The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not really a bird shooter but here are a few shots.

131227_M%26M%20PHOTO-165-X2.jpg

131227_M%26M%20PHOTO-123-2-X3.jpg

131227_M%26M%20PHOTO-106-2-X3.jpg

131227_M%26M%20PHOTO-153-Edit-X3.jpg

131223_M%26M%20PHOTO-65-Edit-X3.jpg

We're doing OK, too!

[3-day old Florida Sandhill Crane colts photographed at local pond on Sunday.]

Attachments

• DSC_3451.JPG
    DSC_3451.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 11
I notice there are a lot of shots of landscapes and objects here, but not too many portraits. Is that because you guys aren't keen to post portraits in order to help preserve some anonymity here, or because you're not that interested in photographing people?

Just curious.

Going through my photo library, I realized that I rarely take pictures of people actually. So this week I decided to play with street photography. It's pretty challenging and fun!

Same thing FIREd - I generally wait until people are out of the shot before I take it, unless they're a key element of the composition. The street shot I posted earlier was an attempt to correct that.

I used to shoot square format film and still keep an eye out for a shot that may benefit from a square crop.

This is Mallard Canyon in Canyonlands National Park in Utah. I processed three shots into a panorama and decided I liked this square crop better

Flower from the garden

Love all the photos. When I go to a craft show and photographers are there, I look for ones that are selling blank greeting cards with their photos attached. I like them because it's unusual and so much cooler than a hallmark greeting card.
Mr. Paul, The canyon shot is cool and the flower looks like the center is made from a piece of candy. Is the flower a poppy?

A couple days a go I saw some blank greeting cards with local photos and they were very well done. I may try to cobble something together like that.

Thanks, and yes that's a poppy from our Denver garden. That's one of the many things we can't grow now that we are at 8500 ft.

we should have a thread for constructive comments on the shots.

A couple days a go I saw some blank greeting cards with local photos and they were very well done. I may try to cobble something together like that.

Thanks, and yes that's a poppy from our Denver garden. That's one of the many things we can't grow now that we are at 8500 ft.

For me, the cards are miniature art and I buy them wherever we go. I got some beautiful ones last Fall on Martha's Vineyard. Don't forget to put your address on the back of the card for free advertising. I've contacted people that way to buy cards.

Wish I was better with my camera but it works great for pics of our cars.

we sell quite a bit of note cards with our photos on them.

we should have a thread for constructive comments on the shots.
Aren't we suppose to comment on the photos? I'm fairly new on this forum. When you say constructive do you mean critique a photo as far as angle, lighting, subject matter? I couldn't because what I see on my screen isn't necessarily what you see on yours.

I hope this thread remains centralized. I rarely comment because 1 buck and what I know about photography could buy you, well, 1 buck.

Aren't we suppose to comment on the photos? I'm fairly new on this forum. When you say constructive do you mean critique a photo as far as angle, lighting, subject matter? I couldn't because what I see on my screen isn't necessarily what you see on yours.
This post may help http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-photographers-corner-68364-3.html#post1366247
I would love to have a conversation on composition. But let's not use someone else's picture to point out how they have it wrong or could do better, especially when they have not requested feedback. Use your own pictures and tell us what you think makes for a well-composed photograph. Then we'll all be inspired to do better.

I would appreciate constructive criticism of my photos to help me improve, but I've only been dabbling in photography for 6 months so I'm in no position to criticize any photos. Our photo class of 10 people produced about 40 or so shots a night that the teacher showed to the whole class on an overhead screen. He (a professional photographer) did a great job in pointing out ways to improve the shots - mainly lighting and composition without offending anyone. But since my class ended, I don't know if I'm improving or not.

Last edited:
Thanks, MichaelB.
Ronstar, I took a photography class at our local college. I love all types of vehicles, flowers, architecture but to want to be able to recognize what I'm looking at. He was only interested in "art" shots and super close-up's. I never really learned how to work with my camera or to setup a photo. He wanted "ART" and I wanted pictures.

I would appreciate constructive criticism of my photos to help me improve, but I've only been dabbling in photography for 6 months so I'm in no position to criticize any photos.

I started dabbling in photography 14 years ago and I would not presume to critique anyone else's work. Photography is an art, it's very personal IMO. The idea that there is a universal aesthetic is rubbish. What I like, others may not like at all. And that's OK. But that does not make it wrong.

Last edited:
There's no harm in telling us what you think of a photo as long as it is done with good will and a genuine interest in the art.

marilyn and i made our greatest strides from critiques coming from those far better than we are.

many folks think you are rude if you point out technical issues wrong with their work and they didn't ask for it.

my feeling is if you post in a photography forum you should expect it and welcome it.

i am always searching for new forums so i can steal thoughts and ideas and find photographers better than we are. thats why we joined a local club.

we are the little fish in a big bond there.

many folks think you are rude if you point out technical issues wrong with their work and they didn't ask for it.

my feeling is if you post in a photography forum you should expect it and welcome it.

i am always searching for new forums so i can steal thoughts and ideas and find photographers better than we are. thats why we joined a local club.

we are the little fish in a big bond there.

You are free to take this thread in whatever direction you like. I started it, but it belongs to y'all now.

This thread is quite different than a photography only forum where criticism is exchanged freely. Perhaps anyone that is interested in constructive criticism can add a "critique welcome" tag to their posts. For those that want to learn, this is a great way to advance their skills.

Personally I'm always open to questions/criticisms/points to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom