The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very nice shots being posted. Sorry I haven't been around much - too many things to do. Heading west in a week, so hopefully I'll have to grab some photos. I'm still enjoying following the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A carpenter bee pic.

img_1616551_0_22bc29928dcdf4765db2de013f204be3.jpg

Last edited:
For those interested, B&H Photo has the X-rite Colormunki Photo on sale, which doesn't happen often. It will calibrate your screen but there are far cheaper tools for that task alone. But it will also create custom paper profiles for your specific printer and paper so the screen and the printer are "on the same page" (sorry, couldn't help that one) when it comes to color management.

Add in a Colorchecker and you have your camera, display, and printer all calibrated to the same standard. I'm a bit fussy about color being accurate so I like this stuff.

Search on "photo color management" and you'll find enough reading to keep you busy for at least a week.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1437519087.772391.jpg

Messing in the studio...

Very nice image

The harvest near Crosby North Dakota

Attachments

• 12004913_10152991429751574_7829888496928721888_n.jpg
    12004913_10152991429751574_7829888496928721888_n.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 51
Khan, what a jewel to be in the right place at the right time. Terrific photo!

new macro shots ...

The harvest near Crosby North Dakota

Awesome shots from each of you. I especially like the flower parts just sort of floating like they are in a depth-of-field-fog. Sort of super-realistic and impressionist at the same time (if that makes any sense, probably not).

Lots of interesting elements in that shot of the combine - the rows of wheat (I assume wheat? oats, barley?) in the foreground, the dust, sky, etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed them, well done! - ERD50

Awesome shots from each of you. I especially like the flower parts just sort of floating like they are in a depth-of-field-fog. Sort of super-realistic and impressionist at the same time (if that makes any sense, probably not).

Lots of interesting elements in that shot of the combine - the rows of wheat (I assume wheat? oats, barley?) in the foreground, the dust, sky, etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed them, well done! - ERD50
Thank you for the kind words. It's actually soy beans being harvested.

My backyard faces onto an open space preserve run by the city and county of San Diego.

Beautiful vista, nature, hiking trails, and critters...all sorts from deer, hawks, snakes, spiders, rabbits, other birds, coyote.

But today was a first for my backyard - a bobcat. Yes, they live in the canyon, yes, I have seen one in the canyon, but not on my fence.

Was sitting in the kitchen overlooking the back yard and the birds just *bolted* - thought it was another hawk, but then I notice movement at my gate. Then a moment later a bobcat jumps up to the top of the fence.
Bobcat-1-Oct-2-15.jpg

It walked the fence line to the front, jumped down, and crossed the street to the neighbors driveway.
Bobcat-2-Oct-2-15.jpg

The crows put up a din and circled the bobcat, but it vanished in the neighbor's bushes.

I called Animal Control to report it, but they said that we border the Preserve and wild critters will roam where they will and unless it was acting 'aggressive' there was nothing they could/needed to do.

Since it has been so hot and dry, I'm thinking it was looking for water.

What critters have you seen lately around your house??

> What critters have you seen lately around your house??

Late last week, I was out watering and my wife comes bolting out the door, gesticulating wildly at the street. I looked around to see a big old black bear walking up the middle of the street, not at all concerned about us. He continued up the street, eventually ending up on the sidewalk, walking it as if he were out and about after dinner. I tried to take pictures, but it was too dark for my settings, and too dark for me to see to change them.

I had another camera foo earlier this month. I went downtown to shoot the loading of our city park railroad locomotive for transportation to the folks who will restore it to operations, shot about 100 exposures, all at ISO 25000. Noisy and washed out, to say the least...

Suitably exasperated, I spent today going over my camera settings to come up with a good set of defaults, and developing a checklist to reset things after a shoot. I can't bear to miss another opportunity... :D

Pretty pic of the combine. Nice looking crop of soy beans. He's about ready for an offload from the looks of the hopper.

My backyard faces onto an open space preserve run by the city and county of San Diego.

Beautiful vista, nature, hiking trails, and critters...all sorts from deer, hawks, snakes, spiders, rabbits, other birds, coyote.

But today was a first for my backyard - a bobcat. Yes, they live in the canyon, yes, I have seen one in the canyon, but not on my fence.

Was sitting in the kitchen overlooking the back yard and the birds just *bolted* - thought it was another hawk, but then I notice movement at my gate. Then a moment later a bobcat jumps up to the top of the fence.

It walked the fence line to the front, jumped down, and crossed the street to the neighbors driveway.

The crows put up a din and circled the bobcat, but it vanished in the neighbor's bushes.

I called Animal Control to report it, but they said that we border the Preserve and wild critters will roam where they will and unless it was acting 'aggressive' there was nothing they could/needed to do.

Since it has been so hot and dry, I'm thinking it was looking for water.

What critters have you seen lately around your house??

I think it's pretty funny that you called Animal Control! Bobcat's are pretty good at catching mice and other rodents you might not want hanging around your house.

It's really a delight to see them. We have several that are in the next door state park. They are semi tame - they don't completely avoid humans, but might saunter by casually, although they won't tolerate being approached. We haven't had one come into the neighborhood. I think they don't leave the park because they stay where they have thick tree cover, and it is quite open country between us and the park.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty funny that you called Animal Control! Bobcat's are pretty good at catching mice and other rodents you might not want hanging around your house.

It's really a delight to see them. We have several that are in the next door state park. They are semi tame - they don't completely avoid humans, but might saunter by casually, although they won't tolerate being approached. We haven't had one come into the neighborhood. I think they don't leave the park because they stay where they have thick tree cover, and it is quite open country between us and the park.

The call to Animal Control was more about concerns for pets and kids in backyards....as it did go..into...the neighbors backyard...during the day.

There are numerous accounts of the coyotes being aggressive and picking off pets - while being walked by their owners. So we kinda watch out for each other in our neighborhood.

Been messing around with a 75 - 200 2.8 lens on an AW1 - effective 540mm length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom