The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's clever. I'm still learning a lot about post processing. How did you do that?

I used "layers" in a photoshop-style piece of software. I basically superimposed the 2 pictures (because I used the same lens for both pics, the 2 moons were identical in size which made the process very easy). Then I used the "color" blending mode.

Glad to hear somebody got some blood moon shots. We had overcast and rain so I didn't even get up. Maybe next time.

Southern Geek, FL must be teeming with photo ops, all that wildlife there.

Played around with the macro lens and tulips some more, and put a black background behind them

Attachments

• Tulips-8.jpg
    Tulips-8.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 8
  • Tulips-10.jpg
    Tulips-10.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 12
Walt - your tulips shots are getting better and better. The rich red of the tulips shows beautifully against the black background.

FIREd - I like how you combined those 2 shots to show a detailed red moon.

seraphim - the shot of the window is very pleasing. The contrast between the cold blue of the reflected light in the glass and the warm orange color of what I think is rust in the metal frame is pleasing. Combine that with the broken glass and the reflections, and there is quite a lot going on in that image.

I have spent the last year or so coveting the Fuji X100S, and it is a testament to my ability to control my desires that I don't have one yet. It would fulfill many of my shooting needs as for the majority of the time, I keep a 24mm lens on my old DSLR and would like something more compact, yet with good image quality.
[/URL]

we have been getting in to street photography more and more. living in nyc we have great opportunity.

it can be dangerous at times but i guess it goes with what we do.

so last year we are out shooting and marilyn and i go in opposite directions on a block.

she vanishes for quite a bit of time so i went to check on her.

she is taking pictures of some of the LATIN KINGS and didn't realize they were throwing gang signs for her.

i told her in retirement she could becoime staff photographer for them.

we are hoping to do a photoshoot in harlem in the next few weeks.

110313_M%26M%20PHOTO-40-X3.jpg

110313_M%26M%20PHOTO-10-Edit-X3.jpg

131109_M%26M%20PHOTO-137-X3.jpg

DSCF0679mc-X3.jpg

MCJ_6858_Enhancer-X3.jpg

A couple more street shots, just for fun.

Los Angeles 2004 -

original.jpg

Paris 2006 -

original.jpg

I really need to get back out on the streets with a camera. I think that if I spend enough time pounding the pavement and put some hard time in, I can develop a better sense of timing and composition. There is no shortcut and no easy way to do this though.

They look good Tom. I think I prefer B&W for street photography, unless there's something where color really plays an important part.

Ok I'm finally getting around to posting actual images in this thread.

I only had access to a 300mm lens on 35mm so my moon shots were very small (maybe 400 pixels across) -- I think you need somewhere around 1600mm equivalent to fill the frame. So I made a composite so that final image was more than a thumbnail.

Attachments

• moon-composite.jpg
    moon-composite.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 16
Itdontmeanathing, Love the brightly colored fishing boats.

Southern Geek, That gator is awesome!

photoguy, Like the composite shot of the moon. Is that something (the composite) you do in Photoshop or other program?

photoguy, Like the composite shot of the moon. Is that something (the composite) you do in Photoshop or other program?

Yes. I just loaded each separate image of the moon as a layer in photoshop and then cut and pasted it into a blank (and larger) image. Since the background is all black, I didn't have to worry about making sure the edges blended.

You all are motivating me. Got Linux updated and running, with RAW import, editing and light table software installed, as well as GIMP, which I'm getting used to easily enough. There's an HDR program out there for Linux, but we'll see. Nice thing about Linux, it's all free. Comprehensive, too. Need to play with everything more to establish which program I'm going to use for what function, in which order. Workflow.

Apologies if I'm posting too much but please allow me just a couple more for the time being. Hope I haven't posted this first one before -

Los Angeles Feb 2006 -
original.jpg

Los Angeles March 2006 -

original.jpg

I think I prefer B&W for street photography

Having no photographic skills myself, (I'm a 'snapshot' taker...at best), I love B&W shots, and feel that they give the pics a kind of 'grittiness' that is absent in color shots.

i tend only shoot street photography in b&w . eliminating colors makes the subjects and lines so much more important. the only time i will shoot color is when i have a subject that is the entire center of focus in some action move.

130621_M%26M%20PHOTO-52-Edit-X3.jpg

130621_M%26M%20PHOTO-40-Edit-X3.jpg

IMG_0810-X3.jpg

MCJ_8862-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen the work of street photographers who purposefully seek out color, and whose images work well that way. Every time I think that I prefer B&W, I find a photographer who takes great street images in color.

Mind you, I have to agree that there is something about a great "classic" street shot and B&W that goes together so well.

I am getting so close to pulling the trigger on a Fuji X100S. I've figured out that if I buy a used one in nice condition, together with the 50mm converter that is coming out soon, it will replace my old DSLR and 2 primes for the types of photos I take. So......if I sell my old body and lenses, it will fund the purchase of the newer camera. This makes my frugal self very happy, and keeps my photo self happy too :cool:

Although I having noting to contribute right now, I am really enjoying the recent activity here. Nice work everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom