Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Aren't we suppose to comment on the photos? I'm fairly new on this forum. When you say constructive do you mean critique a photo as far as angle, lighting, subject matter? I couldn't because what I see on my screen isn't necessarily what you see on yours.
This post may help The Photographers' Corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I would love to have a conversation on composition. But let's not use someone else's picture to point out how they have it wrong or could do better, especially when they have not requested feedback. Use your own pictures and tell us what you think makes for a well-composed photograph. Then we'll all be inspired to do better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #742

I would appreciate constructive criticism of my photos to help me improve, but I've only been dabbling in photography for 6 months so I'm in no position to criticize any photos. Our photo class of 10 people produced about 40 or so shots a night that the teacher showed to the whole class on an overhead screen. He (a professional photographer) did a great job in pointing out ways to improve the shots - mainly lighting and composition without offending anyone. But since my class ended, I don't know if I'm improving or not.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #743
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, MichaelB.
Ronstar, I took a photography class at our local college. I love all types of vehicles, flowers, architecture but to want to be able to recognize what I'm looking at. He was only interested in "art" shots and super close-up's. I never really learned how to work with my camera or to setup a photo. He wanted "ART" and I wanted pictures.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #744
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would appreciate constructive criticism of my photos to help me improve, but I've only been dabbling in photography for 6 months so I'm in no position to criticize any photos.
I started dabbling in photography 14 years ago and I would not presume to critique anyone else's work. Photography is an art, it's very personal IMO. The idea that there is a universal aesthetic is rubbish. What I like, others may not like at all. And that's OK. But that does not make it wrong.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #745
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's no harm in telling us what you think of a photo as long as it is done with good will and a genuine interest in the art.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #746

marilyn and i made our greatest strides from critiques coming from those far better than we are.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Aren't we suppose to comment on the photos? I'm fairly new on this forum. When you say constructive do you mean critique a photo as far as angle, lighting, subject matter? I couldn't because what I see on my screen isn't necessarily what you see on yours.
many folks think you are rude if you point out technical issues wrong with their work and they didn't ask for it.

my feeling is if you post in a photography forum you should expect it and welcome it.

i am always searching for new forums so i can steal thoughts and ideas and find photographers better than we are. thats why we joined a local club.

we are the little fish in a big bond there.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #748
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many folks think you are rude if you point out technical issues wrong with their work and they didn't ask for it.

my feeling is if you post in a photography forum you should expect it and welcome it.

i am always searching for new forums so i can steal thoughts and ideas and find photographers better than we are. thats why we joined a local club.

we are the little fish in a big bond there.
You are free to take this thread in whatever direction you like. I started it, but it belongs to y'all now.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

Hawaii rainbow.
click on the photo to see the rainbow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawaii Maui 2014-009-2.jpg (123.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #750
gone traveling

This thread is quite different than a photography only forum where criticism is exchanged freely. Perhaps anyone that is interested in constructive criticism can add a "critique welcome" tag to their posts. For those that want to learn, this is a great way to advance their skills.

Personally I'm always open to questions/criticisms/points to be made.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #751

A different perspective is generally a good thing but of course tact and diplomacy go a long way.

On a different FYI, Nikon is releasing a series of instructional videos on their Youtube channel at NikonUSA - YouTube. It is aimed at intermediate-level photographers, began in March and will run through July with releases every few weeks.

While I'm sure they hope to sell more Nikon gear I guess even Cannon shooters are allowed to watch.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we should have a thread for constructive comments on the shots.
If we are to do this, then I agree that a separate thread would be the best way to do it (or a "critique welcome" tag, like Mr Paul suggested). I think there are probably quite a few folk here (like me) who just want to post and share our pictures. Actually, I have been doing most of my photo posting over on the Animals We Share Our Lives With thread, as most of my picture-taking right now is of kitties. I do like to think that I could share photos on this thread too without being critiqued.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #753

" Aren't we suppose to comment on the photos? "

Tried that and was chastised... I misunderstood the OP as well, I guess. Now I just say 'nice photo'.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #754

The Photographers' Corner

Major Tom

There can be a discussion without a critique - as we started a discussion based on RoT on one photo. Somehow, your comment was fine, mine wasn't. Once burnt...

Just posting is fine.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #755

An excellent critique site is www.dpchallenge.com
Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
This thread is quite different than a photography only forum where criticism is exchanged freely.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #757

that is why i mentioned it, many folks really do not care about getting better , they just want to post here in fun to show what they have done or where they went. if you tell them their highlights are blown out they will think you are picking on them .

not everyone here is in to photography to the point they want critiques.

i love having it done so i can learn from it and i enjoy helping others to get better but in the real world not everyone wants to get better .

but i think critiques welcome attached to your thread would be a good idea so we know you want that.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #758

one of the reasons we decided to give up our 2nd home in the pocono mountains of pa and decide to stay in nyc is because of the endless amount of things to do here.

we can jump on a train and be in manhattan in 17 minutes in any weather. the ability to keep busy year round out weighs any cost savings in more rural cheaper areas.

we went to ripleys museum in times square for the first time. really cool stuff to see.

they had a torture room that was pretty wild.

some punshments were insane, like strapping you to a steam pipe or being put in a box with food just out of reach. you starved to death and eventually they buried you in the box.
-
nikon d800 , nikon 24-120mm,sb910 flash nikon d7000 ,nikon 18-300mm ,sb900 flash

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #759
Give me a forum ...

Maybe we should follow a simple rule. If no critique is wanted adjust post the photo. If a critique is desired put 'critique welcome' under the photo.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Maybe we should follow a simple rule. If no critique is wanted adjust post the photo. If a critique is desired put 'critique welcome' under the photo.
Sounds reasonable to me.

There are a few reasons someone might not want to be critiqued, only one of which is that they're not that interested in improving. Some photographers have reached a level of competency and awareness about their work such that they are able to self-critique. They ask themselves whether the image achieved for them what they set out to do. In this case, outside input would simply be noise. Others might already have a source of trusted critique in the form of a forum with members they already know and respect, or a photographer they know in real life.

Sometimes you just want to share. It's a visual way of telling others what you did today. How "good" your method of delivering the message is of secondary importance to the actual message. Think how you'd feel if you got home, told your honey what you did during the day, and she responded by criticizing your tone of voice and/or choice of words.

Hey - we're ER types here. We don't always have to be striving for our personal best do we? That sounds awfully like hard work to me