Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #1841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love Peru. Was there 25 years ago, and brought home a great souvenir. He's starring in 'Forever Plaid' starting tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #1842
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Love Peru. Was there 25 years ago, and brought home a great souvenir. He's starring in 'Forever Plaid' starting tomorrow night.

So your souvenir can sing then! (Loved 'Forever Plaid' )

Old 09-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #1843

Quite well. This is his first professional lead in a musical. He's playing Smudge...

Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
It's been a while... At one time I was into amateur photography, but have gotten away... This will be an interesting thread.
Prior to retirement, I had my own business in computerized signs. This involved some photography, as well as using software to adjust and improve the visuals. So now, I wonder what types of programs photographers use to enhance pictures. I used Corel 3 and then Corel 10, but frankly it was a bit over my head, as I recall trying to understand and deal with things like layers and vector graphics. In fact, before the advances in computerized programs, the only way to create vinyl/computer signage was to manually digitize forms, shapes, logos etc... an art in itself.

So, out of curiosity... do you (anyone) use Graphic editors? If so, which ones?In my dotage, have decided that Irfanview is more than enough for me to deal with, in the kind of pics that I take today.

My brother was involved with photography conversion from Rotogravure, which was acid etching... for glossy magazines, to digital (pixel) based computerized editing... back in the early to mid 1980's, long before JPEG was a standard. His project was funded by the Boston
Globe, and finally resulted in multimillion dollar savings in printing costs, as well as (sadly) putting professional etching artists out of business. It was fascinating to see a computer break down pixels for editing, long before I knew what a pixel was.
I'll use GIMP for the occasional edit, its free and like photoshop so worth a try. I've also used Irfanview as well.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #1845
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from a week long stay at my Gulf Island place. Had some gorgeous evening paddles... although it's starting to cool down a touch, late September/early October might be my favourite time of the year. Basically felt like I had the island and surrounding waters to myself. Except for the whales, porpoises, seals, and sea lions.

Apologies if the kayaking pics are getting tiresome, but it's WHAT I DO. My username says it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (528.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #1846

Excellent shot! And keep the kayak shots coming!

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 10-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #1847

M jealous, SeaKayaker. Keep the shots coming. I like the contrast of the last photo.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #1848
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys.... believe it or not these shots are coming from my iPhone. I think I am going to have to invest in some dedicated gear if I want to seriously pursue this as a hobby. Once you try to zoom in on something, the iPhone picture quality is seriously compromised.

Oh, here is another pic from the same paddle. Some setting sunlight on some neat looking sandstone formations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (903.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #1849

The Photographers' Corner

I picked up aNikon AW1 for on the water - good for underwater photos down to about 49 feet. Just don't have an underwater telephoto zoom lens yet.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #1850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Thanks guys.... believe it or not these shots are coming from my iPhone.
Yeah, if you're getting results like that from an iPhone seraphim's suggestion of a Nikon AW1 is good.

No problem making suggestions on how someone else should spend their money!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #1851
gone traveling

Love the kayaking shots. It's nice to see other folks' adventures ... particularly when the pics are taken in an environment so different than our own.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #1852

Took this about 2:15 AM today. fairly low on horizon so focus is a little soft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0027.jpg (320.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #1853

If you like old airplanes the Wings of Freedom tour is in progress and is moving along the East Coast. The next couple of days they'll be in Hagerstown, MD and after that they'll be in Stauton, VA. Neither is too far for me to drive to so I'll make it to one of them.

I thought it would be neat to finally have a chance to get a ride but I had to gulp at the price - $450 for a 30-minute ride on either the B-17 or B-24 and (ack!) $2,200 for a 30-minute flight training and $3,2300 for a full hour in the TP-51C, a two-seat P-51 Mustang. I'll think about the bomber ride but probably not go. The Mustang ride is definitely not going to happen for me.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #1854

I keep forgetting to post this - a spider & web just outside the window next to the back porch a few days ago. The background was sky so I waited for dark so I could light the spider & web with flash through the window. Taken in daylight I'd get either a silhouette or blown-out sky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #1855

At a fund-raising walk for the Seattle Humane Society today. A two mile walk for dogs and their people. This man had just taken a photo of his dog with his phone, and everyone was looking at it.

I was a volunteer photographer there. I would normally crop this, but they like them un-cropped so they can use them in their publications.

Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0087.jpg (733.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 AM   #1856
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought it would be neat to finally have a chance to get a ride but I had to gulp at the price - $450 for a 30-minute ride on either the B-17 or B-24 and (ack!) $2,200 for a 30-minute flight training and $3,2300 for a full hour in the TP-51C, a two-seat P-51 Mustang. I'll think about the bomber ride but probably not go. The Mustang ride is definitely not going to happen for me.
My dad was a B-17 radio/machine gun operator in WWII and a few years ago, I took a ride on a B-17- it was great and was neat to see the spot where he would have been on missions. Like many WWII vets, he didn't talk much about his service but was nice to make the connection. It was around $500 at the time on a CCAF plane. If you decide to ride, have a great time!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #1857
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I picked up aNikon AW1 for on the water - good for underwater photos down to about 49 feet. Just don't have an underwater telephoto zoom lens yet.

Ooohh... that Nikon AW1 would do NICELY for my ocean based adventures - in B.C. and the Baja.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #1858

Or you could take an hour Southwest flight for about $100 ...
Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Ooohh... that Nikon AW1 would do NICELY for my ocean based adventures - in B.C. and the Baja.

Real nice to have waterproof when the canoe tips....

Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #1860
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On our recent Europe trip, I put the 17-40mm lens on my camera (Canon EOS 6D), and never took it off. Not when I had huge close subjects like this most of the time. Didn't take a tripod either.

This is the magnificent Renaissance Antiquarium Hall in the Munich Residenz, built around 1570. You can read more about it here: Bavarian Palace Department | Munich Residenz | Residenz Museum | Antiquarium
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140903_residenz_antiquarium_munich.jpg (222.9 KB, 22 views)