Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #2821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used Photoshop years ago but have been using Lightroom5 for the last few years. That is until I received my new Olympus EM1 mark 2. LR5 doesn't support the raw files. And no way am I going to pay them or anyone else a subscription fee. I don't use it enough to justify that.
So I'm currently evaluation Piktorial and Luminar 2018. Luminar seems to be a pretty inclusive program but it doesn't allow you to edit multiple RAW images at once. You have to edit them one at a time. I've emailed them and they said they'll consider adding that feature.
Picktorial seems a bit quicker but doesn't have as many features. But does allow multiple processing of Raw's. You just have to copy your images from your camera card to a folder first. At least I haven't figured out to make it easier.
So for me Piktorial is way ahead of Luminar due to half the price and multiple Raw images.
There are others out there.
BTW I have a Mac so this may not apply to you Winders users.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #2822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are some other programs trying to come up with digital asset management or DAM features comparable to LR.

But many of them actually cost more upfront.

The way photography is going, people are just uploading their photos, mostly taken with cell phones, to the cloud, like Google Photos.

The people who save RAW files and accumulate huge libraries are a shrinking group.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #2823
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The people who save RAW files and accumulate huge libraries are a shrinking group.
Yeah, I am definitely an anachronism. Some days I feel it more than others.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #2824
Give me a forum ...

I got the Lightroom CC subscription on sale last year for like $96 so less than the $9.99 they charge a month plus tax.

My anniversary is coming up and I don't see any more deals, at least not lately.

You can buy a 1-year subscription for $120 from B&H and avoid sales tax on that, enter the code in your account and that should add 12 months to your subscription.

It sucks but now that I've built up some presets and a LR library, I have to renew my subscription.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #2825

On a recent trip to southwest Florida, at 6 Mile Slough Cypress Preserve in Ft. Meyers. A Great Blue Heron grooming, and an American Alligator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5324e.jpg (799.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5345e.jpg (807.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #2826

Venice Italy - June 2017 trip
Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18-55mm IS lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6549-venice.jpg (804.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6533-venice.jpg (693.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6627-venice.jpg (663.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #2827
Give me a forum ...

Gota and Freedom - Very Nice. Thanks for sharing.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Florence and Barcelona
Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #2828
Recycles dryer sheets

Florence and Barcelona

Here are some pics I took in my recent Europe trip. We went to Barcelona Sagrada Família and then visited Florence at Christmas. The sunlight through the stain glass windows at the cathedral was stunning. I shot in RAW and processed them in LR (hopefully not to much). The Italians know how to celebrate the holidays. So festive and energetic with a spirit that is sorely missed were I live.

I have a Sony RX10 first generation which is one of the best cameras I discovered for traveling. Fast 2.8 lens 24 to 200mm. The newest generation has whopping 24 to 600mm and I am trying to justify it’s $1700 price tag for the upgrade. It seems like it is calling me to Blow the Dough

Comments welcomed good and bad.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #2829

Some pictures from our April 2016 trip to Switzerland. We were cycling around the lake Geneva area. The pictures were taken with a Motorola cell phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160428_151100118-cycling.jpg (629.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160429_164522026-cycling.jpg (720.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160428_171607081-cycling.jpg (636.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #2830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbayboy View Post
Here are some pics I took in my recent Europe trip. We went to Barcelona Sagrada Família and then visited Florence at Christmas. The sunlight through the stain glass windows at the cathedral was stunning. I shot in RAW and processed them in LR (hopefully not to much). The Italians know how to celebrate the holidays. So festive and energetic with a spirit that is sorely missed were I live.

I have a Sony RX10 first generation which is one of the best cameras I discovered for traveling. Fast 2.8 lens 24 to 200mm. The newest generation has whopping 24 to 600mm and I am trying to justify it’s $1700 price tag for the upgrade. It seems like it is calling me to Blow the Dough

Comments welcomed good and bad.
Nice! Were the night shots hand held?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #2831
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes... I usually brace my body next to a vertical support i.e. building, post or doorway. With the Sony, the lens shoots at 2.8 and with image stabilization you can blur free photos if you are stable.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #2832
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I've used Photoshop years ago but have been using Lightroom5 for the last few years. That is until I received my new Olympus EM1 mark 2. LR5 doesn't support the raw files. And no way am I going to pay them or anyone else a subscription fee. I don't use it enough to justify that.
So I'm currently evaluation Piktorial and Luminar 2018. Luminar seems to be a pretty inclusive program but it doesn't allow you to edit multiple RAW images at once. You have to edit them one at a time. .

I have a EM1, shoot RAW and use LR 6 without problems. It's non subscription.
Have similar problem with PSE 9.0 It will not read Olympus RAW so I convert to DNG with LR. PSE can read it then. No loss of info
Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #2833
Give me a forum ...

I think on the non-subscription versions, Adobe will no longer support RAW processing for newer cameras.

That is, the software won't be updated to support newer cameras' RAW formats.

That and new features are rolled out only to the subscription version.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #2834

Quote:
I think on the non-subscription versions, Adobe will no longer support RAW processing for newer cameras.

That is, the software won't be updated to support newer cameras' RAW formats.

That and new features are rolled out only to the subscription version.
I have a Nikon D-750, RAW format is *. NEF and
Olympus OM-D E-M1, RAW format is *.ORF

I have non-subscription versions of Lightroom 6.14, & Photoshop Elements 9.02.

Lightroom read both RAW formats.

For PE I bring into LR and do a bulk convert to *.DNG which PE can read this RAW file. Takes less than 1 minute. Hate reoccurring expenses.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #2835

But for some reason LR5 will read the *.orf from my EM1 mark1 but not the EM1 mark 2. Anyway I don't want to upgrade to a subscription based product nor one that is not being updated. That's why I'm evaluating Piktorial and Luminar. If Luminar would process multiple images it would win.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #2836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
I have a Nikon D-750, RAW format is *. NEF and
Olympus OM-D E-M1, RAW format is *.ORF

I have non-subscription versions of Lightroom 6.14, & Photoshop Elements 9.02.

Lightroom read both RAW formats.

For PE I bring into LR and do a bulk convert to *.DNG which PE can read this RAW file. Takes less than 1 minute. Hate reoccurring expenses.

OK but let's say you got the D850 or any new camera which may be released this year.

Will you be able to process those RAW files?

When is the last time you got a Camera RAW update for your version of LR?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #2837
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't do hardly anything in the way of editing my photos, but when I need to do something I use a free software: Gimp , it's been around for two decades, gets updated, and I think it's worth trying out.
It runs on all the major OS's

https://www.gimp.org/
Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #2838

Quote:
OK but let's say you got the D850 or any new camera which may be released this year.

Will you be able to process those RAW files?
Don't know. Here is the press release of the last LR 6 update
6.14 now available – last perpetual update of Lightroom

Quote:

When is the last time you got a Camera RAW update for your version of LR?
12/19/17
Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
But for some reason LR5 will read the *.orf from my EM1 mark1 but not the EM1 mark 2. Anyway I don't want to upgrade to a subscription based product nor one that is not being updated. That's why I'm evaluating Piktorial and Luminar. If Luminar would process multiple images it would win.
I didn't realize EM1 and EM2 had a different file format.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #2840
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've used Photoshop years ago but have been using Lightroom5 for the last few years. That is until I received my new Olympus EM1 mark 2. LR5 doesn't support the raw files. And no way am I going to pay them or anyone else a subscription fee.
I have run into this issue twice. I use PS Elements. As new cameras come out, the editing programs are not kept up to date with the raw files for them. You have to get a new version that can handle it. Elements is pretty capable and not very expensive (<$70), so I just upgraded.