Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Great photo! Any video of mama bear chasing the photographer ?
LOL! Thanks - at one point I kind of lost track of mama bear and next thing I know she is about 20 feet away from me. I slowly backed away but she never paid much attention to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
A couple of black bear cubs in Cades Cove - Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Canon 5DMKII - Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X - f/5.6 - ISO6400 - No Flash
Nice photo....and really nice equipment
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a Canon G9 point and shoot which takes great pictures as the one I posted above & a Canon T2i/550D, that I just purchased used along with three lenses, 50mm, 18-55mm & 75-300mm, carry bag, two 8 gig SD cards, nice tripod, misc. filters for $500. Not a great deal but not a bad one either.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Squirrel sitting on top of the alien-looking flower spike belonging to the Chilean Rhubarb. Closing-up on the spike and the tiny red fruits. San Francisco Botanical Garden, Canon Powershot SX50HS.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am kinda looking at that new Canon 70D or the older 7D. wondering if it is overkill. When I quit work the first time in 2002 I had a D30 or 60 can't remember, sold it and all my lenses before we went Cruising the Caribbean, and purchased a Canon PowerShot. The salt water ruined it after 2 years but it did the job. I have since got another Canon A720 point and shoot that gets me by for/till now. So as per my previous post I am interested what would be a good choice for me now. Would only have half the amount of lenses this time though. Now I have been FIREd for the second time and been off for 9 months and not likely to go back, I am thinking I should take up the hobby again. Maybe even take classes this time.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

It's been a while... At one time I was into amateur photography, but have gotten away... This will be an interesting thread.
Prior to retirement, I had my own business in computerized signs. This involved some photography, as well as using software to adjust and improve the visuals. So now, I wonder what types of programs photographers use to enhance pictures. I used Corel 3 and then Corel 10, but frankly it was a bit over my head, as I recall trying to understand and deal with things like layers and vector graphics. In fact, before the advances in computerized programs, the only way to create vinyl/computer signage was to manually digitize forms, shapes, logos etc... an art in itself.

So, out of curiosity... do you (anyone) use Graphic editors? If so, which ones?In my dotage, have decided that Irfanview is more than enough for me to deal with, in the kind of pics that I take today.

My brother was involved with photography conversion from Rotogravure, which was acid etching... for glossy magazines, to digital (pixel) based computerized editing... back in the early to mid 1980's, long before JPEG was a standard. His project was funded by the Boston
Globe, and finally resulted in multimillion dollar savings in printing costs, as well as (sadly) putting professional etching artists out of business. It was fascinating to see a computer break down pixels for editing, long before I knew what a pixel was.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So, out of curiosity... do you (anyone) use Graphic editors? If so, which ones?In my dotage, have decided that Irfanview is more than enough for me to deal with, in the kind of pics that I take today.
Adobe Lightroom is enough for about 99% of my editing. Once in a while I need to do something more complicated or use a plugin so I also have Photoshop Elements.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #28

Hummers from two weeks ago outside of Estes Park, Co. Area is a mess now with all of the flooding.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

How did you get your guys to pose? Nice Pics.
My neighbors have left the campground for the season, so now I have about 8 of the little fellas depending on me befoire their trip to Texas or Chile...
The original guys are very territorial and do more fighting than eating/sipping.
From inside the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummer.jpg (47.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Hummingbird picture time!

Saw this guy taking a drink from a fountain this afternoon. I had the camera in autofocus and it had a hard time focusing on this fidgety little bird.

Canon SX50HS, f/6.5, 1/1600s, ISO320, 1200mm lens. Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

Saw this guy taking a drink from a fountain this afternoon. I had the camera in autofocus and it had a hard time focusing on this fidgety little bird.

Canon SX50HS, f/6.5, 1/1600s, ISO320, 1200mm lens. Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco.
Yet more humming birds.
Wife shot these as jpg's, so no exposure data. I did HDR on the one at the feeder.
Both were shot with a Nikon D7000, no flash, Nikon - Micro 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1071212151.jpg (590.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image-2959968134.jpg (776.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Great hummingbird shots! I can see that I'm going to need some new lenses
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I do not want to disrupt the thread but do not know if it is appropriate to discus preferred equipment, but that would be helpful for us wannabees.
Discussing gear is a whole another hobby in itself.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

Discussing gear is a whole another hobby in itself.
Here is a good forum that has a wide variety of photography information. I am sure there are others but I am always impressed with the people willing to help and the high caliber of the information:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Great photo! Any video of mama bear chasing the photographer ?
I was thinking the same thing - I'd want at least an 800mm.

Neat shot!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
It started when DW and I took a 4-week adult ed class in using Photoshop Elements and I was astonished at what it could do. Later on I bought Lightroom and that was another revelation and I use that for 90% of my images. But I enjoy the full version of Photoshop and the extra precision that allows. There is, ahem, a learning curve with PS though. Software with over 500 menu commands and an apparently infinite number of adjustments is going to have that. Buying a book for both is highly recommended.

But it's neat to be able to make composite images like this one, or the sunset one in which I bracketed exposures and used the lower quarter of one exposed for the landscape and dimmed that down so just a bit of the texture and color of the trees showed through instead of just being silhouetted. Or in family photos I'll retouch out blemishes and bruises - no one has yet noticed, or if they did they didn't say anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triple_me-1.jpg (122.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg low_light-1.jpg (61.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Another national park, another bear. This was taken last year in Grand Teton NP. Our first morning there after a rainy night we found grizzly mom #610 and her 3 cubs digging around right next to the road. It was such an amazing experience. We were the only people out there so early in the AM and sat in our SUV watching these bears for over an hour. We couldn't believe our luck on our first full day in our first national park visit.

Canon 5DMKII - Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X - f/7.1 - ISO3200 - No Flash

One more. The bears moved off a ways into the sagebrush so we were out of the car taking photos. Then mama bear starting coming back towards the road. This was about the time we decided we had better get back into the car.

Canon 5DMKII - Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X - f/7.1 - ISO1600 - No Flash
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

1200mm and it barely is big enough. Bird photography isn't for wimps is it?!?!?!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Get your farm fresh unpasteurized milk! Bring your own bottle or buy one from the machine. Ljubljana, Slovenia.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
1200mm and it barely is big enough. Bird photography isn't for wimps is it?!?!?!
It's already challenging enough to shoot with a 1200mm lens, but when the target is small and fast moving, well, all bets are off.
Closed Thread