The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the kayaking shots. It's nice to see other folks' adventures ... particularly when the pics are taken in an environment so different than our own.

Took this about 2:15 AM today. fairly low on horizon so focus is a little soft.

Attachments

• Img_0027.jpg
    Img_0027.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 18
If you like old airplanes the Wings of Freedom tour is in progress and is moving along the East Coast. The next couple of days they'll be in Hagerstown, MD and after that they'll be in Stauton, VA. Neither is too far for me to drive to so I'll make it to one of them.

I thought it would be neat to finally have a chance to get a ride but I had to gulp at the price - $450 for a 30-minute ride on either the B-17 or B-24 and (ack!) $2,200 for a 30-minute flight training and $3,2300 for a full hour in the TP-51C, a two-seat P-51 Mustang. I'll think about the bomber ride but probably not go. The Mustang ride is definitely not going to happen for me.

I keep forgetting to post this - a spider & web just outside the window next to the back porch a few days ago. The background was sky so I waited for dark so I could light the spider & web with flash through the window. Taken in daylight I'd get either a silhouette or blown-out sky.

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
At a fund-raising walk for the Seattle Humane Society today. A two mile walk for dogs and their people. This man had just taken a photo of his dog with his phone, and everyone was looking at it.

I was a volunteer photographer there. I would normally crop this, but they like them un-cropped so they can use them in their publications.

Rita

Attachments

• DSCF0087.jpg
    DSCF0087.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 17
I thought it would be neat to finally have a chance to get a ride but I had to gulp at the price - $450 for a 30-minute ride on either the B-17 or B-24 and (ack!) $2,200 for a 30-minute flight training and $3,2300 for a full hour in the TP-51C, a two-seat P-51 Mustang. I'll think about the bomber ride but probably not go. The Mustang ride is definitely not going to happen for me.

My dad was a B-17 radio/machine gun operator in WWII and a few years ago, I took a ride on a B-17- it was great and was neat to see the spot where he would have been on missions. Like many WWII vets, he didn't talk much about his service but was nice to make the connection. It was around $500 at the time on a CCAF plane. If you decide to ride, have a great time!

Or you could take an hour Southwest flight for about $100 ...

Ooohh... that Nikon AW1 would do NICELY for my ocean based adventures - in B.C. and the Baja. :cool:

Real nice to have waterproof when the canoe tips....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

On our recent Europe trip, I put the 17-40mm lens on my camera (Canon EOS 6D), and never took it off. Not when I had huge close subjects like this most of the time. Didn't take a tripod either.

This is the magnificent Renaissance Antiquarium Hall in the Munich Residenz, built around 1570. You can read more about it here: Bavarian Palace Department | Munich Residenz | Residenz Museum | Antiquarium

Attachments

• 140903_residenz_antiquarium_munich.jpg
    140903_residenz_antiquarium_munich.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 24
My dad was a B-17 radio/machine gun operator in WWII and a few years ago, I took a ride on a B-17- it was great and was neat to see the spot where he would have been on missions.

Words cannot express the respect I have for those WWII vets who flew missions and submarine missions and others. I did go on the ride and it was great and well worth the money. I posted about it here.

I remember touring the Torsk submarine in Baltimore harbor and coming away with much the same impression (didn't have a camera with me then).

Words cannot express the respect I have for those WWII vets who flew missions and submarine missions and others. I did go on the ride and it was great and well worth the money. I posted about it here.

I remember touring the Torsk submarine in Baltimore harbor and coming away with much the same impression (didn't have a camera with me then).

Yep - although I've always admired and respected veterans, I've come to appreciate the WWII vets the most. Here's a couple of shots of the B-17 giving rides at this year's Oshkosh, Wi airshowImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1412650954.894991.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1412650984.225130.jpg

Nice image, Audrey. I've a 10-24 lens I really like. It's a DX lens, and I'm using it's on a full frame camera now, so it's something like a 9-16 now, without vignetting. I love the ultra wide angle.

Nice image, Audrey. I've a 10-24 lens I really like. It's a DX lens, and I'm using it's on a full frame camera now, so it's something like a 9-16 now, without vignetting. I love the ultra wide angle.

Thanks!

My camera is full frame too, although I'm not sure I'm willing to go below 14mm with it. :)

This camera works really well in low light - tons of details in the shadows, which made it great for handheld without stabilization inside buildings. The posted photo was taken at ISO 4000.

Thanks!

My camera is full frame too, although I'm not sure I'm willing to go below 14mm with it. :)

This camera works really well in low light - tons of details in the shadows, which made it great for handheld without stabilization inside buildings. The posted photo was taken at ISO 4000.

I'm old school, and always shot at low ISOs. I'm just now getting used to the idea I can decent quality at higher ISOs with modern cameras.

You can do some neat stuff with ultra wide - especially landscapes and architectural

Rainy day - went for a walk and took the AW1 along. Stopped at a farmer's market, and took these photos just after someone deigned to inform me this was not a 'good day' for taking photos lol.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413397260.449885.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413397294.161223.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413397323.121572.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413397347.017966.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413397372.938884.jpg

Brown's Farmers Market in Ross Ohio...

I have posted this picture in the awful weather forum but thought it might be of interest to someone here. When there are a lot of ice crystals in the air the light is refracted into what is known as "sun dogs". These only happen on very cold days.

Attachments

• 1480587_10202409967520789_492869393_n.jpg
    1480587_10202409967520789_492869393_n.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 9
That's a neat effect...

The Photographers' Corner

Went for another walk today, and took the AW1, this time with a Nikon FX mount 28-70 2.8 lens (effective 75.6 - 189)

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1413506960.510358.jpg

Last edited:
The Photographers' Corner

Saw a heron out today, and with the 200mm lens (full frame) on my D800 - this was my closest shot

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1414106902.995302.jpg

Didn't have a longer lens, so I switched cameras and put the AW1 on the 200mm

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1414107003.799726.jpg

Not the same quality, but a usable shot at an effective 550 mm. Even got a decent crop off it

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1414107095.942995.jpg

Been waiting for the opportunity to try this. AF even worked

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
It was also done handheld - difficult because the AW1 has no viewfinder, so I can't brace the camera against my forehead

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom