Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #1501
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice, I really like the Roundhouse, will have to make a trip up that direction when I need to go to Lowes or some other big store!

I've put up a picture of two from our travels but have always used the store bought frames. Will be interested to hear further from you on whether you think all the matting equipment and materials turns out to be a good approach. I'm afraid there is more art to framing than I would think.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #1502

From reading the books I've learned that the main reason for the matting is not artistic but to hold the print (or other artwork) away from the glass or acrylic in the frame. Condensation and/or other chemical reactions can cause the print to stick to the glass, thus ruining the print. I have seen this happen to a few - very few - prints, but those were mostly in albums that were probably cheap materials.

What colors to use for matting is very personal and opinions vary all over so it isn't something that anyone will sneer at unless you do something like use a neon green mat for a somber B&W photo. I'll probably pretty much use either a dominant color in the print or the wall color with a secondary color (when I get around to double-matting) that is a dominant color in the print.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Anyway, here are two that made the first round using the mat cutter. The Martinsburg roundhouse is a local landmark and there are lots of other photos of it online.
Wow. I can feel the texture of the plant in the first one.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Wow. I can feel the texture of the plant in the first one.
I was surprised at how well that came out. Grocery store tulips, yucky day weather-wise last winter I shot that in the basement workshop area. Background was the black side of a reflector, flower vase sitting on a card table, one or two umbrellas overhead, then here's the key: Another SB-900 off to one side with a 1/4 or 1/2 CTO gel (can't remember which) to warm it up a bit. No umbrella on that one, I want the hard straight point-source light. I think I bumped up power 1 stop or so on that one too.

Being off to the side gets the deep shadows that show the texture.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #1505

Quote:
I was surprised at how well that came out. Grocery store tulips, yucky day weather-wise last winter I shot that in the basement workshop area. Background was the black side of a reflector, flower vase sitting on a card table, one or two umbrellas overhead, then here's the key: Another SB-900 off to one side with a 1/4 or 1/2 CTO gel (can't remember which) to warm it up a bit. No umbrella on that one, I want the hard straight point-source light. I think I bumped up power 1 stop or so on that one too.

Being off to the side gets the deep shadows that show the texture.
You may have said this before....what kind of post processing on those pics?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #1506
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone else print and hang photos in the house? With the recent acquisition of a mat cutter I'm going to start framing and hanging more photos in the house (with DW's approval of course). I've done a couple by just getting and 8x10 frame and filling that, and one she liked so much she paid a frame shop to frame.
Yes, I do. I am at the point where I will have to decide which older prints come down to be replaced by newer ones.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #1507
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't hung prints since going digital. Don't really do prints anymore since stores stopped carrying ink for my Epson printer. Didn't seem worth the time to order online, nor the expense of a new printer.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #1508

Yeah I've run some slideshows on my plasma through AppleTV.

Now I have my photos as screensavers.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #1509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
You may have said this before....what kind of post processing on those pics?
Usually just in Lightroom I make sure the exposure is good for that image, adjust the highlights to just shy of being blown out and the darkest darks to just shy of being completely black. This varies with the image of course, the roundhouse image has bright sky areas and dark areas in the windows so that image covers the whole range. Not every image does of course but if it does I want the "whites to be white and the blacks to be black". The rest is really subjective to the particular image, but I have saved some presets that work for a car show for example.

I usually set the tone curve at "medium" and occasionally but not often go into HSL and make minor tweaks to colors there - make the blue sky a little bluer, the green grass a tad greener. Not often though and if done too much it looks fake.

Usually I stop there but in the roundhouse image I went into Photoshop and added both curves and levels adjustment layers to make it a little crisper than it was. That can work for a landscape (if you like the effect) but is not something I would do on a portrait. In this case I was looking for something to emphasize the brickwork.

Brick buildings, especially ones that size, impress me because I think of every brick being placed by hand.

In the tulip image I did all the adjustments in LR.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes, I do. I am at the point where I will have to decide which older prints come down to be replaced by newer ones.
Ah, that's going to be a toughie when I get to it. I won't be doing too much though, DW has made it clear she doesn't want "to live in an art gallery" so I'll have to show some restraint.

I am liking the new Canon pixma pro-100 printer. There's even one spot in the house that DW has already approved placing a full 13"x19" size print (plus mat border and frame) on the wall under a vaulted ceiling and below that is a staircase to the basement so the wall is wide, tall, and right now, blank. Even two in a vertical format would work there if they related to each other.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #1511

Went fishing with my BIL and his golden retriever. Here's a before and after shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140628-DSC_0140.jpg (433.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20140628-DSC_0315.jpg (389.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #1512

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1404066826.887943.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1404066847.781919.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1404066865.986184.jpg

That is the actual AM from the movie...

Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went fishing with my BIL and his golden retriever. Here's a before and after shot
At least somebody had a good time!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #1514

Quote:
At least somebody had a good time!
I don't know who had a better time - me taking photos or the dog swimming in the lake
Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Looks like he had a bad hair day...lol

Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #1516
Moderator Emeritus

Apple has announced that they will stop supporting their pro photography software, Aperture, which I have been using for a while now. Sounds like my cue to get my photos out of the Apple ecosystem and move to Lightroom.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #1517

They are coming with something called Photos.app. Not exactly clear what kind of features it will have.

They are also suppose to update Aperture to be compatible with the upcoming Yosemite OS X release.

I've played with LR, the interface seems really busy. I tried a slideshow, didn't like it as much as the way Aperture does it.

Also, not sure Aperture libraries are compatible with AppleTV, slideshows on your TV.

I'm going to try to stick with Aperture as long as possible and hope that Photos is a capable replacement.

Some hopeful thoughts from a guy who's promoted Aperture over the years:

Aperture is Dead. Long Live Photos! | ApertureExpert
Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Apple has announced that they will stop supporting their pro photography software, Aperture, which I have been using for a while now.
Yeow! I can't imagine how I'd feel about it if Adobe abandoned Lightroom. So much of my work invested in it.

PO'd is a gross understatement.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #1519
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
They are coming with something called Photos.app. Not exactly clear what kind of features it will have.

They are also suppose to update Aperture to be compatible with the upcoming Yosemite OS X release.

I've played with LR, the interface seems really busy. I tried a slideshow, didn't like it as much as the way Aperture does it.

Also, not sure Aperture libraries are compatible with AppleTV, slideshows on your TV.

I'm going to try to stick with Aperture as long as possible and hope that Photos is a capable replacement.

Some hopeful thoughts from a guy who's promoted Aperture over the years:

Aperture is Dead. Long Live Photos! | ApertureExpert
The fact that Photos will be replacing both Aperture and iPhotos makes me think that it won't be a change for the better for serious Aperture users. The goal will probably be to please the masses rather than the "pros". I don't use Aperture for AppleTV slide shows, so that functionality is kind of lost on me (I could simply dump a bunch of photos in a folder and sync it with the AppleTV via iTunes if I wanted to anyways).
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #1520

I couldn't find any substantive information on the new photos.app so it's not clear what functionality will be lost, kept, or added. I think significant chunks of the raw processing are a part of the OS so may remain. But based on final cut and iWork, there will probably be a lot of unhappy people.

Concern about longevity drove me to pick lightroom over aperture even though aperture seemed significantly better initially. My main worry with lightroom is that Adobe will move it to subscription only licensing (they claim this is not in the plans but I remain skeptical).