Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #1381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like you did a good job of outlining that background Walt. Bet you're glad you got that Wacom tablet!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #1382

I'm going to push my luck and post just one more image. Sharing these reminds me of the commitment to going out and shooting that I used to have, and I'm hoping to reconnect with that by revisiting these shots.

Downtown Los Angeles. Jan 2006.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Bet you're glad you got that Wacom tablet!
You betcha! I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome without it and it's much more precise than a mouse can be. Very, very nice to have. The one I bought was the medium-sized one since I'd never used one, or even seen one IRL. If I had to do it over I'd get the small one since I ended up mapping it to use less than half the area of it. I use my fingers/wrist more than whole arm motions.

At the risk of sounding like a salesguy for Wacom I like it so much I bought a Bamboo (cheaper version) and a copy of Elements for my sister on her birthday and she loves it. She's just getting more into photography, grandchildren are the incentive, but she's on a pretty tight budget.

Quote:
I'm going to push my luck and post just one more image. Sharing these reminds me of the commitment to going out and shooting that I used to have, and I'm hoping to reconnect with that by revisiting these shots.
Very nice! My first thought was that was a Photoshop composition then I realized that was a billboard behind the building. The composition is harder IRL.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1384

Nature and wildlife class shots. We wuz warned that the definition of "wildlife" might be stretched a bit. The afternoon/evening was heavy overcast, nearby hills in fog, very humid and just short of misting, I'm shooting at ISO 800 and not because I want to, it's that dark at 6:30 PM.

The horse was there (it's a farm) so naturally I shot a few. The bird in the tree was the only actual "wildlife" I saw. The dandelion was lit with a flash and then the shot was adjusted in Lightroom to make it look a bit more (I hope) like afternoon sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nature_and_Willdlife_class-1.jpg (133.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Nature_and_Willdlife_class-2.jpg (180.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Nature_and_Willdlife_class-3.jpg (144.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Nature_and_Willdlife_class-4.jpg (153.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #1385

Does anyone register their photos with the Copyright Office?

I got to thinking about it when reading Get Your Photography on the Web and later today when I ran across this post on Strobist, an admitted rant about a Realtor who wanted free use of one of David Hobby's photos for credit only. While there is a learning curve to registering photos it doesn't look all that hard and after doing it a few times it'd be pretty easy.

Admittedly I have not registered any but I don't post all that many either, here or elsewhere. I did stop posting photos to Flickr because their TOS say essentially they own your photos and can resell them, etc. if you post them there. But that's water under the bridge.

But if I ever get a bug to write a photo blog or something those photos will be registered, and probably Digimarc'd as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #1386

I was thinking of writing a self-deprecating reply along the lines of "none of my photos are good enough to warrant stealing anyway" but thinking about it, quite a lot of stock photos that get used for various reasons aren't necessarily that good, they just happen to fulfill the purpose.

I've had a lot of my photos on my Pbase site for nearly 10 years now and to my knowledge, none of them have been taken and used by anyone. To me, the advantages inherent in sharing them outweigh the potential disadvantages. None of them are watermarked or registered. If I were a pro, I'd possibly be looking at this differently.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #1387

I've registered photos as both published and unpublished with the copyright office. It's $35 per registration but you can do a bunch of images as a group. They have an online form which should be simple, but I've run into annoying snags with uploads of the images and various browser specific issues with the forms.

I've never had to use the registration as a stick to enforce payment (but I always make sure I receive payment before sending out high-res versions). Personally I think it would be rare that a company seeking to use images for major commercial use (where the licensing fee could be quite high) would just grab an image off the web without trying to acquire reproduction rights legitimately. In most cases, the resolution is too low to be useful for any print use. However, I did receive a signficant sum of money from the Authors Coalition of America for an infringement on a few of my pictures. But in this case the registration of the images was not a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But if I ever get a bug to write a photo blog or something those photos will be registered, and probably Digimarc'd as well.
I don't think digimarc is worth it given google's search by image feature. There's also tineye.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #1388

Quote:
I was thinking of writing a self-deprecating reply along the lines of "none of my photos are good enough to warrant stealing anyway" but thinking about it, quite a lot of stock photos that get used for various reasons aren't necessarily that good, they just happen to fulfill the purpose.
I've also seen photos used in ads that I know I and others here could have done better with. That's one of the things that made me think of it. Stock pays so little it hardly seems worth the bother to even upload them. I guess if I had thousands of images on a site enough might sell in a year to buy a dinner. At least that's my impression.

But here's the thing. Assume for the moment that one of your images was stolen and used in an ad. The penalty for not registering the photo is many thousands of dollars that you don't even have to spend any money to recover. The law specifies that attorney's fees, in addition to damages, are to be paid by the copyright violator. But if the images are not registered you don't have a case.

I'd sure be kicking myself in the butt over that.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #1389

I know nothing about these matters, but if you have the original RAW file, surely you could prove ownership of the image that way? In theory you could, but perhaps there is no mechanism in place for proving copyright that way.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #1390

Quote:
I know nothing about these matters, but if you have the original RAW file, surely you could prove ownership of the image that way?
It doesn't matter. There is a clock ticking from the instant a photograph is published, register it too late and well, you're too late and you have lost the right to sue. Copyright enforcement is funny that way, not like other areas of law. This is an excerpt from one of the Kelby Training videos. The entire video was about an hour. They explain the "why" of registration in the first five minutes. I think this is important stuff for everyone who owns a camera to know.

Here's a short (a bit over 9 minutes) video that describes why it's important:

This one is an hour and a half. I watched it quite a while ago but it is worth the time, but even I couldn't do it all at once.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #1391
Moderator Emeritus

A red winged blackbird

Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #1392
gone traveling

These were all taken in the last couple of days with a Canon 5DMKII, 300mm f4 lens and 1.4 extender, taken through single pane glass (from the living room). Cropped and edited in Lightroom 3.

Stellars Jay

Junco

Hairy Woodpecker

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Female Grosbeak
Old 05-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #1393

Nice view from the living room!

I wandered out in the back yard to the edge of the wooded area, shot some with a macro lens. And later on got this shot of the burned out house that I've been wanting to do for a while. DW says I am insensitive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backyard-1.jpg (105.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Backyard-2.jpg (74.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Backyard-3.jpg (84.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Handyman_special.jpg (253.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #1394
Moderator Emeritus

Great Blue Heron

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #1395

Got a set of close-up filters in the mail yesterday so had to go out back and play with them. The first one is cropped to show more detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honeysuckle_pollen.jpg (62.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Honeysuckle_pollen-1.jpg (115.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Honeysuckle_pollen-2.jpg (138.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Honeysuckle_pollen-3.jpg (98.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #1396
gone traveling

This is 7 miles north of Westcliffe looking south ... Monday afternoon

Luckiest dog in the world ... Tues afternoon

Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 AM   #1397
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

took the fuji x100s back into history.all shot raw

Fresh out of the oven!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #1398
Recycles dryer sheets

Fresh out of the oven!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #1399

Mr. Paul, I'd print that one of the dog and hang it on the wall!

Jognnyfuego, what a capture! Hard to find those.

A few days ago I bought some foamboard for tabletop photography and bought this little orchid this morning. Playing around with the lighting gets some interesting results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup.jpg (76.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Orchid-1.jpg (155.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Orchid-3.jpg (118.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Orchid-4.jpg (181.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #1400
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wall mural on building on old route 66 in Pontiac, Illinois

Nice shot Ronstar! I've actually been there and seen this "garage" on my R66 travels.
Closed Thread