Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #2801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Grandbaby
Wow, that's worthy of hanging on the wall! I'm sure the parents will want prints.

DrRoy, I noticed a huge difference when I bought a Dell IPS 24" display several years ago. Not only did it make a big difference in photo processing, but even web browsing and simply writing was a lot easier on the eyes because of the sharper clarity. And color calibrating helps too, when we order stuff online we don't see a color difference between what we saw on the screen and what actually arrives.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #2802
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DrRoy, I noticed a huge difference when I bought a Dell IPS 24" display several years ago. Not only did it make a big difference in photo processing, but even web browsing and simply writing was a lot easier on the eyes because of the sharper clarity. And color calibrating helps too, when we order stuff online we don't see a color difference between what we saw on the screen and what actually arrives.
Definitely, what you see when you are processing is most important. I have two EIZO monitors (Premium Computer Displays and LCD Monitors | EIZO USA) and a Spyder 5 for calibration (Datacolor Spyder5 Family). What I see on the monitor is exactly what I see in the print with an Epson SP Pro 3880 (https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/...r/p/CA61201-VM) -- discontinued and replaced by the P800 (https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/...ter/p/SCP800SE).

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #2803
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadySetGo View Post
Those photos are spectacular! You have quite the eye. What type of camera do you use? I recently got into the Sony mirrorless. Do you store your photos on the new computer? Thanks for the update!
I mostly shoot with a Canon 6D/Canon 16-35 F4. I also have a Nikon D7200/Nikon 18-200. I back up photos to a Seagate 4T HDD.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #2804
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Love looking at everyone else's photos but rarely have something to share. I was out last night experimenting with the astrophotography rig. After processing today, looks like it's worth sharing.
Very nice, I use a video camera in my telescope as well since the eyes don't work so well anymore. Nice job on Orion.
davemartin88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #2805

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Very nice, I use a video camera in my telescope as well since the eyes don't work so well anymore. Nice job on Orion.
I've been using a video camera for "live" viewing and some captures. DW is so excited that SHE can actually see the things that I've been looking at for years. I think that video really has been a game changer for amateur astronomy - more so than CCD cameras/DSLR. However, the video approach just doesn't provide the same quality final product for deep sky photography as DSLR (at least not at my level of investment), but it sure is fun on nights that I just want to go on a tour of the sky. The video approach can also yield some exquisite planetary images when stacking several hundred images.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #2806

I just found this thread. Photography is a great hobby. These are some pictures I took in 1977. I was 18 then. I started photography and cinematography (super 8) at age 11. The camera was an Olympus OM-1 35mm SLR. The shooting and work flow was a lot different in those days. It was pretty primitive compared to what can be accomplished today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (370.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (522.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (497.3 KB, 30 views)
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #2807
Moderator Emeritus

Took this shot in Las Vegas a few days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0721.JPG (440.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #2808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Took this shot in Las Vegas a few days ago.
Nice.

Here are some I took last summer at about 6100 feet elevation in Switzerland. My wife and I hiked to the peak of Dent de Jaman near Montreux. The last 1200 feet was almost vertical. It was easier going up than coming down but it keeps us in shape. But the views from up there were mezmorizing.

Camera - Canon t2i DSLR - 28-135 lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swiss-1.jpg (543.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg swiss-2.jpg (591.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg swiss-3.jpg (324.2 KB, 35 views)
The Photographers' Corner
Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #2809
Moderator Emeritus

Playing around with radial blur in photoshop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0777.JPG (403.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #2810
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for ideas on what photo viewing/editing software you folks use. Trying to get a little more serious about the photography hobby with FIRE quickly approaching.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #2811

I use Lightroom and Photoshop, but I started with Photoshop Elements and many people find Elements is sufficient for their needs. There are a lot more books on Lightroom and Photoshop but the interface for all three is very similar so once you've learned Elements you won't have any trouble with the other two.

I like Scott Kelby's books and highly recommend him, although his books are not the cheapest. https://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Ele...40_&dpSrc=srch
Old 03-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #2812
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
Looking for ideas on what photo viewing/editing software you folks use. Trying to get a little more serious about the photography hobby with FIRE quickly approaching.
I am, almost exclusively, using Lightroom with my images... almost in that I sometimes add Photoshop to the workflow. Lightroom does so much to keep things organized... from Post Processing to Metadata, Folders, Searches, Keywords, Mapping, Slideshows, Printing, etc. No other program does all this. Well, not exactly true (On1 and a few others come close) but I am too old to learn new tricks it seems.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #2813
Moderator Emeritus

I use Lightroom and a very little bit of photoshop in a creative cloud subscription. Lightroom primarily for organizing photos with a little bit of editing. I need to get up to speed with photoshop. Also use the nik collection - mainly silver Efex pro for further editing. Also use snapseed and darkroom for editing iPhone photos.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #2814
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the feedback. I was hunting around on amazon and found lightroom 6 for sale @$149. Is this a decent version?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #2815

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was hunting around on amazon and found lightroom 6 for sale @$149. Is this a decent version?

Thanks.
I think (but am not sure) that is the latest version you can buy outright. Anything later requires the subscription model, which costs $9.99/month for Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.

Yes, it is a decent version. Later ones do have some more enhancements but they're more evolutionary than revolutionary.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #2816
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure I'm ready for the subscription model yet for my software. I did see the CC version listed.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #2817
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used PS Elements for years. Don’t want to pay monthly and have not seen arguments that push me to add Lightroom.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #2818

Photoshop CS5 (photo editing). Vegas 14 pro (Video Editing). Cakewalk Sonar X3 (audio), Sonic Fire Pro (soundtrack generation).
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #2819

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm ready for the subscription model yet for my software. I did see the CC version listed.
In that case I'd suggest starting with Elements and get Kelby's book on it. Or at least one of the other books. There is a learning curve that can be steep if you're just starting out. We also took a local community college 4-week class in Elements. That did help a lot. Some of it still seems somewhat magical to me.

Lightroom and Photoshop did have a 30-day free trial and probably still does, but that's not really enough time to learn the software. It will give you a good idea of what it's capable of though.

Another point: If you buy and register Elements, Adobe will send you discounts on the purchased versions of Photoshop and maybe Lightroom. Or at least they did, but the CC versions were not out at that time.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #2820
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FWIW, I have used Photoshop for about twenty years and Lightroom for maybe ten. I have been a "subscription" kind of guy for maybe five years. For me, one who upgraded each version, the subscription model has cost considerably less than before... and I always have the newest innovations.