Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #1521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless you always update to the latest OS X, you'll be able to use Aperture for a few years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #1522

I have to say that despite having to return the first one so far I'm very happy with the Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. I print from Lightroom because once you have a bunch of presets set up for sizes and papers it is literally a mouse click. The prints are on target and so far I've only had one that was noticeably off because some of the reds were pretty extreme and out of gamut for the printer (and probably others as well). But even that came out nice-looking and DW loves it. And that counts for a lot because that means I get to buy more camera stuff.

Despite the initial angst at paying $120 for a full set of eight replacement ink cartridges, so far as reported by the printer the ink levels have not dropped a bit and I've printed perhaps a dozen 8x10s and four 13x19s. So perhaps ink costs will not be as big a factor as they were with the smaller HP printer I was using.

DW was saying tonight that she wants a 13x19 of a shot in the dining room instead of the print that is there now.

All that said, I do calibrate the monitor and use icc profiles for the papers or make one with the Colormunki if there isn't one online.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #1523
Full time employment: Posting here.

RimsBrite-00544.jpg

RimsFuzzy-00532.jpg

'Always carry' came in handy when I had 45 minutes to kill while waiting for a motorbike flat repair. After sitting down, first thing I noticed was their hanging stock.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #1524

Very cool & colorful!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #1525
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post

'Always carry' came in handy when I had 45 minutes to kill while waiting for a motorbike flat repair. After sitting down, first thing I noticed was their hanging stock.
Very cool!

I gave up on keeping a photo printer. I used it (Canon 9500) so occasionally I always had to blow through a bunch of ink to get it ready to print due to our arid climate. I sure enjoyed having a printer but logistically couldn't make it work.

OK after backpacking with 6 lbs of camera gear I have seen the light, so to speak.

10 oz. and great IQ. I know lots of you like the Fuji and that's a fine camera as well. When I carry one lens into the mountains it's the 24-70 so the equivalent zoom on the Sony was a big factor.

Amazon.com : Sony DSC-RX100M III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera : Camera & Photo
Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #1526

The Photographers' Corner

Finally cleaned the sensor on my D200. It was filthy. Amazing difference.

Nice rim shots...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #1527

Like the rim shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I gave up on keeping a photo printer.
I think I'll be printing more than ever for at least a while. DW is giving my matting and framing more credit than they deserve at least at this point but she's now enthused about having more prints hanging on the walls. She may be creating a monster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Finally cleaned the sensor on my D200. It was filthy. Amazing difference.
Isn't it? And saves all that time in LR or PS to get the spots off.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #1528

Took about two minutes for the sensor. Ordered a decent kit for $35 that had a lot of different cleaning items for lens, sensor and LCD. I'll have to be more careful in the future...

Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #1529

Thanks Ronstar, Mr. Paul, seraphim, and Walt 34

It took all my will power not to call them rim shots, but I'm glad others made the connection.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #1530

garden trellis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140703-DSC_0483.jpg (1.11 MB, 16 views)
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #1531

And a tree frog resting on our deck table umbrella
Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #1532

Nice shot of the frog: sharp where it should be and slightly soft elsewhere to complement the sharpness.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #1533

If you're not the lead dog...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1404582347.160563.jpg

I'd been bemoaning the fact the images from my D200 weren't looking as sharp as I thought they should, but apparently that sensor really needed cleaning; the issues been cleared up.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #1534

Quote:
I'd been bemoaning the fact the images from my D200 weren't looking as sharp as I thought they should, but apparently that sensor really needed cleaning; the issues been cleared up.
If you're happy with what you have by all means stay with it but I'd tried a couple and they left a lot to be desired. Got the job done eventually but took a lot of tries and expensive swabs to do it.

Then tried one recommended by one of Scott Kelby's crew (they have built up quite a bit of credibility with me over the years) and I'm very happy with the kit I got from Copper Hill Images. This is the video is the longer more detailed version (~15 min.) and a shorter (~7 min.) is .

At the risk of sounding like a shill for them the Copper Hill kit works great and is a lot cheaper than anyone else's especially when it comes time to get more swabs.

And if you get the mega kit they give you the neat little plastic slinky to play with...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slinky.jpg (132.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #1535

Blew off the dust and used 1 swab. Have three swabs left for another time. Also include a canon lens cleaning kit, LCD cleaning kit. A lot of material for $34. Some duplication of equipment (several brushes and clothes for several purposes) but that's OK. Arrived in three days.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #1536

How often do you guys clean your sensors? How can you tell if it's dirty? My camera is only about 9 months old, but went through a dust storm that may have dirtied it up a bit
Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #1537

Quote:
Nice shot of the frog: sharp where it should be and slightly soft elsewhere to complement the sharpness.

Thanks, it turned out ok, but I was trying to keep it sharp across the whole frog. even tried it at around F14. Probably took 20 shots with various settings, but couldn't get the whole frog in sharp focus. Frog was so small that I had to shoot from a few inches away. Had a hard time focusing - couldn't autofocus, and I was standing on a swivel/rocking deck chair so it was difficult to hold the camera still.

What lens / settings do you guys and girls use for your macro shots?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #1538

Spots on photos can mean sensor is dirty, but it could be lens. Sometimes hard to see spots, so one can make test shots of a blue sky or a well lit white wall, like this: How to Spot Dust on Your DSLR Sensor
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #1539
gone traveling

It was nearly 3 years of heavy use before I cleaned the sensor on my Canon for the first time. Then, 6 months later for the next cleaning. I too use the Copper Hill kit and love it. The cheap illuminated viewer to directly view the sensor is great.

In my experience nothing screams "clean your sensor" like using silver efx pro on an image with dust spots.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
How often do you guys clean your sensors? How can you tell if it's dirty? My camera is only about 9 months old, but went through a dust storm that may have dirtied it up a bit
The easiest way is to look at it with the sensor magnifier that is in your sensor cleaning kit but even that won't always spot everything, at least in my experience. While dust is usually easy to see, grease/oil from the camera mechanical parts are not since they tend to be translucent. Those have to be found the other way.

The other way is to stop the lens down to a small aperture and shoot a picture of either a clear sky with no clouds or a white spot-free poster board, or just a white computer display.

Enlarge the image in LR or PS and inspect.