Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #142

Whoa! She's gonna leave a long trail of broken hearts.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I shoot in RAW but post-processing can be overwhelming at times.

I usually shoot when I travel so I'm out all day taking hundreds of pictures. I rarely set up and take shots deliberatively, like one might for taking bracketed shots on a tripod for HDR or for panos, though I have a panoramic bracket.

I do it once in awhile, to take night shots.

But after a long day, I don't want to edit each picture and leaving it to do weeks or months later doesn't work either.

So I set up a preset in Aperture as kind of a universal set of values to apply on import. But Aperture also has a auto develop mode, so I check that out too.

Since it's non destructive processing and the RAWs are always preserved, I can always reprocess individual shots, make manual tweaks.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I shoot in RAW...
Like this guy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAW.jpg (12.9 KB, 242 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Was going to ask Q about RAW....But make that go away.....^^^^^^
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Great shot. The age of innocence
Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Cleared for take-off. Does anyone knows what kind of bird this is?
A great pose on this one. It's a juvenile Double-crested Cormorant. Very nice job.

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions to this thread. Keep them coming.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Like this guy?
That is shooting in the raw. Although in fairness someone did ask about that as well but I won't name names.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

DW is catching the photography bug. She used to use our canon powershot sd850is, but has been using her phone for the past year or so. Today she told me that she wants a "point and shoot". She'll use it almost exclusively for people shots - family gatherings, etc. I'm looking at reviews, but there isn't a clear best choice.

Photo guys and gals - do you have a recommendation for a point & shoot camera?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #150

I'm partial to Canon G series point and shoot cameras. Small enough to take anywhere, rugged and they take great pictures. Plenty of bells and whistles too if you want or keep on auto modes and just point and shoot. I think the newest G series P&S is still around $500. Just my two cents.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That's tough one because there are so many to choose from. Almost nobody makes a bad camera anymore but there's always the tradeoff between features, performance, and price.

I'd suggest reading several camera review sites and decide what criteria are most important to you and go from there. What is someone else's ideal camera may not fit your needs at all.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My understanding is that most pro sports shooters shoot jpg because it's faster to clear the camera's buffer and get written to the card and speed is everything in that environment. An architectural or landscape photographer doesn't care about that. But the sports shooter is going to make sure he/she has the white balance and exposure nailed because they are not going to have the wiggle room that a RAW shooter does.
I shot motorports for media in the past and most of the guys shot JPG simply because they don't have any time to edit photos. The photos have to be uploaded while races are going on and immediately after. But they do know how to dial in the exact settings for every situation.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Some pics from today. Fall has come to New England.
Nikon D7000, Nikon - Wide Angle AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED,
ISO 100 f22, tripod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1508543111.jpg (482.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg image-3754316439.jpg (663.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image-739400989.jpg (901.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image-3848861730.jpg (951.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
DW is catching the photography bug. She used to use our canon powershot sd850is, but has been using her phone for the past year or so. Today she told me that she wants a "point and shoot". She'll use it almost exclusively for people shots - family gatherings, etc. I'm looking at reviews, but there isn't a clear best choice.

For something ultra compact, I like the Canon Powershot S110. It's tiny enough to fit in a pocket yet it packs a lot of features for someone who wants to explore beyond basic point and shoot.

For example, I used the shutter speed priority mode to capture this picture. Tea leaves and water swirling around in a bowl. Canon Powershot S110, ISO 160, f/5.9, 1/10s, no flash, tripod.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Frayne, Walt & FIREd - Thanks for the point & shoot camera tips. Both the Canon G's and S110 look like a good fit for her.

Next weeks assignment in photo class is composition - taking a shot where lines form
an intersection or check mark, and the viewer is drawn along the lines to the intersection. I brewed today so I didnt have time to shoot, but I did come up with this

Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #156

This was a weird close call.

Shot portrait photos for a church directory yesterday afternoon. The weird thing about that was when I went to import the photos into Lightroom I was seeing images from a series I'd done the day before at an antique truck show but not the portraits. And I DID reformat the SD card in the camera before the portrait shoot. But I was seeing them in the LCD on the back of the camera so I knew they were there.

Uh oh. This is not good. This camera (Nikon D7000) holds two SD cards, and I'd had it set up so the second card was an overflow for the first. So I copied all files in the camera from the 1st card to the 2nd and the portraits imported fine from that.

Whew!

So for the remaining shoots I'll have the camera write to both cards at the same time - "backup" vs. "overflow". And use a different card.

For right now (unless someone has a better idea of what the glitch was) I'll chalk it up to one of the contacts on the card/camera interface not making a solid connection. If it happens again the camera goes off to Nikon for a checkup.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This was a weird close call. Shot portrait photos for a church directory yesterday afternoon. The weird thing about that was when I went to import the photos into Lightroom I was seeing images from a series I'd done the day before at an antique truck show but not the portraits. And I DID reformat the SD card in the camera before the portrait shoot. But I was seeing them in the LCD on the back of the camera so I knew they were there. Uh oh. This is not good. This camera (Nikon D7000) holds two SD cards, and I'd had it set up so the second card was an overflow for the first. So I copied all files in the camera from the 1st card to the 2nd and the portraits imported fine from that. Whew! So for the remaining shoots I'll have the camera write to both cards at the same time - "backup" vs. "overflow". And use a different card. For right now (unless someone has a better idea of what the glitch was) I'll chalk it up to one of the contacts on the card/camera interface not making a solid connection. If it happens again the camera goes off to Nikon for a checkup.
Sounds like a one off contact problem. I didn't find it as a reported problem for the D7000.
Some D7000's have a problem with spots on the sensor. A wet cleaning ($15) at the local camera shop fixed mine. I bought some wet micro fiber cleaning swabs on eBay so I can do it myself the next time.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #158

Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #159

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #160
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... So I copied all files in the camera from the 1st card to the 2nd and the portraits imported fine from that. ...
Thinking in general terms of memory cards and file systems - I would have approached this problem differently. Generally, writing/copying is the last thing you should do if any corruption is suspected. Since things are in an unknown state, it's hard to say what a write/copy operation may do, and it could make things permanently worse. I understand you were copying from the suspect card to another, but since the problem was maybe in the camera, I think this was still risky.

I would have removed the cards from the camera and read them with a computer. If you have problems reading them, copy from the card to a file on the computer, and try some recovery operations there. Last resort, try recovery on the card itself.

Glad it worked for you, but try this approach if it happens again.

-ERD50
Closed Thread