The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
On reading the article about Michael, I learned that an oft-used phrase of his was "There's no shot here", and it got me to thinking about the importance of editing. I edit my "work" heavily (it feels a bit presumptuous to call what I do "work"). There's no point in exposing folk to the all of the absolute bilge that usually comes out of my camera. By choosing what I consider my better shots, I'm showing respect for the viewer, by not wasting their time with the full breadth of my mediocrity :)

Michael's saying got me to thinking to another aspect of editing - actually being discerning in what you shoot. Sometimes, I feel that if I were a good enough photographer, I could make a worthy shot in almost any place and with almost any subject. I suspect that many of us are tempted to think that way. Perhaps it's true, but for most of us mere mortals, it's a more practical approach to know when to give up - to say, "There's no shot here", because doing so frees us up to spend our valuable time in more promising locations with subjects that will give us a higher chance of success.

... By choosing what I consider my better shots, I'm showing respect for the viewer, by not wasting their time with the full breadth of my mediocrity :)...
Then, I would not have anything to show. Everything I took was mediocre.

But I show more to my family than the forum here, so y'all are safe. :)

Looking for fish.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1463771435514.jpg
    1463771435514.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12
Then, I would not have anything to show. Everything I took was mediocre.

But I show more to my family than the forum here, so y'all are safe. :)
The shots for family and friends are the best. I really enjoy looking at the snaps my friends and family post on Facebook - seeing them, and seeing what they are up to. You should post something and besides, I'd like to see a photo of your Class C RV :)

I tend not to post many pictures on photography forums because well, it sounds a bit rude, but I'm not that interested in what strangers think of my photographs. I'm also not that good, in the big scheme of things. I take pictures for my own enjoyment, and to share with family and friends. However, everyone is friendly here, and no-one's into heavy critique, so I'll probably post a few snaps from time to time.

Last edited:
No, no photos of us or our RV. We like to travel incognito. :)

PS. I have not been to any photography forum, even to lurk, because I am not a photographer. My artistic skills, in everything and not just photography, on a scale of 0 to 10, rate about a -2.

Last edited:
That's OK NW-Bound. I always enjoy your comments on RV'ing :)

Then there are the grab-shots. I don't even know if they're any good, photographically (probably not), but they're a bit goofy, and goofy is good -

original.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a list of current "street" photographers (chosen by popularity):

Vote for the 20 most Influential Street Photographers of 2016

The original list of 21 Street Photographers the Street Hunters team recommended has now grown to 115 Street Photographers thanks to all of you! Wow 115 Street Photographers!!!
... we would like to tell you that we filtered out many names that didn’t meet the criteria of this project. [not influential] ... Also, while we appreciate we can all be influenced by the great masters of street photography, the purpose of our list was to feature street photographers that are working and influencing today. For that reason we are removing Seul Leiter and Garry Winogrand from the voting list.

Ronstar - that's quite a picture! The shape of the sculpture and the, erm, rather rotund people echo each other, and make for an arresting image - especially contrasted against the straight lines of the buildings behind. It's such a strong composition that I don't think it needs such an extreme B&W conversion. I'm not sure if you have a touch of HDR there or if the look is due to the conversion, but the image would definitely stand on it's own if displayed with a more regular "look" IMHO.

I'm wary of critiquing in this thread, as I think it's more fun just to share and look at each other's pictures. In this case though, I thought it was justified, as the critique part very much plays second fiddle to the main comment, which was, "Wow - nice image!"

Thanks for the critique, Major Tom! The only sounding board I have are friends and family members. And I can never get a good critique from them. I appreciate comments like yours that help improve my photo skills.

No HDR in that shot - but it was edited using one of the Silver Efex Pro presets, and with the contrast and clarity bumped up a bit.

I'll tone it down a some - I have a lot of travel photos coming up and I want them to appear more natural.

It's just my personal opinion Ronstar, so please only pay attention to it if it makes any sense to you, and you think you can draw something worthwhile from my comments. It was just that I saw your photo and saw enough thoughtful composition and framing, that I knew it would stand on it's own without the rather extreme-looking conversion. I have SilverEfx Pro 2 as well but don't use it much, as it slows my old computer down too much. So far, I've managed with Lightroom and it's built-in "looks" as well as some free film simulation presets I downloaded.

However, some folk really like the more graphic-looking effects, and that is all down to personal taste. The last thing I want to come across as is some kind of photographic purist snob. I still remember the arguments on the various photography forums not so long ago, as to how digital photography wasn't "real" photography. Those people drove me potty!

Last edited:
Drums from yesterday's drum lessons.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1464385274242.jpg
    1464385274242.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 19
DW -alias C.B.

I nicknamed her C.B. for C.B. DeMille, because she sits behind me when I am editing our travel photos and gives me her take on exposure, contrast and cropping. :)

This little Ricoh GR II that I purchased a few months ago has proven to be almost the perfect tool for street photography. I couldn't be much happier with it, and it didn't break the bank either.

Downtown Oakland, CA
May 2016

163348562.jpg

Now, that's a "Great!" shot. (And I wouldn't blame it all on the camera.)

I agree. Our junior college photography instructor said that one of the traits of a great photo is an interesting subject. Major Tom's shot certainly has that, along with great lighting, etc.

Thank you Rons - perhaps I should call you The Two Ronnies? :LOL: (As a Brit, I'm not sure if that reference will translate across the Atlantic.)

I enjoy looking at people. They really are quite fascinating. I have to be in the right frame of mind and in the right setting to do this type of photography, as it doesn't come naturally to me. Every time you point a camera at someone, you never quite know how they're going to react, and what will come of it. That moment of interaction between the subject(s) and the photographer is but a fleeting moment (if it even occurs), and almost magical. I've been getting lucky recently. Here are a few more, which may not have come out as well as the previous one, but I was fairly pleased with them -

All of these taken in Downtown Oakland, CA
May 2016

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom