Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
Bugs are interesting subjects to photograph. Here are a few more taken with the same equipment.
Toolman,

Is this your profession or hobby?? These are quite impressive. Do you know, is that a hummingbird moth? I've seen a couple of those this year for the first time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The Bay Bridge framed by a sculpture named "Cupid's Span". I like the colors on that photograph.
This is one of my favorites. You're right- the colors are spectacular!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Toolman, Is this your profession or hobby?? These are quite impressive. Do you know, is that a hummingbird moth? I've seen a couple of those this year for the first time.
No just a hobby. I picked up a digital SLR and just shoot what I find interesting. Still working now but when I FIRE, I hope to take a class. Here a few more of that same little guy since you like him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-344631401.jpg (608.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image-2316244829.jpg (530.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image-4263647368.jpg (618.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #104

Quote:
No just a hobby. I picked up a digital SLR and just shoot what I find interesting. Still working now but when I FIRE, I hope to take a class. Here a few more of that same little guy since you like him.
Those are nice! Even with autofocus insects in flight are a bear to get focused on and get the shot before they move.

I've enjoyed the classes I've been to. There's a community college about 30 minutes away that has adult ed 4-week classes and those have been good. And the university even closer has a photography curriculum but even at in-state rates it'd be ~$800/class and I choke a bit at that. DW says go for it but I dunno....
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #105

Shot this one earlier today, mostly I wanted to practice getting that "silky water" look and play with HDR some.

Nikon D7000, bracketed three exposures at ISO 100, F/36, polarizing filter, 105mm, 1.3, 2.0, and 4.0 seconds, tripod, then merged in Photoshop HDR and further tweaked in Lightroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuscarora_creek-2.jpg (148.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Shot this one earlier today, mostly I wanted to practice getting that "silky water" look and play with HDR some. Nikon D7000, bracketed three exposures at ISO 100, F/36, polarizing filter, 105mm, 1.3, 2.0, and 4.0 seconds, tripod, then merged in Photoshop HDR and further tweaked in Lightroom.
Nice results. I haven't played with the bracketed feature on my D7000 yet.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #107

The bracketing feature took me a while to figure out reading the manual but once it sunk in it's easy. Press the button, spin the dial.

I suppose the manuals are written by engineers who (with the exception of and apologies to W2R) are not noted for clearspeak. For me it takes the same effort as comprehending the full text of Supreme Court decisions.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Birds and water. Canon SX50HS, handheld, no flash, ISO 80-250, f/5.6-f/6.5.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The bracketing feature took me a while to figure out reading the manual but once it sunk in it's easy. Press the button, spin the dial. I suppose the manuals are written by engineers who (with the exception of and apologies to W2R) are not noted for clearspeak. For me it takes the same effort as comprehending the full text of Supreme Court decisions.
I did a search on YouTube for bracketing,and now have bracketing figured out.

I have played with HDR. I use PSE and save one over, and one under exposed copies. I then use a free HDR program to make the HDR. I find that they come harsh but I like that for old abandoned stuff. It seems people either love HDR or hate it. Here are some of my attempts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3094384679.jpg (639.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image-3634663297.jpg (633.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image-2517927752.jpg (577.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image-1723085124.jpg (620.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Birds and water. Canon SX50HS, handheld, no flash, ISO 80-250, f/5.6-f/6.5.
Very Nice!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #111

Horse in fog admiring himself in pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_7045A.jpg (386.6 KB, 25 views)
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #112

Quote:
I have played with HDR. I use PSE and save one over, and one under exposed copies. I then use a free HDR program to make the HDR. I find that they come harsh but I like that for old abandoned stuff. It seems people either love HDR or hate it. Here are some of my attempts.
I especially like the one with the bridge. There are some abandoned houses/buildings around here and I'd like to do more of those but timing the light right is problematic.

There seems to be a fine line between over and under processing with HDR and I haven't quite found it yet. This one is clearly over processed but I like it anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opequon_creek.jpg (401.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is a really nice thread. I'm a point and clicker, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work that those who know what they are doing come up with.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I won't tell you which city these were taken in, as one of them is a dead giveaway. I'm sorry that they take up so much screen space, but didn't really want to size and re-post them all. Would it be better if they were a bit smaller? I notice that many of you guys are able to post your images as attached thumbnails. Am wondering how you do that?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #115

For Bay Area residents, I just noticed that National Geographic are holding a photo seminar in San Francisco on Nov 3rd -

Photo Seminar Fall Series 2013

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I won't tell you which city these were taken in, as one of them is a dead giveaway. I'm sorry that they take up so much screen space, but didn't really want to size and re-post them all. Would it be better if they were a bit smaller? I notice that many of you guys are able to post your images as attached thumbnails. Am wondering how you do that?
Nice. Very artistic perspective on the bridge shot. I haven't seen that before.

I post from from the IPAD app and use the "advanced", "add from camera roll" option.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
In order for an image to show up as an attached thumbnail you have to load it as an attachment. But the way you do it (using the insert image function) is perfectly fine too and I have no problem with the size of your pictures.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #118

Thanks for the feedback Toolman and FIREd. Not sure which way I'll do it in the future but thanks to you, I now know how it's done.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Really enjoying everyone's pics. Thank you starting this thread FIREd.

Canon SX40 HS
Tripod
Mode: Auto(1/200,F5.8,ISO250)
Flash: OFF
PSE10: Crop, AutoSharpenX1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3149crAS.jpg (437.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This is a really nice thread. I'm a point and clicker, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work that those who know what they are doing come up with.
Almost every photography book I've ever read has had some variation of the phrase "The best camera is the one you have in your hand".

That high-end DSLR isn't worth much in a closet if what you have with you is a $100 point 'n shoot or cell phone camera.

It's more about understanding light than spending money on gear. More gear gives more options but that's all it buys - not better photography.