The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golden hour in a cemetery near Nippori Station, Tokyo. Taken while traveling in Sept.

X9282794.jpg

X9282874.jpg

X9282893.jpg

X9282907.jpg

Oly em10 with Panny 14-45 kit lens.

This is not a good technical photo but it was interesting.

This man was in the market in an old part of Jakarta selling live frogs (to eat, not as pets) and he would skin them for you while they were still live (so presumably you knew they were fresh).

I have been through that market before but never notice the frog man before.

Attachments

• Frog man.jpg
    Frog man.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 17
IDMAT

Nice use of color and shadows...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Aus_E_Expat

That's a good street portrait

Some shots from a Chinese temple in the old part of Jakarta.

Should the colour be toned down?

Attachments

• edit_DSC4387 resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4387 resize.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 14
  • edit_DSC4441 resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4441 resize.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 14
  • edit_DSC4459 resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4459 resize.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 16
  • edit_DSC4485 resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4485 resize.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 16
  • edit_DSC4494 resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4494 resize.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 18
Its difficult for me to tell - we're traveling and I'm on my iPhone lol. The colors look good as far as I can tell, as long as they're not dialed up
So far you lose definition in the photo

Some HDR from a walk around the old part of Jakarta.

Attachments

• edit_DSC4705 Resize.jpg
    edit_DSC4705 Resize.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 20
  • edit_DSC4731.jpg
    edit_DSC4731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • edit_DSC4780.jpg
    edit_DSC4780.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Was the HDR done in-camera?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I was wondering about that too. They look a bit overdone, especially the one of the corner building. The halos around the power lines are a giveaway.

They were all shot in HDR but the corner building and the girl were processed.

The street scene is straight from the camera - but there is some shadow with the motorbike (to be expected).

I agree the corner building is overdone - will look at the original again.

The Photographers' Corner

I think HDR has a place in the toolbox, but for most shots it makes the photo look unnatural - in this case there's insufficient contrast and the haloes Walt mentioned. IMO, most in-camera HDRs are little more than gimmicks.

More natural than HDR is layering three separate exposures in Photoshop. Again, my opinion...

There's nothing wrong with shadow - dark areas are natural to our vision, and add depth and interest. Shadow brings out the third dimension in images. Without it, the scene looks flat.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with shadow - dark areas are natural to our vision, and add depth and interest. Shadow brings out the third dimension in images. Without it, the scene looks flat.
I rarely contribute to this thread, so apologies for suddenly butting in and offering an opinion, but a big +1 to what seraphim said here. In addition, there's nothing wrong with blown highlights either, if it's necessary to the look you want to achieve.

I went through a phase, while learning digital processing, of trying to process my images so they all had a full complement of tones from dark black to complete white, with no loss of detail in the shadows and no blown highlights. Then I slowly starting trusting my eyes and simply processing so that the image "looked right". Amazingly enough, that was around the time my images actually started "looking right" :D

Here's one from our August NW trip. Deb, Sophie and our home for 3 weeks. Cape Kiwanda, OR

Hallmark Cape Kiwanda by KBColorado, on Flickr

Got a Sony RX100 III right before our NW trip. The Canon is a beast to lug around and the iPhone just doesn't cut it. Very happy with the image quality and I don't even notice when it's clipped to my belt. This one's from the other day.

Nice shot of the truck camper. Sometimes I wish ours was a folder, too.

Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad

I went to Chama, NM, to ride the train on the last weekend of their season. There were still some fall colors, and the locomotives were photogenic. Here's my favorite of the bunch:

0064.jpg

The rest of the best are in two albums:

2014 CTS Trip

More from 2014 CTS Trip

I think HDR has a place in the toolbox, but for most shots it makes the photo look unnatural - in this case there's insufficient contrast and the haloes Walt mentioned. IMO, most in-camera HDRs are little more than gimmicks.

More natural than HDR is layering three separate exposures in Photoshop. Again, my opinion...

I've played with HDR and layer masking in GIMP, but the simplest and most effective post-processing I've found is in Google's Picasa. For this image, I cropped out a fence, bumped up the fill light, and sharpened the image:

30854-albums179-picture1219.jpg

Nice train shots!

Yes indeedy!

For those interested in the subject the book The Copyright Zone will be released in early 2015. It is about copyright law as it applies to photographers and photography, and goes into model releases, when and why you need one (or don't) and the like. They take a complex subject and make it understandable although I doubt it will ever be simple. I have the earlier edition of their book and thought highly enough of it that I will buy this one when it comes out.

It also includes a screen-by-screen section on how to register your photos with the U.S. copyright office and why you should bother to do so. (Doing so could very well pay for your kid's college educations at Harvard, paying full freight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom