The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to check with my homeowners insurance. Used to have a rider for camera gear when I shot on the side. Don't think I ever cancelled it. Don't remember what the deductible was...

I'm having withdrawal symptoms ... Starting playing with a little Kodak video recorder. A waterproof one, of course...

I have a couple of Joe McNally's books. In one of them he writes "I have a long and unfortunate history when it comes to water and expensive electronics."

So you're not the only one.

Great train shots Walt and thanks for the lighting link! Now I just need about $15k for that lighting. I don't see DW going for that

Great train shots Walt and thanks for the lighting link! Now I just need about $15k for that lighting. I don't see DW going for that

Well, you didn't think lighting a locomotive was going to be cheap did ya?:LOL:

PotDrip-00566.jpg

I was under the carport during a tropical deluge, trying to find something to shoot. Then the rain gods turned it up to 11. Visibility dropped to 150 feet, everything past 100 feet became ghostly shapes. Although the camera was aimed at the sky, the background of this photo is rain with diffuse backlighting, not clouds or sky. Focus blur plus motion blur rendered the wall of water uniform. The visible drops are coming off the carport and plant, big because they had time to form, round and lightly blured because they'd just started to accelerate. There aren't many of the big drops because the carport isn't level, so there was a river coming off it 2 meters away.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This is another from that restored locomotive in Clifton Forge, VA. I didn't crop the pano because that would have lost too much detail. You start to get an inkling of why it took an engineer to run that machine.

Attachments

• train_cab-1-2.jpg
    train_cab-1-2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 21
That's True! But I can't think of anything photography related that is cheap. Except maybe my remote shutter release for $10
I bought the following at a $1 store.

mripod.jpg

I had paid $3 or $4 on eBay, then saw the same thing in Dollar Tree, I think. So, I bought 3 more so that I would always have one with me. This was a couple of years ago, and I have not seen it anymore. It's one of those odds and ends that when it's gone, it's gone.

PS. It works for little pocket cameras only. It will not hold up your big DSLRs.

Taken last month in Des Moines. This is the Iowa Women in Achievement Bridge down by the riverwalk.

Attachments

• bay032933.jpg
    bay032933.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Walt. It's an HDR blend of three exposures at 4, 15 and 30s. However, even in the 4s shot the water is pretty smooth. This was a little before the heavy rains in late June/July when the river was overflowing.

Stopped st a The Camera Shop in Traverse City today, curious if the had the Nikon 810 in stock. Jason stated they were expecting it tomorrow or the next day. He had an 800 in stock, and the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR2. Also had the Nikon AW1. Spent several hours there, and decided the 800 met my wants just fine. Saved about $500 ( according to the owner lol) by not going to the 810. DW told me I was NOT taking that camera into the canoe, and suggested I compromise with the Sigma version of the lens, and get the AW1 as well. Doing a little research, I decided the Sigma would also meet my needs and wants, so I walked out with the D800, Sigma 2.8 70-200 (with OS),and AW 1with 11-27.5 waterproof lens. Close enough to $5k to not really matter. Picked up dome accessories ( batteries, cards, lens covers etc) at approximately half the retail price. Overall, a fine compromise between needs and wants. Pictures to follow when I have wifi access

Congrats seraphim! You got some very nice toys there. Your DW is smart - no 800 in the canoe. But that AW1 should work nicely in the canoe.

I've been trying to pull the trigger on an 800 for some time now. But I wasn't comfortable with the $5k price tag for the camera and 1 lens. So after research and recommendation from my lightroom instructor, I ordered the 610 and 24-85 lens bundle this morning. Should have it in a few days.

They're running a rebate on the D610 and that 24-85 lens.

But I'd like the 24-120 which doesn't have a rebate. So it would be $900 more for 85-120 reach, though it's suppose to be a professional quality lens.

The 24-85 gets good reviews too.

took these last night from francis lewis park opposite the bronx whitestone bridge in ny.

nikon d600 ,nikon 16-35mm lens. multiple exposures merged into a high dynamic range photograph.

140718_M%26M%20PHOTO-152_HDR-X2.jpg

140718_M%26M%20PHOTO-84_HDR-X2.jpg

140718_M%26M%20PHOTO-77_HDR-X2.jpg

140718_M%26M%20PHOTO-6_HDR-X2.jpg

140718_M%26M%20PHOTO-51_50_49_48-X2.jpg

Congrats seraphim! You got some very nice toys there. Your DW is smart - no 800 in the canoe. But that AW1 should work nicely in the canoe.

I've been trying to pull the trigger on an 800 for some time now. But I wasn't comfortable with the $5k price tag for the camera and 1 lens. So after research and recommendation from my lightroom instructor, I ordered the 610 and 24-85 lens bundle this morning. Should have it in a few days.

Congratulations to you as well! The 610 is a neat camera as well. I took some test photos at the Soo locks yesterday with the 800 - a world of difference over the D200 lol. Pulled out my Luna ProF meter, did some meter/camera tests, and it's a very nice combination. Need a bit more practice to be able to nail the exposure first try, due to the compensation factor. The AW1 and the meter seem to be spot on. Generally, there's some degree of compensation needs done with a particular camera and a particular meter, but these to seem to agree perfectly.

Pictures when I hit civilization and wifi...

Nice photos, mathjak....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom