Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #1441

Great shot Mr. Paul! What shutter speed did you use?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #1442
Moderator Emeritus

Alpine farm:

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Photographers' Corner

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401761719.215383.jpg

Spent about an hour on Mt Battie trying to get a good peek-a-boo shot of the harbor, framed in the fog. Never quite worked. There was either too much, or too little, fog. At one point it was clear, then you'd be unable to locate the harbor.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #1444

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401762106.165592.jpg

Moosehead Lake
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #1445

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401762307.462369.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401762323.648831.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401762343.833759.jpg

These were taken in logging country in the Moosehead Lake region.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #1446

Great shots FIREd and Seraphim. Look like some fun places
Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #1447

Nighttime shot across Tempe Town lake, Tempe, Az

Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #1448
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nighttime shot across Tempe Town lake, Tempe, Az

Nice nighttime shot. Can you share exposure, lens info?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs56 View Post
Nice nighttime shot. Can you share exposure, lens info?
Thanks - It was my 10-24 lens at 20 mm, ISO 100, F10, 30 sec
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #1450
Recycles dryer sheets

Some spring pics
Nikon D7000 ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401920424.742191.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401920447.383159.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401920473.996682.jpg
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #1451
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great shot Mr. Paul! What shutter speed did you use?
Thanks Ronstar ... exposure was .8 second with fstop dialed down to 22 and ISO set to "low" which is 50 I believe.

Nice weather is really bringing out some nice shots ... great work FireD, seraphim, Ronstar and Toolman.

These are from our visit to Great Sand Dunes National Park yesterday

Medano Creek runs at the southern edge of the dunes. Spring runoff is the best time to visit, so we did

Mt Herard in the background

Sophie in Heaven

The Great Sand Dunes are formed as the winds deposit sand at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #1452

Mr. Paul, I do enjoy your pictures.......especially Sophie. I'm hoping to get a new furry buddy this Summer. Had to let my girl go a couple of summers ago and think it might be time.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #1453

The Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer arrived today. The thing is heavy and HUGE! Can't wait to get my tower PC back so I can set this printer up, get the profiles set and do some prints.

BTW, the special runs to the end of this month. A $300 rebate on the printer and a pack of paper brings the total down to $98, not a bad deal. There's also a a $400 rebate if you buy a Canon camera (must be one of several specific models). So if one is sitting on the fence about the printer this might push you off.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #1454
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Mr. Paul, I do enjoy your pictures.......especially Sophie. I'm hoping to get a new furry buddy this Summer. Had to let my girl go a couple of summers ago and think it might be time.
Thanks! We never had a dog until retirement. Sophie is almost never left home alone and we are the bestest of buddies. Puppy up and let's see some pics
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer arrived today. The thing is heavy and HUGE! Can't wait to get my tower PC back so I can set this printer up, get the profiles set and do some prints.

BTW, the special runs to the end of this month. A $300 rebate on the printer and a pack of paper brings the total down to $98, not a bad deal.
Wow that's a super deal. I gotta think about this one though because I just sold my 24" hp z3200 printer (no space for it in the move). Ideally I'd like a 17" printer, but still for only $100...

Does this take the consumer size ink cartridges? or can you use the bigger carts?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #1456
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have a good camera and take photos from my iPhone in my travels. I most probably should invest in a good camera if I want to seriously develop photography as a hobby. However, I look at my iPhone photos from time to time ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1402070667.515431.jpgand they do look good. Here's one ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1402070744.194002.jpgin my travels driving on The Great Ocean Drive in Australia and another while driving along the hills of Tuscany.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #1457
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

BTW, the special runs to the end of this month. A $300 rebate on the printer and a pack of paper brings the total down to $98, not a bad deal. There's also a a $400 rebate if you buy a Canon camera (must be one of several specific models). So if one is sitting on the fence about the printer this might push you off.
Looks like a great deal. Unfortunately, I have no room for a printer...
Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Does this take the consumer size ink cartridges? or can you use the bigger carts?
I think it uses the consumer-size carts, in reviews I see lots of complaints about ink prices but that's true for all photo-quality printers, not just Canon's. And from what I've read about inks, papers, and the interactions between them over time, developing those inks and papers is not cheap. I'll buy store-brand toner and inks for regular correspondence and such but if I want long-lasting quality photo prints I think the only reasonable hope is pay the freight for high quality inks and papers. But I'm not printing in professional quantities either so ink costs are less of a factor for me.

A disappointment is that I cannot get the print head to go into the holder. I must be "fat fingering" something - I don't see any obvious defects, I traded a couple of emails back and forth with Canon tech support with photos, I looked up a youtube video on doing that, and I still can't get it in there without using a hammer. I'm pretty sure that's not a good idea. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this. Perhaps I really did get a defective one but I think Canon has pretty good quality control so we'll see.

I'm going to call Canon's voice tech support line later on. I really don't want to send this back but right now it is an expensive boat anchor.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #1459

I did some more checking on the pro-100. It turns out the cartridges are 13ml and run about $15. So $1.15/1ml which I guess is not bad for a smaller printer. My old hp z printer was about $0.50 / 1ml but of course I was buying 130ml cartridges (for about $60).

I hadn't realized that the pro-100 was a dye printer instead of pigment. I was really looking for pigment due to extra longevity so my wallet is safe for now.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1460

After talking with Canon phone tech support last night, this morning I drove to a Canon authorized service center an hour away. Their web site said they are open on Saturday but neglected to mention there are no technicians working on Saturday.

The next stop was UPS and I returned it, asking for an exchange. The only thing I can think of is "ganging" of manufacturing tolerances so the print head simply wouldn't fit. If it happens again I'll do the drive to the tech center again (on a weekday, calling first to make sure a tech will be there) and ask them to show this fool how to do it.

Despite all the discussion about dye vs. pigment I'm thinking those differences are leveling out. And I doubt that I'll care anyway in 50 years, and in 100 I'm pretty sure no one else will either. In the meantime all the reviews I've seen about this printer rave about it except for print speed. Hey - it's a PHOTO printer. Ya want fast photo printing that's any good you're not going to get that for $400.