The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here have the Sony A6000, or the newer A6300? I'm looking at upgrading from P&S to mirrorless, and these have really stood out in my research.

In depth review of the A6300 here with links to comprehensive review. They compare it to the A6000 too.

I listened to the podcast but I believe there's a video as well.

Sony a6300 - This Week in Photo

Sundown

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Dawn with boat.

Attachments

• 1461112405192.jpg
    1461112405192.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 17
House Finch. Not camera shy at all.

Attachments

• DSCN3383e.jpg
    DSCN3383e.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 17
Anybody here have the Sony A6000, or the newer A6300? I'm looking at upgrading from P&S to mirrorless, and these have really stood out in my research.

I don't have an A6XXX camera but I have been using the A7r2 since release. Sony makes great cameras but they are pretty complex and their default UI setup is crap. If you do get a sony, I'd recommend spending some time learning all of the AF modes (including face/eye detection) and spending a chunk of time to setup all the custom buttons and camera settings.

Also get an extra battery or two, perhaps with an extra charger

Have you checked out their native lens selection? and does that meet your needs? My impression is that sony is devoting way more effort to their full-frame FE lineup.

Playing around with a Nikon 85mm DX macro lens, R1 Speedlight Remote kit, an extra SB-R200 Speedlight, 36mm and 20mm extension tubes, and a +2 enlarging lens in various combinations.

Two of the lights are mounted on the camera near the lens and one is on a stand off to camera left. It is also set to a higher light output than the other two.

The subject is a small Longaberger basket that someone gave to DW.

Attachments

• basket_weave-1.jpg
    basket_weave-1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 12
  • basket_weave-2.jpg
    basket_weave-2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 9
  • basket_weave-3.jpg
    basket_weave-3.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 9
  • basket_weave-4.jpg
    basket_weave-4.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 11
Morning

Attachments

• 1461589422415.jpg
    1461589422415.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
Reflection

Attachments

• 1461592627258.jpg
    1461592627258.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
If you haven't been to Canyonlands National Park, I suggest a trip. It's like the Grand Canyon without the crowds and kitsch.

Last edited:
Nice shot Chuck. I do intend to go next year. You can get away from the crowds at the Grand Canyon though.

The first was along Desert View Drive, and the second from Toroweap on the north side.

Attachments

• h Grand Canyon.jpg
    h Grand Canyon.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 9
  • h Toroweap.jpg
    h Toroweap.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 9
Simpsons episode last night they went to the Grand Canyon.

But I don't want to ride a donkey.

They camped out on the valley floor. So no hotels nearby? No wifi, no cell signal?

Ronstar, nice pic, what camera and lens were you using and how did you get the little guy to pose ?

Thanks frayne - shot the little guy with a Nikon 610, Tamron 150-600 lens at 600mm, ISO 250, f7.1, 1/80 sec. I crossed his path while hiking on a grassy trail. He just stopped and stared at me. With that lens, I had to stay about 10' from him just to stay in focus.

Handheld at 600mm?

Must be a large and heavy FX lens.

monopod. and I probably shouldn't have shot at 1/80. But I was shooting birds in better light on A priority when I saw the snake and I took some quick shots without changing settings. I think it would have been a better shot with a little higher ISO and faster shutter speed. "They" say the shutter speed should roughly match the lens length. I wasn't close.

monopod. and I probably shouldn't have shot at 1/80. But I was shooting birds in better light on A priority when I saw the snake and I took some quick shots without changing settings. I think it would have been a better shot with a little higher ISO and faster shutter speed. "They" say the shutter speed should roughly match the lens length. I wasn't close.

Sometimes you get lucky and shooting animals in the wild is pretty challenging anyways. Still, excellent shot and should be on some wildlife magazine cover.

Thanks frayne - shot the little guy with a Nikon 610, Tamron 150-600 lens at 600mm, ISO 250, f7.1, 1/80 sec. I crossed his path while hiking on a grassy trail. He just stopped and stared at me. With that lens, I had to stay about 10' from him just to stay in focus.

I would have been focusing from 20' away. Or maybe 30'. I don't like snakes! I know they are a beneficial part of the circle of life. They are fine as long as I don't see them. Just thinking about seeing a snake slither gives me the willies.

I would have been focusing from 20' away. Or maybe 30'. I don't like snakes! I know they are a beneficial part of the circle of life. They are fine as long as I don't see them. Just thinking about seeing a snake slither gives me the willies.

Snakes aren't my favorite animal either but since that sure looks like a harmless garter snake I'd have taken the shot too. In my (limited) experience around here a small snake like that will either just freeze and stare or get away as fast as it can.

For 600mm at 1/80 sec that sure is a sharp image!

Dawn

Attachments

• 1461802771482.jpg
    1461802771482.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10
Morning on the island.

Attachments

• 1461851594527.jpg
    1461851594527.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 9