Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #761
Moderator Emeritus

I intended for this thread to be a source of inspiration. Instead it has become a source of disappointment for me personally. The critiques of what I foolishly thought were good pictures were unexpected and they hit me hard. Even though I never seem to gratefully accept critiques, I do learn from them. But now I second guess myself all the time and miss potentially great shots. It's just frustrating and I am losing confidence in my abilities as a photographer. I have purged my photo library, and I am thinking about shelving the camera.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I intended for this thread to be a source of inspiration. Instead it has become a source of disappointment for me personally. The critiques of what I foolishly thought were good pictures were unexpected and they hit me hard. Even though I never seem to gratefully accept critiques, I do learn from them. But now I second guess myself all the time and miss potentially great shots. It's just frustrating and I am losing confidence in my abilities as a photographer. I have purged my photo library, and I am thinking about shelving the camera.
April 1st was last Tuesday...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #763
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You're asking for a spanking, FIREd. And I'm wearing the gloves to do it.

Stay creative! That's life!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #764

Quote:
I have purged my photo library, and I am thinking about shelving the camera.
Please don't. If you enjoy taking photos then please continue doing it, for the pure pleasure of doing it. What others think is secondary.

Unfortunately, the world of online photo criticism is a wild and woolly one. Like everything else on the internet, it's important to consider the source. A good deal of ego is often mixed in too - from amateurs and pros alike.

Please keep taking photographs FIREd.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #765

I find the photographs posted fascinating and interesting. Have not critiqued any. Though there is the old saw: the price of hope is disappointment.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #766
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My best photographic work is when I shoot for myself.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #767
gone traveling

Dang it ... I've gone through many stages where I thought "hey I'm pretty good" and then got schooled in one area or another to the point where I felt the previous efforts were sub par It's a process ... or can be, if that's where you want to go with photo taking.

Keep plugging away, but only if you enjoy the process. Improving can be great fun if you allow it to be.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
This thread is quite different than a photography only forum where criticism is exchanged freely. Perhaps anyone that is interested in constructive criticism can add a "critique welcome" tag to their posts. For those that want to learn, this is a great way to advance their skills.

Personally I'm always open to questions/criticisms/points to be made.
Exactly, this is an "early retirement" forum with a subforum on photos not a photography forum. I feel if you want your photos critiqued go post on a Photography forum. As I said before, you can't always see the same thing on your screen that the photographer is seeing. Colors can be off, images distort. When I asked about posting comments, I meant things like "that's cool" or "where was that taken" I didn't mean critiquing anyone's photo.
I'm not a good photographer but I take pictures of things that interest me like cars or water spigots!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Sometimes you just want to share. It's a visual way of telling others what you did today. How "good" your method of delivering the message is of secondary importance to the actual message.
That's about where I am with it too. I have shelves of photography books and a bunch of bookmarked photography sites to improve (albeit slowly) my photography. It is interesting to see what others have done and how they did it.

But to me it's a hobby, not something that I'm the slightest bit competitive about.

That said there's almost always something that can be tweaked this way or that, or cropped a bit differently, to convey what the photographer wanted to convey. Someone else may be looking for or seeing another message. Sometimes that's all that causes the ruffled feathers.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #770
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is going to be one of my go-to hobbies when I pull the plug. I love looking at photos taken and reading any thoughts on how to make them better. I have not posted any as of yet, don't have the time to take "interesting" shots now.

However, when I get to that, I would love to hear thoughts on what is technically wrong. I just want to improve, if I don't agree, I will just blow it off..............

I am in IT so I am used to that.............
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #771

FIREd

Take photos for yourself, not others. It's why I stopped wedding and portraits, because I got tired of worrying about what others thought. Don't let others dictate your activities.

In the OP, you suggested we discuss techniques. In my mind, we were discussing the appropriate use of the rule of thirds, not critiquing your horizon photo. You effectively cut off discussion of composition, which is one of the techniques I thought you wished to discuss, and did so in a manner I found embarrassing.

Sorry you took the conversation the wrong way, but don't blame others if you choose to quit. You're only spiting yourself.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #772

The Photographers' Corner

I would have liked to have seen a discussion on composition, what it attempts to achieve and the tools used to achieve good composition, because I think understanding that is one of the two essentials required to achieve an excellent image. Unfortunately, all most photographers seem to be able to discuss is the rule of thirds. We can't effectively discuss composition though, and learn from it, without applying the discussion to our own images, and what we were trying to achieve when we took the photo.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #773

marilyn and i live and breath photography as we really enjoy it . i guess i am very competitive against her but she really isn't that competitive with me.

i guess it is more a friendly kind of mines better than yours thing we have going on at times. especially when it comes to macro.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #774

Quote:
If you look at some of the most expensive photos ever sold, they wouldn't survive internet critiques either:

Rhein II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Rhein II by Andreas Gursky - sold for $4.3M)

Untitled 96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Untitled #96 by Cindy Sherman - sold for $3.9M)

I have seen comments on photo sites where they describe these photos as "boring", "5/10", or "delete".

Photography is incredibly subjective and I think it's a mistake to think of photos as good or bad (despite our natural tendency to do so). I try to think of photos as either "matching" or "not matching" my tastes (or the tastes of the viewer).
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
If you look at some of the most expensive photos ever sold, they wouldn't survive internet critiques either:

Rhein II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Rhein II by Andreas Gursky - sold for $4.3M)

Untitled 96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Untitled #96 by Cindy Sherman - sold for $3.9M)
That shows what I know. Especially the Rhein II - horizon right through the middle, for pete's sake!

None of my photos sold for millions, or even pennies for that matter. So I must be missing something...

However, I like most of mine, family loves what I do with a camera, but I'm just not looking to run a business.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #776

When I was transitioning to digital photography, I had a couple of 3 and 4MP compact cameras. They were fairly rudimentary compared to modern compacts and more sophisticated cameras, but I had lots of fun walking around my neighborhood and taking pictures of almost everything I saw. Those same early compacts can be bought online for ~$20 now, the point being that if you don't have any money, you can still have fun with one of these. Money need not be a pre-requisite.

No great photographic skills here, but having the compact camera gave me a reason to slow down and look at things. I think I enjoyed looking at things more than I actually enjoyed taking the pictures.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #777

Quote:
I intended for this thread to be a source of inspiration. Instead it has become a source of disappointment for me personally. The critiques of what I foolishly thought were good pictures were unexpected and they hit me hard.<snip> I have purged my photo library, and I am thinking about shelving the camera.
I don't take photos. But, I think this is a great thread--one of my favorites. I just re-visited the first few pages--lots of colors/ interesting subjects--places and things I've never seen before--and didn't know existed. Just sharing of photos. I would hope that this thread does not go the critiquing route--and now it sounds as if the critiquing is being headed off.

I'm glad you started this thread, FIREd. If you thought your pictures were good, they were good. I mean, just how "good" do they have to be?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #778
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's a shame and an over-reaction imo. I looked back on this entire thread and it seems to me the overwhelming majority of feedback you (rightly) received was positive but you chose to concentrate on the relatively mild suggestions offered by others on a couple of your shots and saw them as overly negative.

I certainly hope you are not serious about shelving the camera because that would be a big mistake! Please rethink your position and remember for every person who looks at your photograph and responds positively there are probably a hundred who think the same but don't bother to post a comment. I know I'm guilty of that.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #779

i love bugs.

one thing about macro is just as much thought has to go into the backgrounds and what you show as for the subject.

while a painter decides what to put in the photo as photographers we have to decide what to take out of the photo.

anything not adding is taking away .

Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #780

I kinda like bugs too. Should have a lot to shoot here soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140313-DSC_0101.jpg (475.2 KB, 5 views)