Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #1061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
It can enhance photos in certain conditions,but it doesn't really do anything for most photos. Been playing with it, now that I have Linux up and running on a photo dedicated box, and I'm still not impressed. its doing nothing more than layering different exposures, which can be done in PS style editors. It merely automates the process, which is nice, but appears to be limiting creative choices
I think the big advantage is when the layers work would be very complicated, usually when the scene doesn't have a simple dividing line between bright and dark. For example, see this swamp picture by Marc Muench: Part Two of Marc's HDR Workflow — Muench Workshops

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Most people won't carry a tripod to shoot bracketed photos or spend the time and money to post-process HDR.
Shooting a series of handheld brackets can work quite well for HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Playing with HDR, I am learning that a light hand is usually better for the kind of results that I am looking for. One vexing drawback is the frequent presence of artifacts in HDR composites (ghosting, halos, etc...). Some can easily be fixed, others not so much.
I can't stand seeing halos in HDR work. Or the grunge look.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #1062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i shoot quite a bit of hdr. the problem with handholding is while the software can merge the slight alignment issues that result the edges are always rolled into each other and never near as sharp as when you can eliminate the alignment stage by using a tripod.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #1063

I generally prefer to do HDR brackets from a tripod but I wouldn't hesitate to do handheld if the shutter speeds are high. Sometimes as you mention there is noticeable loss of sharpness but I also have sets where the loss is negligible (not visibly different from the individual brackets). If I think the sharpness may be an issue, I'll take the set more than once and throw out bad ones.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #1064
Give me a forum ...

if you use a tripod be sure and turn off the alighn images in the software. even if the are perfectly aligned the mushing of the edges it does if you leave the align box checked does soften things.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #1065
Give me a forum ...

I was reading some camera reviews. Appears the 6D does in-camera HDR but only outputs JPGs, while the 5DM3 will produce RAW HDRs?

Nikon 610 doesn't do in-camera HDR but some of the lower-end DSLRs do. And the D800E does it, but with a two-shot blend?

I've seen some good results from Sony NEX in-camera HDR.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #1066

OK - I figured out what I was doing wrong. sometimes a man needs to read the instructions. I see the possibilities of HDR, but haven't played enough to figure out the possible permutations. This is the same simple chess shot, with 5 xposures under a modeling lamp - the color balance was off. all I did to alter the the tone map was to kick the detail slider up halfway - just to see what effect it would have. Not a work of art, but kind of neat. Is it still a photograph though?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chess1.jpg (565.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #1067

Quote:
Is it still a photograph though?
I'd think so. No different than applying a sepia tone to a B&W to make it look old.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #1068

Well. in that case..lol

Here's one I tried shooting into the sun. A lens flare issue, but it was just an experiment.

Happy Easter, all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (939.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #1069

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398126436.467372.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398126465.058060.jpg
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1070

Seraphim: I've never seen a turtle with colors like that one. Where did you take that shot?

These are tulip petals. I was trying to capture the structure of them but with the light right on the lens the photos all looked flat. So I remembered reading "Get the light off the camera!" advice and tried that. Then they start to take on aspects of geologic formations.

Photos taken in my lavishly equipped studio, AKA the dining room table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg petals_(1_of_5).jpg (124.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg petals_(2_of_5).jpg (171.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg petals_(3_of_5).jpg (162.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg petals_(4_of_5).jpg (118.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg petals_(5_of_5).jpg (100.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #1071

The Photographers' Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Seraphim: I've never seen a turtle with colors like that one. Where did you take that shot?

These are tulip petals. I was trying to capture the structure of them but with the light right on the lens the photos all looked flat. So I remembered reading "Get the light off the camera!" advice and tried that. Then they start to take on aspects of geologic formations.

Photos taken in my lavishly equipped studio, AKA the dining room table.

Salt Springs in Florida. The red is a bit saturated in the photo - it was milder in reality, if I recall. Just using a cheap point and shoot camera.

For detail, the greater the angle of light source - compared to the camera angle- the darker and wider the shadows which show the texture. Shooting in a dark room lets you control the image more ( no ambient or stray light). Same when editing the image: a dark room makes the image on the screen look cleaner - no glare.

I like the different effects you achieved, and the final photo as well: a nice composition
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #1072

Quote:
Salt Springs in Florida. The red is a bit saturated in the photo - it was milder in reality, if I recall. Just using a cheap point and shoot camera.

For detail, the greater the angle of light source - compared to the camera angle- the darker and wider the shadows which show the texture. Shooting in a dark room lets you control the image more ( no ambient or stray light). Same when editing the image: a dark room makes the image on the screen look cleaner - no glare.

I like the different effects you achieved, and the final photo as well: a nice composition

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398131906.908228.jpg

Here's the unedited file image
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #1073
Moderator Emeritus

I finally got around to putting out my new wren house. I set it on the post and went to the garage for some screws, and the house had tenants by the time I came back. Not wrens though - looks like chickadees.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I finally got around to putting out my new wren house. I set it on the post and went to the garage for some screws, and the house had tenants by the time I came back. Not wrens though - looks like chickadees.

It's a sellers market lol...
Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #1075
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's a sellers market lol...
Yes it is - And with DW imposing a building moratorium, I expect prices/rents to skyrocket
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #1076

I've been kicking around the idea of renting a Nikon D610 or D800 and a full-frame lens just to see what the difference would be to my D7000 and the DX (crop frame) lenses I have. The larger camera and lens would also be heavier to carry around and that is a factor too. Not to mention the cost.

While DW doesn't have much interest in photography itself she indulges my gear expenses because she loves the results I get at family gatherings and the ability to retouch if needed. But when I mention the cost of the full-frame cameras a I hear "Hmm...."

Has anyone else used both crop frame and full frame cameras and seen a difference that makes the extra expense worthwhile?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #1077

Can't help you there, Walt. Never used a full frame digital camera.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #1078

Since it was raining for most of the day I found something else to play with. It took 40+ tries with different lighting but I got the "sorta Twilight Zone" effect I was looking for, or perhaps a time warp as in Stargate. One SB-900 on each end of the plastic slinky and -1 with the on-camera flash to light up some shadows.

It took a little gaffer's tape to hold the slinky in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surreal_slinky-1.jpg (145.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg surreal_slinky-2.jpg (127.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg surreal_slinky-3.jpg (128.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg surreal_slinky-4.jpg (142.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've been kicking around the idea of renting a Nikon D610 or D800 and a full-frame lens just to see what the difference would be to my D7000 and the DX (crop frame) lenses I have. The larger camera and lens would also be heavier to carry around and that is a factor too. Not to mention the cost.

While DW doesn't have much interest in photography itself she indulges my gear expenses because she loves the results I get at family gatherings and the ability to retouch if needed. But when I mention the cost of the full-frame cameras a I hear "Hmm...."

Has anyone else used both crop frame and full frame cameras and seen a difference that makes the extra expense worthwhile?
the full frame is nice for wide angle shots , the dx is better when we go to the zoo.

marilyn uses a d7000 and i the d800. most of the time we can't tell who took what.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
marilyn uses a d7000 and i the d800. most of the time we can't tell who took what.
Thank you. I'll stick with the D7000 then. Or perhaps talk myself into the successor to the D7100.