Closed Thread

The Photographers' Corner
Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #1321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Like that perhaps?

The tweak seems to improve clarity. I must say that I am so careful not to blow out highlights that I often hesitate to increase contrast.

Oh yea. I like that. If an area blows out slightly you can either decrease the overall exposure, or 'burn' the bright area in using a brush. If you burn something in, very lightly...

Personally, the contrast is the first thing I tweak, especially before messing with the overall exposure. Modifications rarely take much.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Oh yea. I like that. If an area blows out slightly you can either decrease the overall exposure, or 'burn' the bright area in using a brush. If you burn something in, very lightly...

Personally, the contrast is the first thing I tweak, especially before messing with the overall exposure. Modifications rarely take much.

Going to the histogram and moving just the black (left) slider will increase contrast without changing the highlights...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
FIREd - I think your second coastline shot "pops" a bit more. Both nice images though.
Yes, the adjustment makes it look better to me too. But I like contrast in a photo. Not everyone does.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #1324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Depends on the RV - would a truck camper make?
Your truck camper stands a much better chance than my class C.

The next time I get back in that area, will time the travel so I can watch the Kinetic Race in Ferndale. The one for 2014 is coming up soon, so perhaps next year.

Quote:
NW-Bound - I like how the background of your OR coastline shot is hazy (mist/spray perhaps?) while the foliage in the foreground has good saturation.
Yes, the Oregon coast is usually foggy. My photos are taken with a pocket PS camera, and always unretouched. It's hit-or-miss, and mostly miss.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #1325
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looking at pictures of US soldiers killed in Iraq. Santa Monica, CA June 200
Great shot - the expression on the girl's face says it all.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #1326
Moderator Emeritus

Great coastline shots -

I like the ominous clouds and weaving coastline highway in FIREd's shot

Great view of shoreline framed by trees in HFWR's

and framing and mist/fog in NW-Bound's photo.

These really make me want to take a road trip to northwest and travel the coastline
Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #1327
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have driven the Westcoast Hwy 1 through the years, each time a different segment. I still miss the segment called "The Lost Coast", which of course does not have the highway hugging it. That takes some rough road to get to, which I do not know if it's doable with an RV.
That just might depend on the "RV"

Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #1328
Give me a forum ...

Yes, a truck camper can go further. However, there are still places on that coast where there are only hiking trails. I guess I will never get to see those parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
These really make me want to take a road trip to northwest and travel the coastline.
After researching for and buying an RV, I understood the difference between this mode of travel and the fly-and-drive method, or road trip in a car. Each has pluses and minuses. I wanted to experience them all. The only thing we do not do is backpacking and tent camping. Never did that when we were young, so will not start now when we are pre-geezers.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #1329
Give me a forum ...

Please pardon my photos, as I am not an artsy kind of guy and take photos mainly as mementos of the places that I have been to.

As we talk about the West Coast, I might as well put up this photo of the Point Arena Lighthouse. We were there in 2012 for 1 week in an exchanged timeshare while our RV was parked. The earlier Oregon coast photo was taken in 2010.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #1330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Please pardon my photos, as I am not an artsy kind of guy and take photos mainly as mementos of the places that I have been to.
But with scenery like that, it's hard to take a bad pic...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #1331
Give me a forum ...

You have not seen my other photos...

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #1332

Quote:

As we talk about the West Coast, I might as well put up this photo of the Point Arena Lighthouse. We were there in 2012 for 1 week in an exchanged timeshare while our RV was parked. The earlier Oregon coast photo was taken in 2010.

Nice tonal range and contrast. The landscape stands out.

Leaving tomorrow to meander up to Maine. Plan to take our time, so I can get serious about photography again and stop taking snapshots. Got all summer, if necessary.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But with scenery like that, it's hard to take a bad pic...
That was my thought too.

Quote:
You have not seen my other photos...
No one expects anyone to post their "aw, dangit" photos.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #1334
gone traveling

I've often thought that the most important component of my pics has been the planning and effort involved in getting to the right spot at the right time and that my technical abilities are nothing special. There's lots of folks with ability but the adventurous spirit is what pays off big time. Of course this is for the landscape / nature type photos I like to take.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #1335
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why my coastline pic above is suddenly "unavailable". I can still see it on flickr so is the link broken?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #1336

Quote:
I don't know why my coastline pic above is suddenly "unavailable". I can still see it on flickr so is the link broken?
It's showing here.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #1337
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's showing here.
Hum. It's showing on my iPad but not on my desktop.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #1338

Quote:
Nor mine in the original post. In the quoted posts it shows in all but one.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #1339
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Same here. Weird.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #1340
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I've often thought that the most important component of my pics has been the planning and effort involved in getting to the right spot at the right time and that my technical abilities are nothing special. There's lots of folks with ability but the adventurous spirit is what pays off big time. Of course this is for the landscape / nature type photos I like to take.
+1

The cost & effort of time & place was and is a big part of my enjoyment of photography and the results. I've been trying to expand my way of seeing, which is a fancy way of saying I shoot the same stuff the same way in the same type of places and I want to do more. For example, I know sometimes ordinary spots look good between first light and a half hour after sunrise. Cost is free, effort is m o n u m e n t a l. I've also thought about what subjects can I find anywhere and anytime. The obvious ones are people, macro and studio, where a table top can be a studio. Those have never interested me, except in passing. BUT I can't help think that making an committed effort in one of those areas would help my skills and eye in the areas which interest me the most.