Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #941
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Geez I go away for a couple days and y'all go hog wild. Love that photo, Ronstar.

HDR is a nice tool to have in the bag. It can be misused like any tool, and when that happens the results are downright scary. It's not unusual for me to process a set of exposures into HDR and then decide a single exposure works better but when it works it works very well.

To suggest to someone that their eye is not a good tool as to gauging correct exposure I would suggest caution here. If one is accustomed to their camera and it's display relative to getting the results they want, then why the hell not is what I say
Thanks Paul. I agree that HDR is the right tool for certain situations, and I can attest that when misused the results are scary. I've been playing with HDR through Photomatix the past few days and I've produced some nasty images. To me, it seems like the way to produce a decent HDR is to first recognize a situation where HDR would be the best means to produce the shot, and then properly bracket the shots.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the subject of using flash to bring out details in the shadows while exposing for the highlights, it's a technique I used to use quite a bit when taking portraits outside. In this shot, of a musician on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, I wanted to give at least some sense of his surroundings, even though it was a portrait taken at close range. I wanted to show the sky and the palm trees in the background, so exposed for the background while using a small handheld flash with a small softbox fitted, to light his face. Although it was a very small handheld softbox (about 12" x 6" at a guess), it was held very close to his face, so that the shadows cast are fairly soft.

I know this guy, and this shot has been up on my website since it was taken in 2005, so I don't think he'll object to me posting it here.

PS - if anyone wants to critique, that's fine with me :-)

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #943
Moderator Emeritus

Great shots and tips today. I'm venturing a little into HDR using info from this thread.

Mathjak - great flower shots. Using some of your shots (ones without bugs) to convince DW that I need an 800

Seraphim - I like the fisherman shot the best.

Walt - great interior shot and explanation how to handle the lighting

Skyward - Nice bobcat shot - I'm usually looking on the ground for these guys while hiking, but I never suspected that one could be stalking from above.

Major Tom - Great portrait / lighting
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #944
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #945
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
HDR is "built-in" to the iPhone.

How To Take Stunning HDR Photos With Your iPhone
That is probably why they have removed their software from iTunes. I use the free one by Almalence on my Android. I will get the ProHDR for her iPhone 4S. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #946
gone traveling

That's a good one, Major Tom. The softbox really did allow you to get a lovely softer edge to the shadows .... like!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #947
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Love the laid back monitor!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #948
Give me a forum ...

thanks , i guess he is just "monitoring things"
Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #949
Give me a forum ...

I didn't even know I had HDR (much less what it is). Apparently I do!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #950

I like that softbox effect. While I do have a couple of umbrellas I haven't bought a softbox yet. With a VAL (voice activated lightstand) AKA DW, it would produce some nice portraits.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #951

Very nice portrait Tom. Only suggestion might be to get rid of those bright spots at the bottom right. They pull the eye away from the face.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #952

Nice shots MathJak.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sensor cleaning

For those with DSLR cameras, what do you use to clean the sensor, or do you send it out to have it done? I've been using Delkin Devices' kit, which for the most part seems to work okay, but I'm not thrilled with it. It takes half-a-dozen or more swabs to get everything off, and even then there are still faint spots. I guess that's oil?

I've tried Photographic Solutions' swabs but they leave lint on the sensor.

I've read reviews on most of the methods/brands etc. and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner.
I have a Canon DSLR when it is turned off the LCD display indicates it is doing a sensor cleaning. I don't have any idea what it actually does to clean the device.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have a Canon DSLR when it is turned off the LCD display indicates it is doing a sensor cleaning. I don't have any idea what it actually does to clean the device.
Mine is an EOS 20D, which was before they introduced these "self-cleaning" sensors. I believe that it vibrates the sensor so that any loose dust falls onto a nearby piece of sticky tape (kind of like flypaper). It's probably not as thorough as using a swab dipped in cleaning solution.

Some people love to clean their sensors. I try to stay away from mine as much as possible. I plan only to clean it only if absolutely necessary.

Blood Moon
Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #955
Recycles dryer sheets

Blood Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Anybody planning to get a shot of the "blood moon" on Tuesday?
I plan to try, but so far the weather forecast does not look good.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #956
gone traveling

It took 4 years but my Canon 5DMKII got to the point of demanding a sensor cleaning. We live in an arrid, dusty climate and also have been in a number of dust storms in Utah. For some reason NIK Silver EFX really accentuated the dust spots. I spent 25 minutes editing out spots in one particular photo and then did some research on sensor cleaners.

Ordered a kit from Copper Hill, the one that includes the magnifier to view the sensor, for about $60. Kits without the magnifier are less than $30:

Sensor Cleaning

I had to go through the process 4 or 5 times but got a perfectly clean sensor. I would rate the process as "easy"
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #957
gone traveling

If you have 5 minutes to spare and have any interest, here's a deal I put together before deciding to go back to still photography. The trailhead for this hike is about 10 minutes from here. The video and all the stills were shot with a Canon HFS10 video camera.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #958
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done Paul, very tranquil
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #959
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't look like the local deer population ate well over the winter
Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #960

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397418188.211525.jpg

Finally get some flowers out!