Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use an x-rite (formerly gretag-macbeth) i1 display calibrator. Seems to work fine. It didn't make that much of a difference (my monitor was already pretty decent) although when I try it on non photo-grade LCDs (or old CRTs) it makes a huge difference.

My printer has a built in calibrator and profiler (hp z series) but I don't really take advantage of it. I'm almost always printing on the manufacturer satin paper and I don't experiment much with others.

Regarding white balance, I almost never use a gray card (or expo disc) as most times I'm not concerned with color fidelity. I usually shoot WB in auto or manual and adjust afterward.

I had an early version of a wacom tablet but never really groked the use of it. To avoid carpel tunnel / repetitive strain I just switch hands for mouse use (now I'm more comfortable as a leftie)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Lightning shots are always impressive. Unless one has a lightning trigger the timing is always hit or miss.
I don't have a lightning trigger. I took about 200 pictures over the course of one hour and got only that one good shot... So yes, the timing was mostly miss for me.

Quote:
Does anyone else use a monitor color calibration device?

I bought a Colormunki Photo a couple of years ago to calibrate the monitor (Dell U2410, ISP) and printer. The difference with in-plane switching on the monitor was immediately apparent the first time I turned it on and it got better after calibration. I was so impressed with this that I bought a Colormunki Smile for my younger sister to go with a new camera she'd bought. According to some reviewers there wasn't much different between results with that $99 device and the $1,500 pro device.

Printer calibration was also easy, although I found that increasing the brightness setting in Lightroom produced prints that more closely matched, to my eyes at least, what I see on the screen although I do brighten output a bit.

How about white balance settings on your camera? I use an Xpodisc to set a custom white balance - takes a few seconds - and have a Colorchecker that will set a custom color calibration for the camera and can also set camera white balance.

How about a graphics tablet? Anyone else use one of those? I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome without it.
I calibrate my monitor (iMac) using the internal display calibration tool. I don't print pictures anymore, so I don't have to calibrate my printer. I use the white balance presets on my camera and do any necessary adjustment afterwards. And while I do have a graphics tablet, I never use it as I only do very minimal image processing.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Took this today - Nikon D5200 w11-55 mm lens, at 29 mm, f8, 1/400 sec ISO 100, accidently with white balance at incandescent

Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Photography seems to be a popular retirement hobby. So here is a thread dedicated to you, shutterbugs. Show off your photos, discuss techniques, and share tips!
My pic today Nikon D7000 Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR (250mm hand held) ISO 400, F5.6, No Flash 1/100 shutter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Animal-Sept-21-2013-D.jpg (319.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Took this today - Nikon D5200 w11-55 mm lens, at 29 mm, f8, 1/400 sec ISO 100, accidently with white balance at incandescent
In spite of that (or perhaps because of it) the image comes out looking good.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In spite of that (or perhaps because of it) the image comes out looking good.
I agree. Did you correct the white balance during the processing?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
My pic today Nikon D7000 Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR (250mm hand held) ISO 400, F5.6, No Flash 1/100 shutter
I also have that lens and like it. It was on the camera (good thing!) when I saw a C-5 approaching the airport and grabbed these. And the sky really was that color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C_5_on_approach-1.jpg (43.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg C_5_on_approach-2.jpg (43.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg C_5_on_approach-3.jpg (56.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg C_5_on_approach-4.jpg (47.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg C_5_on_approach-5.jpg (78.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #68

Addendum: Because the above were "grab shots" they were shot aperture priority, aperture was F/14, shutter between 1/100 and 1/30, ISO 400. There really wasn't time to look at settings. Had I the sense at the time I certainly would have opened up the lens.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Lightning strike over the neighboring hill:
Perfect timing.
Still trying to get one of those shots. I wonder if the clouds comma effect is due to the shock wave or just an artifact?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree. Did you correct the white balance during the processing?
Sorry - yes the one I uploaded was one that I corrected the white balance in processing to daylight.

Here is what it looked like raw

Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wonder if the clouds comma effect is due to the shock wave or just an artifact?
Not sure actually. I had assumed that it was a rain band, even though it was not raining where I was at the time.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
I also have that lens and like it. It was on the camera (good thing!) when I saw a C-5 approaching the airport and grabbed these. And the sky really was that color.
Great shots!

After a lot of research and talking with my niece's husband (a photo geek having the same lens), i ordered the 70-300 last night. Cant wait till it gets here.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Great shots! After a lot of research and talking with my niece's husband (a photo geek having the same lens), i ordered the 70-300 last night. Cant wait till it gets here.
I really wanted the "Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II".
But the 70-300 is a great lens, and much less money and weight.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry - yes the one I uploaded was one that I corrected the white balance in processing to daylight.

Here is what it looked like raw

That's more in line with what I would have expected. Good job on the white balance correction, it totally saved that picture! I also like the composition. The leading lines created by the logs add a nice perspective.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That's more in line with what I would have expected. Good job on the white balance correction, it totally saved that picture! I also like the composition. The leading lines created by the logs add a nice perspective.
I have observed that after I take shots with my canon digital rebel xti, if I run them thru the Auto Smart fix in Photoshop elements they look better. Of course back in the bad old days of film, Etkachrome and Kodachrome were known for giving different color portrails, Etkachrome was bluer and Kodachrome was pinker. However having recently digitized some 60 year old slides the colors were still quite good. There were also some purchased slides that were on Eastman color film and they had all faded to shades of red.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Does anyone else use a monitor color calibration device?

I bought a Colormunki Photo a couple of years ago to calibrate the monitor (Dell U2410, ISP) and printer. The difference with in-plane switching on the monitor was immediately apparent the first time I turned it on and it got better after calibration. I was so impressed with this that I bought a Colormunki Smile for my younger sister to go with a new camera she'd bought. According to some reviewers there wasn't much different between results with that $99 device and the $1,500 pro device.

Printer calibration was also easy, although I found that increasing the brightness setting in Lightroom produced prints that more closely matched, to my eyes at least, what I see on the screen although I do brighten output a bit.

How about white balance settings on your camera? I use an Xpodisc to set a custom white balance - takes a few seconds - and have a Colorchecker that will set a custom color calibration for the camera and can also set camera white balance.

How about a graphics tablet? Anyone else use one of those? I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome without it.
I use the GretagMacbeth Eye-One Match 3 for monitor calibration. I have a Dell U2412 ISP as my main monitor and it makes a huge difference. For camera white balance I mostly just eyeball it in post processing for outdoor shots. I take product shots for my wife's online store and in that case color accuracy is very important so I use a WhiBal grey card. I'd be lost without my tablet - a Wacom Intuous. It's pretty big, I think the actual surface of the pad is something like 12" x 8". Great for a dual-monitor setup.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

The Bay Bridge framed by a sculpture named "Cupid's Span". I like the colors on that photograph.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree on the composition, nice photo.

So maybe one of you can explain something about white balance to me. I get the technical aspect of it, different weighting in the spectrum of the light source will emphasize certain colors. The WB setting basically inverts this.

But our brain apparently adjusts most of this out when we experience it in real life. So things look a little greener under most fluorescent, and a little more orange under incandescent light - but not to the extent that we see in a non-adjusted photo.

So why can't our brain adjust when we look at a photo? We know a log cabin is not blue. Or is there something else going on? This has always bugged me.

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Shot this little guy (or girl) walking up the driveway with its mom (mom was too quick to photo)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Bay Bridge framed by a sculpture named "Cupid's Span". I like the colors on that photograph.
I agree - great colors. Great photo. I like the framing
Closed Thread