Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pathetic opposite is true in film - slight overexposure creates a thicker negative which holds detail, increases saturation, and prevents shadows from losing detail. Digital works in the opposite direction: under exposure holds detail and increases saturation, while preventing loss of detail in highlights. The nice thing about digital is one can check the highlights for detail - then retake if necessary. Using film, and if relying on a single meter reading, I generally over exposed one stop with consistent results I like. Using the DSLRs meter, I start with a one stop under exposure, then check the results. A spot meter makes the correction unnecessary, as both highlight and shadow can be individually metered.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #442

Haven't been to this thread for a while, and I'm seeing some very nice photos posted.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #443

Another Arizona sunset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arizona sunset 5.jpg (758.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #444
gone traveling

I rarely take shots with black and white in mind. Sometimes during processing though a photo will ask to be treated this way.

Sophie in her element by KBColorado, on Flickr

fresh snow at the beaver ponds by KBColorado, on Flickr
Old 12-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #445

This thread begs for a "like" button.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #446
Recycles dryer sheets

Just discovered this thread. Have enjoyed working my way through the posts and admiring the photos. Late last year, I bought a Nikon D5100 for use in retirement travel, but have found myself using it for much more than travel. Here are a few samples:
First photo is of the 2013 Summer Solstice Super Moon taken just after midnight sunset from a balcony of the Celebrity Millennium while in the Queen Charlotte Sound off the coast of Alaska.

Second photo is of an abandoned spur of the White Pass & Yukon RR taken from a rail car as train descended from the summit in thick fog.

Third photo is a composite of a number of images taken by attaching the DSLR to my 8" Dob telescope (effectively adding a 1200mm telephoto lens to the camera). With that level of magnification, less than a quarter of the moon is in the frame. So I had to take a number of photos which I then stitched together using the free Image Composite Editor (ICE) from Microsoft Research [Highly recommended].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2531.jpg (273.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3632.jpg (406.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Waxing Gibbous Moon Stitch (24JAN2012) (1920x1723) (2).jpg (300.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Geek View Post
Third photo is a composite of a number of images taken by attaching the DSLR to my 8" Dob telescope (effectively adding a 1200mm telephoto lens to the camera).
How do you attach the camera to the telescope? I imagine there's some sort of bracket/mount to do that. While I know the mount to the camera has to be specific for that brand, is the other end for the telescope an industry standard or does that have to be made for the specific make or even model of telescope?

Admittedly I haven't done a lot of looking for mounts (I don't even have a telescope) but I've never seen one advertised either.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #448
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
How do you attach the camera to the telescope? I imagine there's some sort of bracket/mount to do that. While I know the mount to the camera has to be specific for that brand, is the other end for the telescope an industry standard or does that have to be made for the specific make or even model of telescope?

Admittedly I haven't done a lot of looking for mounts (I don't even have a telescope) but I've never seen one advertised either.
A universal T-adapter replaces the eyepiece on the telescope. This adapter is not specific to the brand of telescope. A T-mount, specific to the camera brand, mates the camera to the T-adapter. These parts are available from almost any telescope or photo retailer.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #449

Great shots Mr Paul & Southern Geek!

Here's a shot of Paige, our overnight house guest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paige1.jpg (498.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Here's a shot of our overnight house guest
Now that's one who would be welcome for more than a few days!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #451

Yep, she's welcome as long as she wants to stay
Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #452
gone traveling

That's a lovely shot, Ronstar.

Southern Geek, I love that first shot. There is an axiom floating around that one shouldn't put the horizon in the middle of a frame. This picture is a great lesson that these axioms should not be regarded as "rules," only "suggestions." That is a killer composition.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #453
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post

Southern Geek, I love that first shot. There is an axiom floating around that one shouldn't put the horizon in the middle of a frame. This picture is a great lesson that these axioms should not be regarded as "rules," only "suggestions." That is a killer composition.
Thanks. That photo is, by far, my favorite of all the ones of taken with the camera to date. I get a feeling of serenity whenever I view it.
I was trying for a composition that maximized the lunar reflection on the sea with both the moon and fishing boat in the frame. The location of the horizon was just a by product. I had a lot of anxious minutes waiting for my ship, the fishing boat, moon reflection, and the moon to line up to get the shot. I was afraid that the moon would get too far above the horizon before the fishing boat came into alignment. But, it worked out just perfect. I didn't do any retouching. I didn't think any was necessary.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #454
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post

+1
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #455
Moderator Emeritus

I can finally relax, now that the wedding I was asked to photograph is over. No equipment failure fortunately, but a lot of unexpected technical challenges. Nevertheless, the newlyweds and their parents thumbed through my pictures already and they were very pleased with the results. I have enough good pics to create a substantial wedding album, which I intend to give as a surprise gift to the happy couple.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #456
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on getting that behind you.

Relax? I should say so - isn't it way past your bedtime, or are you still on Pacific Standard?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #457
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Relax? I should say so - isn't it way past your bedtime, or are you still on Pacific Standard?

Yep, I'm still badly jetlagged. I go to bed pretty early but I keep waking up around 3:00am.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #458
Full time employment: Posting here.

Southern Geek, nice job on stitching together the composite shot of the moon!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Southern Geek, nice job on stitching together the composite shot of the moon!
The ICE software did all the work. All I had to do was drag and drop the images I wanted the software to composite. The image I posted is much reduced in resolution from the original composite image which is hundreds of megabytes in size.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #460
Recycles dryer sheets

Spider Spinning A Web

Found this spider spinning a web this morning. Learned that the auto-focus on my Nikon D5100 can't focus on spiderwebs and had to switch to manual focus. I'd not really used manual focus with this camera before. I discovered that the focus ring on the telephoto lens I was using is way too sensitive - very small adjustments resulted in big focus changes. Barely touching it would get image out of focus. I seemed to recall that my manual Minolta from years ago did not have this level of sensitivity for focus control - perhaps because that camera was designed to be focused by a human, not a computer controlled servo motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5578_01.jpg (523.2 KB, 20 views)