Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Mathjak
... Of course, by the time I figured all that out I had expensive studio lights, umbrellas, soft boxes, light stands, boom arms, soft focus filters... Lol.
I made 2 gaffes when buying studio lights. The first one was buying higher quality than I needed for my light-duty amateur purposes. I bought a Hensel Porty set-up (with all the pricey Hensel modifiers) when Alien Bees, or similar, would have sufficed. Secondly, I bought 2 lights and immediately started confusing myself by trying to use them both, instead of learning how to light with one light and a reflector.

If I were starting again, I'd buy a single Alien Bee (or similar) with a selection of modifiers, and something to use as a reflector, and leave it at that. Once I started leaving the 2nd light in the bag (which I never did teach myself to use), I had an awful lot of fun with just one light, a reflector, and a few modifiers. It was fun learning how controlling the quality and direction of the light could make such a huge difference to the resulting images.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #702
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

it is very rare you will ever find really good photographers cross dabbling. wildlife photographers are rarely shooting weddings or macro photographers are rarely shooting baby pictures.

we all tend to find an area we like , we gear up for it and we do it.

marilyn and i can tell you how to get great macro results because that is what we do. i couldn't tell you much about posing babies nor do i want to.

as they say "beware of the man who owns one gun, there is a good chance he knows how to use it"
Old 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #703
Moderator Emeritus

Since we are on the cusp of baseball season, I dragged out "The Ballhawk", a 1940's baseball glove that my dad gave me a long time ago

Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #704
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
see that is how a normal wife should react , ha ha ha.

mine would go i want one too....

we just have no adult supervision .

we are out shooting together every weekend if we aren't with the grandkids.
]
while we love our regular gear we do see the importance of having a high quality small light walk around camera as well.
Well, after doing some research on the Fuji X100S, DW has softened her stance. Since I am turning 40 next month, she even thinks it might make a nice gift from the entire family. But... she also said that she would be quite jealous if I had one.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #705
Give me a forum ...

i should have my wife call her ha ha ha
Old 03-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #706
gone traveling

Ronstar that is probably my favorite of the pics you've shared with us so far.
fun with electricity and salt water
Old 03-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #707
Give me a forum ...

fun with electricity and salt water

nothing beats the feeling of going out into the salt marshes of new jersey's meadowlands and photographing 1 million volt high tension wires.

my hair is still frizzed .

Old 03-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #708
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Ronstar that is probably my favorite of the pics you've shared with us so far.
Thanks Paul!
The Photographers' Corner
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #709

Mathjak

The only point of my comment was the 'specialized gear'. You don't need specialized gear - just basic camera equipment. I wasn't suggesting you have to 'do it all', but I disagree with your comment 'no one CAN do it all' in photography. Depends on how much time they're willing to devote to it. The mechanics don't change, nor do the elements of composition, whether one is doing macro, landscape, glamour, fashion or weddings. It's all about understanding how light affects a certain subject. You don't need all sorts of brackets, or special lenses, or whatever; just creativity. Only lens on my RB was a standard 90mm - used it for everything - not only weddings and portraits, but hung some landscapes in a gallery, did a bit of commercial stuff...

You may not WANT to shoot a wedding with your current equipment, but in the hands of a talented photographer, it could be done with acceptable results.

Whatever equipment you have is sufficient.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #710

"it is very rare you will ever find really good photographers cross dabbling. wildlife photographers are rarely shooting weddings or macro photographers are rarely shooting baby pictures."

I will disagree with you, from almost 40 years of experience, though I will debate your use of the word 'dabble'. Few dabblers are 'really good photographers'. My mentor was a master professional who shot all aspects of photography. I've met quite a few outstanding photographers who shot most genre of of photography. They may have specialized in a particular field, but could produce excellent works in any.

But Your mind seems set, and I doubt I'll change it. Lol
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #711

Ronstar

I also like the photograph of the mitt. Nice lighting.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #712

Walt

I'm a little rusty, but a release for publication doesn't really fall under copyright per se, if I remember correctly. If you're out in public, I'm allowed to photograph you, whether you like it or not. I own the copyright on the resultant image. I just can't publish your image without your consent, for any purpose. It's more of privacy issue and has nothing to do with causes or profit. If I did so, your complaint against me would be a civil case. The definition of publication is very broad - if I show that picture to a group of people around the water cooler at work, that can be considered - for the purpose of the lawsuit - publication. There are exceptions, if you are a public figure or committing an act designed to publicly draw attention to yourself - I believe it's assumed you are knowingly giving up your right to privacy - such as a political rally, a public speech, or some such.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #713

If I take a photo of the back of your head, and it's not readily identifiable as you, I don't need your permission to publish. Since the person in the image can't be identified as you, the publication of the image is not invading your right to privacy. (As I understand it... I haven't read up on this stuff since the 80s lol)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #714
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ronstar

I also like the photograph of the mitt. Nice lighting.
Thanks seraphim, I used my home made light box and shop lights. I tried to light the left side better, but couldn't get that area to receive light as well as the right side
Old 03-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #715
Give me a forum ...

what is nice about the nikon r1c1 flash sytem is you can make one side up to 8x brighter not at that flash output like conventional flashes but at that ratio at the subject.

they can be set up conventionally which is you can set 1 higher or lower by setting which is typically light output at the flash or you can set it by ratio at the subject.

don't forget setting one flash at -1 and the other at zero does not mean the light on the subject will actually be that ratio . but setting the ratio on the r1c1 to 2:1 does.

but you need to work fairly close to the subject with these flashes.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #716

Quote:
If you're out in public, I'm allowed to photograph you, whether you like it or not. I own the copyright on the resultant image. I just can't publish your image without your consent, for any purpose. It's more of privacy issue and has nothing to do with causes or profit. If I did so, your complaint against me would be a civil case.
There is broad ability to publish photographs without explicit consent (or model release) in the US. Generally it is fine to publish for "editorial" use:

Quote:
The use of a photograph is considered to be editorial when it is newsworthy. “Newsworthiness” is a First Amendment interest and is broadly construed. Courts traditionally have defined newswor*thiness in liberal and far-reaching terms, extending it to include all types of factual, educational and historical data, including en*tertainment, amusement, and other interesting phases of human activity in general including fine art — such as the photographs displayed at a gallery.

Documenting events by sharing photos of activities such as a neighborhood party generally are considered to be editorial uses of photographs. For example, the photo company doesn’t need your permission to sell prints of you while you are white-water rafting, riding the roller coaster, or at the prom.
from Do I Need a Model Release? | Black Star Rising

See also a more detailed discussion of when privacy rights may restrict use of photographs:

Rights of Privacy Concerns for Photographers | Photo Attorney

Other useful links:

What Photographers Need to Know About Model Releases

Model Release Primer
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #717

Sigh. Since retired I've started to get back to photography. I was pretty good with film, and frankly the ease of digital (and no cost for mistakes) made me lazy. SIL is an excellent photographer, and $ no object, shoots a Leica M9. He got the Leica x2 for DD; I liked that it was a)smaller than my D80 and b)wasn't all menu driven. I did the research and became convinced the Fuji was a better deal; especially with built in viewfinder. So I bought one about a year ago.

At first I liked it, the simple controls of speed and aperture in non auto. But for some reason I miss the zoom lens (primarily 18-200 VR) and ability to compose the photo as I shoot (I guess I need to do more post processing than I am used to). Anyway, after reading the rave review here of the Fuji I guess I'll get it out and try to master it again! Those are some terrific shots! I was thinking about upgrading the Nikon but guess I'll try to branch out after all. I will admit that I only get major interested in the subject(s) when grandchildren are around or wildlife. Discipline grasshopper.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #718

Thanks for the addition photoguy. I knew there were exceptions, but couldn't remember the circumstances.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #719

"Sigh. Since retired I've started to get back to photography. I was pretty good with film, and frankly the ease of digital (and no cost for mistakes) made me lazy. "

I know. Makes it too easy to take snapshots, rather than photos. Half the fun was figuring the exposure, double checking everything and getting it right in one exposure, because you knew if you got it wrong there was no second chance. And bracketing always seemed amateurish - almost like cheating. Now, who needs a light meter?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #720
Give me a forum ...

whats a light meter? ha ha ha

well today we have a histogram and once you learn to use it the exposure becomes easier to control.

my wife is my co-shooter and i have to laugh at times because she is the most un-technical serious photographer i know.

she has no clue as to what many of the buttons on her d7000 are actually doing.

all she knows is to get x i turn y.... to get w i turn z...

it is almost comical sometimes because she shoots full manual most of the time and nails exposure ranges using the histogram. she has total control of controlling depth of field and has a good eye for composition. don't tell her i said that as we compete against each other.

but ask her about the buttons or a techinal point and she will look at you like a deer in a headlight.
Closed Thread