Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #1461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some great photos!

Moscyn, I love my iPhone for photos. IOS8 is supposed to permit apps manual control of shutter speed and aperture. Photogene is an excellent editing app, as well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #1462
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost out of the nestImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1402179148.616745.jpg
Nikon D7000
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #1463
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

to a photographer the cloisters is an amazing challenge. it is so difficult to shoot there as the streams of light and dark exhibits easily over load any dslr camera.

sooooo with that as our challenge marilyn and i (badcook5) went there yesterday for a photoshoot.

nikon d800 and nikon 16-35mm

Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #1464
Give me a forum ...

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/PL...-2-Edit-X3.jpg

Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #1465
Give me a forum ...

What ISO for those indoor shots?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #1466
Give me a forum ...

most are 100 . they let you use a tripod there until noon.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #1467
Give me a forum ...

Ah okay.

Most cathedrals won't let you set up a tripod so a high end camera with high performance in low light would have an advantage.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #1468
Give me a forum ...

i use a nikon d800 , excellent high iso performance up to a point. but even then the higher iso's beyond 1600 can be to noisy and soft at times. i have have gotten very good 3200 iso shots and very poor ones at times.

i rather stay low as certain processing i do sometimes requires very low noise .
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most are 100 . they let you use a tripod there until noon.
Wow that's awesome. In most places like that, I'm struggling to find a place to support my camera (no tripods) or cranking the iso.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Despite all the discussion about dye vs. pigment I'm thinking those differences are leveling out. And I doubt that I'll care anyway in 50 years, and in 100 I'm pretty sure no one else will either.
According to canon the inks are supposed to have a 30 year lightfastness when behind glass (I guess that's why they called the ink ChromaLife 100). This is quite a bit behind pigment prints which get ratings of up to 200 years. However 30 years is still pretty good if they can actually achieve that (I haven't seen results from independent tests).
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #1471
Moderator Emeritus

I'm tossing around the idea of splurging on a Nikon D800, and a Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF lens. I find myself shooting mostly landscape shots and this combo is highly rated.

I have a D5200 now. I see the weight of the D800 is 32 oz where the D5200 is 20 oz.

For you full frame people out there, does the extra weight wear on you after a while?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I wonder about that too. I have a D7000, which is bigger and heavier than the D5xxx series.

I was really surprised how much smaller the D5300 was, couldn't find a way to hold it comfortably.

I carry around my gear for 10 miles or more sometimes. Doesn't hurt my back but makes me sweat.

FF gear would be more, bigger cameras, bigger lenses, possibly needing to carry a tripod all the time to do FF justice.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #1473

Judging by the interest of landscape photographers in the a7r (which can mount nikon/canon lenses with adapters), I'd say that many are choosing to go lighter.

Personally, I don't like to carry more than 3 lens in a backpack if I have to walk more than a mile (most of the time). However your 14-24 is a monster and might count as 2 lenses.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #1474
Give me a forum ...

Was intrigued by the A7R but my understanding is that while it uses the same sensor as the D800, it doesn't get the same output.

Also, no geotagging support.

I would like to see Nikon and Canon bring FF to this kind of form factor, mirrorless and smaller and lighter than even some APS-C DSLRs.

But mirrorless cameras aren't selling that well and have suffered more of a drop in sales in 2013 than DSLRs, which fell for the first time in like 10 years in 2013.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #1475

The A7R and D800 get very similar, but not identical ratings on DxO (with the nikon coming out slightly better). The A7R also has some weird compression system (even when you set the raws to "lossless") which can result in artifacts.

I don't think these would deter me from going with the A7r -- it's more of do I want the hassle of dealing with adapters, crappy autofocus, and sony's lack of product focus.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #1476
Give me a forum ...

I had seen this in Thom Hogan's review of the Sonys:

Quote:
Image Quality: Okay, we are now in one area where I know I’m going to get a lot of blowback: image quality. The number one thing I heard the fanboys all rejoicing about when the A7r was announced was this: “Yes! D800E quality in a smaller, lighter, less expensive body.” No, the A7r produces less than D800E quality in a less expensive body. If you want a free lunch, I suggest you try the local rescue mission.

The difference isn’t actually easy to describe because it involves what’s going on behind the covers. But let me lay out the basics: the D800E will shoot 14-bit raw files with no underlying artifacts and fully recoverable data. The A7r will shoot 11-bit raw files with potential posterization issues in the data. The same is true of the A7 versus a D610, too.

Let’s start with the 11-bit thing. Sony always uses compression in storing raw files. The way they do that is quite clever. They slice each pixel row into 32 pixel blocks. In a Bayer sensor, that means two colors, each with 16 data points). For each 16 pixels of a color, Sony looks at the minimum and maximum pixel values for each and stores that. For the other 14 pixels they store a 7-bit value that is offset from the minimum value. In essence, they get 32 pixel values stored in 32 bytes, when normally 11-bit storage for that data should take 44 bytes.

This is not lossless compression. It is highly lossy. Nor is it visually lossless. That’s because when you have an extreme set of values in the 32-pixel block (e.g. sun peaking out from behind tree edge), you get posterization of data. Don’t believe me? See this article, which describes it better than I can in the limited space of a review. Indeed, every A7/A7r owner should probably have a copy of RawDigger so that they can understand exactly where the issues in their raw files lay. Even Nikon’s optional visually lossless compression scheme does a better job at this, as it hides its posterization only in very bright values that our eyes just don’t resolve.
Sony A7 and A7r Review | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #1477

I'm liking the Canon pixma pro-100. It was a bit of a bear reading instructions and digging around in the driver menus to turn off all the automatic stuff. I print almost exclusively from Lightroom and use ICC profiles, letting LR handle the color management. If I don't have a profile for the paper I'm using I'll use a couple of sheets and make one with the Colormunki. Combined with being (mostly) careful with white balance and using a Colorchecker often in the scene in unusual lighting, and shooting RAW, I have not be disappointed or surprised using that method. Color stays consistent from scene to camera to display to print.

Based on extrapolating/guessing from what I've read, a full 13"x19" print is going to cost ~$5-7 in ink alone, plus paper. That's anywhere from $2 on up depending on how fancy you want to get. Good thing I don't plan on doing much of that but it's nice to have the option should I shoot something worthy of it. The few 4x6 test prints have looked nice.

And the first one did in fact have a problem with "ganging of tolerances" I think it's called in manufacturingspeak. The parts just didn't fit, and went together nicely in the second example. Everything works as advertised.

And ordered an 8-pack of ink this morning, $119.95 at Adorama. Later found it a dollar or so less at Amazon. After the rebate that's more than I'll pay for the printer. As with Gillette "Give 'em the razor, sell the blades".

Actually I don't mind the ink prices too much. I don't print all that much anyway and according to Wilhem Research, Epson, Canon, and HP have all spent some serious money on making sure the inks and papers play nice with each other. Nothing wrong with getting their return on investment.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #1478
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Judging by the interest of landscape photographers in the a7r (which can mount nikon/canon lenses with adapters), I'd say that many are choosing to go lighter.

Personally, I don't like to carry more than 3 lens in a backpack if I have to walk more than a mile (most of the time). However your 14-24 is a monster and might count as 2 lenses.
If I had the means I'd own a travel camera system and a second setup for when weight didn't matter. I can't afford 2, so my travel needs won out.

Pictured below is my camera, an Olympus EM-10 with a 9-18mm (18-36 FF equivalent) f4-5.6 lens. Because it's weight was mentioned in an earlier post, I compared the Oly to a Nikon D800 with the 14-24 f2.8, using camerasize.com. With lenses shown, the Nikon is 4 lbs 4.5 ozs and the Oly is 1 lb 3.6 ozs.

2Cameras.jpg

The Nikon is superior to the Oly in just about all the ways that matter. Will that avoid a FF vs m43 discussion?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #1479
Give me a forum ...

I just posted a link to Thom Hogan's review of the OM-1, another m4/3 camera. As he put it, the 16mp sensor is performing above its weight class. Yes, the D800 is superior in every way. But, the best camera one has for a photos is the camera you have with you at the moment.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #1480
Give me a forum ...

BTW, rumor sites are predicting a Nikone D800 successor, maybe called the D810, to be announced soon.
Closed Thread