The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've figured out that if I buy a used one in nice condition, together with the 50mm converter that is coming out soon, it will replace my old DSLR and 2 primes for the types of photos I take. So......if I sell my old body and lenses, it will fund the purchase of the newer camera. This makes my frugal self very happy, and keeps my photo self happy too :cool:

Glad to hear you figured out a way to [-]rationalize[/-] justify the new camera! No doubt you'll enjoy it.

Playing around with a new HDR program:

Nice! What HDR software?

Played around in PS to make a composite, flipping the tulips horizontal to make the light appear from the right the way the clouds are and cutting out the black background with the pen tool and replacing that with a sky. Perhaps not believable but the colors grab my eye.

Attachments

• Composit.jpg
    Composit.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
Playing around with a new HDR program:

13901905281_dfde8088aa_c.jpg

Nice urbanscape .... The colors all work well together. A lot of good 'patterns' of buildings and cars, windows, escape ladder - repetition is good. . Tree adds a nice foreground element IMO, and stops the eye from going further left, as it follows the line of houses and cars downhill. There's movement, and a lot of detail to hold the attention.

Sell it somewhere... A local lifestyle magazine or something. It's a really nice composition, and best use of HDR I've seen so far.

Last edited:
A few from L.A.

Attachments

• bay006979.jpg
    bay006979.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 7
  • bay007419.jpg
    bay007419.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
  • bay008255.jpg
    bay008255.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 6
  • bay008301.jpg
    bay008301.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 6
  • bay008360.jpg
    bay008360.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6
One more from the series with the guy in the gorilla outfit

Attachments

• bay008362.jpg
    bay008362.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
It really does illustrate that HDR can enhance many photos. Well done!

It can enhance photos in certain conditions,but it doesn't really do anything for most photos. Been playing with it, now that I have Linux up and running on a photo dedicated box, and I'm still not impressed. its doing nothing more than layering different exposures, which can be done in PS style editors. It merely automates the process, which is nice, but appears to be limiting creative choices - at least with the version Ive been using; and I admit I've not explored it much, so I may be missing some things. So far, I think I'd prefer setting up the masks and doing it in PS without HDR software. That opinion may change with time, though.

Attached a flower shot I took who-knows-when with an old Sony DSC. (First digital was an Argus 1MP lol)

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
HDR is more for enthusiasts.

Most people won't carry a tripod to shoot bracketed photos or spend the time and money to post-process HDR.

I think most people would be content with in-camera HDR as "good enough," especially since they don't need tripods or another piece of software.

The Photographers' Corner

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397927132.958904.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397927132.958904.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The Photographers' Corner

"Most people won't carry a tripod to shoot bracketed photos or spend the time and money to post-process HDR."

Yea - these tripods can be cumbersome to carry...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397927373.324129.jpg

Last edited:
I've been too busy to take any shots lately, but I just finished building my hand tool chest, and took a few shots of it with my shop lighting

Attachments

• 20140419-DSC_0209.jpg
    20140419-DSC_0209.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20140419-DSC_0208.jpg
    20140419-DSC_0208.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20140419-DSC_0210.jpg
    20140419-DSC_0210.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 8
Yea - these tripods can be cumbersome...
Not to mention the bulky large format camera, portable darkroom, and all those wet plates ;)

But kidding aside, it's pretty neat to see how sensor performance has made it possible to handhold in more situations than before. As very much a casual enthusiast (with the emphasis on casual), I just hate carrying gear around!

Not just casuals who don't want to lug gear.

Look at how more people are getting mirrorless, either to complement their DSLR kit or to replace it.

I just returned from a trip to Corsica. Packed a tripod but used it once. Was lugging around my camera for 5-7 miles a day, mostly on non-flat terrain. My tripod is light but if I took it with me all the time, my back and shoulders would have felt it.

Not to mention, if I stopped to set up the tripod and take brackets, it would have slowed me down. So the choice is either to take shots for brackets on tripod or keep going, covering more ground.

Some of the most scenic shot opportunities were on boat cruises that navigated to inlets, coves, grottoes. No chance for tripods there.

The urbanscape photo I posted above was taken handheld using bracketed shots on the rather compact Fuji X100S.

Playing with HDR, I am learning that a light hand is usually better for the kind of results that I am looking for. One vexing drawback is the frequent presence of artifacts in HDR composites (ghosting, halos, etc...). Some can easily be fixed, others not so much.

Yes and people have also made HDRs from a single RAW shot as well.

I've seen some good results from blended exposures, which can be processed in HDR software like Photomatix. Some blended exposures look a lot more natural.

FIREd - so you did get a X100S. I'm quite envious!

How do you like it so far?

I like it a lot. I had not used a 35mm-equivalent prime lens in years, so I thought it would be the camera's main downfall. But so far it has not been much of a problem, although sometimes I wish it had a slightly wider angle lens for indoors shots. I like to use the optical viewfinder and manual focus mode. It feels very natural. I like many of the camera's software features too, like film simulation. I took some landscape shots in Velvia mode for example, and the results were very attractive.

Last edited:
Not just casuals who don't want to lug gear.

Look at how more people are getting mirrorless, either to complement their DSLR kit or to replace it.
I've been wanting a large sensor compact for years, long before they started making them, and am excited that this mirrorless revolution is now in full swing.

My old film SLR's were much more compact and nicer-looking pieces of gear than their digital equivalents. My relatively old DSLR has been fantastic but I have to admit that it's a bit chunky and not much of a looker compared to some of the newer designs that are coming out.

Incindentally, for any photographers, particularly those with an interest in street photography, the film "Finding Vivian Maier" is playing in many cities. I'll be going to see it this coming week. More information, including the trailer and locations where it's playing are here. (FIREd - you may be interested to know that it's currently playing at The Clay in SF.)

I still have a Canon A-1 around.

One time I took it on a trip. It's way bigger and heavier than my Nikon D7000, which is DX format.

Of course, full frame DSLRs are heavier and bigger though I'm not sure it's as big as my film DSLR.

Well something like the Sony A7/A7R, which have full frame sensors, are even smaller and lighter than my D7000. Of course they're mirrorless.

Check out the Sony RX100.... it's got a 1" sensor (similar to Nikon 1 series), f/1.8 and is absolutely pocketable. There are times when I still want my DSLR, mostly for ultra wide angle work or easier manual controls. Also, the IQ of the DSLR with a premium prime lens is finer than the Sony is capable of. However, I'm finding more and more instances where the size and versatility of the RX combined with its intelligent shooting modes actually produces better results than my DSLR.

I don't mind the gear. It all fits in a backpack. All except the tripod...

FIREd - so you did get a X100S. I'm quite envious!

How do you like it so far?

Marilyn and i are entertaining a 2nd x100s. We are making my daughter a destination wedding in 2 weeks in the dominican republic and do not want to drag our big camera gear.

We were going to take our x100s and our cannon sd880 but i think we would be smart to get another x100s instead.

You guys seem to like flower photos...

Attachments

• ef9x10.jpg
    ef9x10.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 4
cleaning out old photo files. around 2003 currently.

Attachments

• FoundLeaves_1.jpg
    FoundLeaves_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom