not an issue (for me anyway) but sometimes I've wished I could print larger prints. But the costs of a printer capable of larger sizes go way above what I'm willing to pay for a printer that would see only occasional use.

I do love the prints though!

Thanks for the comments! I briefly looked at the canon Pixma Pro-100. Amazon has it for sale, but B&H says it is discontinued and that there is a Pixma Pro-200.

I need to dig into this a little deeper. I kinda like the 4K tv idea too.

Anyone have any recommendations for a personal home photo printer?

I use the Canon Pixma Pro10 (not 100).
It's a pigment-based printer, unlike the 100, which is dye-based, I believe. Like one of the forum members above, I got it at a deep discount with a rebate. 99$ as I recall and it came with two boxes of 11x14 paper.
I LOVE this printer. I can do a flurry of printing, let it sit for a month, and then come back to it and it takes up where I left off and prints like a charm!
This is UNLIKE my retired Epson R2400, which made absolutely stunning prints when I wasn't trying to unclog the cartridges. Talk about a PITA! The $$ I spent on that machine...ah, well.
Also I do use third-party inks (Precision Colors) in the Canon Pro10, with fantastic results. I have two sets of cartridges. When one cartridge of the set currently in the printer goes empty, I simply insert the other topped-off "standby" set that I keep at the ready; all 8 (9?) cartridges. This saves a ton of ink, since, as you know, whenever you replace a cartridge, the printer goes through a purge cycle. So, far less purge cycles equals lots of ink saved and $$ saved.
Did I mention I love this printer?! LOL.
I also use Qimage to do all my printing. Excellent software.
Also, this guy knows a ton about printers and printing (but sometimes touts his expertise a bit TOO much): https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Last edited:
I have the opposite question for printing.

What kind of printing services do you use for things like books, large prints?

Thanks for the comments! I briefly looked at the canon Pixma Pro-100. Amazon has it for sale, but B&H says it is discontinued and that there is a Pixma Pro-200.

I need to dig into this a little deeper. I kinda like the 4K tv idea too.

You might even want to consider 8k TVs also as the price of those are dropping. Once 8K OLED TVs become mainstream, It will will be a game changer for photographers. People will be able to display their picture at almost full resolution.

Did you have to color calibrate before sending them the JPGs or do they take RAW files?

Did you have to color calibrate before sending them the JPGs or do they take RAW files?

I edit the photos in Lightroom, export to jpg’s, and upload to Bay Photo’s site. Bay has an option for color correction.

Color has been great on photos that I get. But brightness is hit and miss. I use a colormunki device and app to calibrate my monitor, but that doesn’t help with brightness. I talked with a Bay tech and he noted that brightness can be a problem. He recommended that I get evaluation prints (free) made first. Bay will send 5 - 8x10’s for each order.

It’s not only Bay. I’ve had brightness issues with other companies also. So I’m going to print my own from now on.

I ordered a Canon PIXMA pro 200. Should be here Weds. I'll test it on this somewhat abstract shot of a Yellowstone hot spring.

I'm also getting some 13"x19" photo paper and adhesive backed gator board. Going to print photos with 1" white border.

Attachments

• yellowstone hot spring.jpg
    yellowstone hot spring.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Anyone have their own photo printers? I'd like to print 11x14 B&W and color prints, calendars, and some maps.

Ordering prints is becoming a pita.

Anyone have any recommendations for a personal home photo printer?

We have a Canon Pixma Pro. works great with GOOD photo paper.

I have the opposite question for printing.

What kind of printing services do you use for things like books, large prints?

I've done several family-oriented photo books with Blurb, mostly because they're easy to set up and upload with Lightroom. They turned out fine, but I wasn't being all that particular because they were more for family things. Most in the family wouldn't know good color from bad if it bit 'em.

I do all my own prints on the Canon Pixma Pro-100 and have never sent out for prints.

BTW, I also use a Colormunki for display and printer calibration.

I recommended a Sony A6000 mirrorless to my BIL. He likes it.

I went with a Sony a6100 kit with one lens. DD will be trying some stop-go animation (they have to spend all of their time in their dorm) as well as pics. Dont think she intends too much post to social media.

Seemed like a decent deal.

Thanks for the pointers [emoji106]

I went with a Sony a6100 kit with one lens. DD will be trying some stop-go animation (they have to spend all of their time in their dorm) as well as pics. Dont think she intends too much post to social media.

Seemed like a decent deal.

Thanks for the pointers [emoji106]

You're welcome. Glad you found a kit to get your DD going. That Sony should give her some great photos. And some fun along the way.

Experimented with my Camranger wireless camera control. Set up the camera on a tripod outside and controlled the camera from inside.

Attachments

• house finch 12162020.jpg
    house finch 12162020.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 36
  • cardinal 2 12162020.jpg
    cardinal 2 12162020.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 33
  • bluejay 12162020.jpg
    bluejay 12162020.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 37
  • cardinal 12162020.jpg
    cardinal 12162020.jpg