The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some cheap Chinese made lighting (set with 2 lights, soft boxes, stands, cables).

They work ok but take a bit of setting up.

They cost me less than US$200 which I thought was good value - just need to use them more often.

I have also done a few workshops with local photography teachers - nothing formal but lots of useful, practical tips.

I bought some cheap Chinese made lighting (set with 2 lights, soft boxes, stands, cables).

They work ok but take a bit of setting up.

They cost me less than US$200 which I thought was good value - just need to use them more often.

I have also done a few workshops with local photography teachers - nothing formal but lots of useful, practical tips.

Nice! Is your lighting made by Yongnuo? I've been looking at Yongnuo on Amazon and their stuff gets great reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Shot some at the railroad roundhouse in Martinsburg, WV, one of the few remaining. Locally it is something that many people are trying to preserve but of course money is tight.

Link to pictures I hope:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-photographers-corner-68364-55.html#post1441632, post #1096

Thought I remembered the roundhouse pictures. Last night, I met a gentleman who is the new leader for the board or authority that is trying to preserve that roundhouse and make it a place for events as well as honor the railroad heritage. He seemed optimistic but has only been in the job about 4 months! I'll have to point him to your photos.

I met him at our local co-op where I'm one of the group trying to preserve the building and turn it in to a place for local artists and producers to sell their product. We're having a sale on Friday and Saturday as part of the towns buy local and support small business events. His wife is an artist that is participating and we were open last night for those who wanted to brave the snow (8" at our place) and get set up early. Our discussion about saving the co-op led to him telling me about his efforts.

Hope he's successful and will have to take a ride up that way some time to see it in person.

Last edited:
Unretouched photo of snow covered pin oak in my front yard, just after daybreak.

Attachments

• PinOakSnowNov272014.jpg
    PinOakSnowNov272014.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 16
Just came across this one again on my hard drive - from 2 years ago.

Attachments

• DSC06237.jpg
    DSC06237.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 16
Thought I remembered the roundhouse pictures. Last night, I met a gentleman who is the new leader for the board or authority that is trying to preserve that roundhouse and make it a place for events as well as honor the railroad heritage. He seemed optimistic but has only been in the job about 4 months! I'll have to point him to your photos.

Wow, small world!

They are welcome to use any of mine that they want for brochures or whatever and I can shoot some more for them if they would be interested. I'll PM you with an E-mail address. I too would be interested in preservation efforts for that structure.

Gee, I wonder how they came up with that name....:LOL:

He looks like he'd lick you to death.

Yes he would lick you to death. Porter is now an old dog that needs to ride in a baby stroller during long walks. He's got a great personality, even after losing his buddy Lamb chop, another bulldog.

Having my monthly "retirement" week.

I took these photos while out on my early morning walk.

The spiral is looking upwards in the silver turret.

Attachments

• E P1030159.jpg
    E P1030159.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 14
  • E P1030175 (2).jpg
    E P1030175 (2).jpg
    941 KB · Views: 17
  • E P1030208.jpg
    E P1030208.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 14
The Photographers' Corner

My son expressed an interest in a camera other than a P&S for Christmas, but he has no real experience. Something more compact, with interchangeable lens, a viewfinder in addition to LCD screen, not too much money but could have a flash and better lenses added down the line, dials rather than menu driven, as much as possible.

Found the Sony 6000 last night. Looks interesting. Kit lens good but not great. Zeiss, Nikon and other lenses could be added down the road. APS- C, 24MB sensor. $600, so if he never really gets into it, no great loss...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My son expressed an interest in a camera other than a P&S for Christmas, but he has no real experience.

Here ya go: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

More information than (almost) anyone would want to know about (almost) any camera. I mean really - a review of a DSLR that runs 20 pages is not uncommon. They're rather thorough I'd say....

A few years ago we chipped in with others and bought DW's nephew's wife a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and a 70-200mm telephoto lens. She's thrilled with it and has actually sold a print, which is one more than I have.

Last edited:
Here ya go: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

More information than (almost) anyone would want to know about (almost) any camera. I mean really - a review of a DSLR that runs 20 pages is not uncommon. They're rather thorough I'd say....

A few years ago we chipped in with others and bought DW's nephew's wife a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and a 70-200mm telephoto lens. She's thrilled with it and has actually sold a print, which is one more than I have.

Yes - I check that site before any major purchase. It convinced me to go with a Sigma lens recently, rather than the Nikon version of the same lens - saved me about $1200, for my purposes, and I love the Sigma. First non-Nikon lens Ive bought since the 80s.

What Camera Should I Buy? Tony Northrup Gives a Few Suggestions

or go directly to the YouTube video:

(I note that they are very partial to the new Canon 7D Mark II -but don't over-push it. However, I don't blame them since this is my favorite camera, ever.)

Im avoiding a DSLR for him, looking for something more compact so he'll carry it. If he really gets into it, we'll consider something else down the road. But I doubt he'd get into carrying a large camera, as I do.

If he did, I'd probably go Nikon so he can have access to my old lenses.

Im avoiding a DSLR for him, looking for something more compact so he'll carry it. If he really gets into it, we'll consider something else down the road. But I doubt he'd get into carrying a large camera, as I do.

The video (if you watch it) covers the gamut. And their "Buyer's Guide" is fairly useful also.

But you are correct. I should not have brought up the 7D.

The video was kind of interesting, and kind of confirmed my thoughts on the Sony 6000

sony makes good cameras but in my opinion they drop the ball in the areas of service and professional help.

have a sony camera fail and you pack it up and send it off and you may see it in a month.

my experience with nikon has been excellent.

i had a trip coming up and a d300 crap out.

i spoke to them and they had me send it in , they repaired it in a week and while it was out of warranty for 3 months they repaired it under warranty.

every try to get sony to fix something a week out?

canon and nikon maintain a staff of real pros you can call and ask questions to about difficult lighting scenes while at the job and get thoughts and ideas.

i just find the level of expertise and service from the big two is far and above anything sony will do .

if you don't really care about the service end then by all means buy sony , they make excellent stuff.

This mornings sunrise, captured with my Canon EOS Digital Rebel. Spectacular red sky lasted only for a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_3399-cropped.jpg
    IMG_3399-cropped.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 17
sony makes good cameras but in my opinion they drop the ball in the areas of service and professional help.

have a sony camera fail and you pack it up and send it off and you may see it in a month.

my experience with nikon has been excellent.

i had a trip coming up and a d300 crap out.

i spoke to them and they had me send it in , they repaired it in a week and while it was out of warranty for 3 months they repaired it under warranty.

every try to get sony to fix something a week out?

canon and nikon maintain a staff of real pros you can call and ask questions to about difficult lighting scenes while at the job and get thoughts and ideas.

i just find the level of expertise and service from the big two is far and above anything sony will do .

if you don't really care about the service end then by all means buy sony , they make excellent stuff.

But Nikon doesn't make a camera which fits my expectations for my son. I wish they did. I have an AW1 and a D800. I love them both for the niche they fill.

My second digital camera was a Sony 5mb camera which did me well for many years. When it died, I went to a D200. Both were new and cutting edge when I bought them lol.

But, to be honest, I've never needed a camera to be serviced. Guess I've just been lucky.

Carry it as in he'll have it with him only slightly less often than essentials such as keys, wallet, phone, etc? If so you might want to consider something I've seen in photographers of all talents and all ages: their concern for what other people think about their appearance. Always carry is a great idea for some people until they start to head out the door and wonder 'what was I thinking?' For example, a friend who sought camera selection advice is absolutely opposed to any 'always carry' camera if the only pockets which will hold it are on cargo shorts or pants - not because he doesn't own anything with cargo pockets, but because he'd never voluntarily own anything with such pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom