The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the texture on the craft.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

From my backyard today - odd cloud formation, then it took on the shape of an eagle (c'mon....it's an eagle!)

Eagle-Cloud-2.jpg

It looks like the underside of an alien space craft with a duck insignia as it hovers right above the clouds.

Last edited:
B-17. Tried to give it a vintage look with some grain, and other settings.

Nice picture, that's the B-17 I took a ride on a few years back- my dad was a radio operator/machine gunner on one of these during WWII. Would you mind if I printed a copy for my wall as this one is a lot better than any of the pictures I took that day.

Nice picture, that's the B-17 I took a ride on a few years back- my dad was a radio operator/machine gunner on one of these during WWII. Would you mind if I printed a copy for my wall as this one is a lot better than any of the pictures I took that day.

Thanks - sure - print it. If it doesn't turn out very well, let me know and maybe I can sharpen it a bit.

It's great that you got to ride in it, and that your dad used to fly in one. I'd like to see some more old planes. I saw this B-17 at the Luke Air Force base air show in Arizona last March. I've been checking, but I don't think Luke is having an air show this year.

Another cloud photo.

Clouds shining above the smog.

Taken from my balcony at 6am this morning.

Attachments

• E_DSC6219.jpg
    E_DSC6219.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The Photographers' Corner

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1424822814.719892.jpg

Modern firearms have become nothing more than ugly blocks which are being pawned off as tactical. A firearm should have a beautiful design, as well as being balanced, comfortable and functional.

The Photographers' Corner

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425080270.507659.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425080297.373352.jpg

Took some photos of a Lee Enfield .303 No4 Mk1 for a gun site.

I was going to scope that rifle but some collectors screamed at me. Apparently it has some value. I paid $45 for it about 10 or 15 years ago.

I would, also, be interested in the dimensions of the image that generates such a large size after hitting the "full image" bar.

Thanks guys. I really got lucky with the lighting on this one. The burners illuminated the people's faces very well.

Shot was F3.5, 24mm, 1/160, ISO 500 on a Nikon D610. I developed it in Lightroom and NIK Google Color Efex Pro plugin (can't remember what preset). Color Efex Pro copies the original raw file and creates a new image of the edited version in Lightroom as a tif.I published the Tif file directly from Lightroom to Flickr. The Color Efex Pro plugin didn't change the raw photo much - maybe darkened the sky a little. The image is not HDR.

The file shows up in Lightroom as 4991 x 3332. I used the share function in Flickr to generate html code for the image. I copied the code as the image filename in my ER.org post. The image in Flickr shows up as 2048x1367.

The image is not HDR..

I didn't think that it was... that was one of the things that impressed me. The huge size allowed much closer inspection than normal showing that there was very little alteration other than the usual color/contrast/exposure enhancements. Again, kudos.

The file shows up in Lightroom as 4991 x 3332. I used the share function in Flickr to generate html code for the image. I copied the code as the image filename in my ER.org post. The image in Flickr shows up as 2048x1367.

Well that explains how you got past the 1600x1600 limit imposed by the "Attachments" feature. Interesting.

Please Don’t Pay Full Price for these 11 Photography Items

Yongnuo makes very inexpensive speedlights for about $70. They are built well, reliable, and cheap enough you can buy two. If you’re just starting today, I’d pick up a YN-560 IV but check out my flash recommendations page here.

The flashes that I like from Yongnuo are the all-manual flashes. They are very simple to use. If you take a picture and the flash is too bright, you simply turn the flash down. Too dim? Turn it up. It’s that simple. But they also make high speed sync and ttl flashes for about $150, which are comparable to the $650 Canon/Nikon flashes.
Travel for Photography

Amount I saved: About $2,000 per trip
This is–by far–my favorite hack on this page. Last year, on one of our completely free photography workshops, we traveled to Iceland to photography the amazing landscapes. The cost of the trip from the United States? $699 which included flights, lodging, and some meals!!! It sounded too good to be true at first, but I’ve gone on several of these trips now and I can assure you that it is not a scam.

I bookmarked the site and will probably end up spending some money. Thanks. I think.:confused:

That looks more like cheap package tours than photo workshops, which can be ridiculously expensive -- for instance, the National Geographic Explorer ones go to many exotic places but cost around $10k for 2 weeks land costs, double occupancy.

I like the balloon shot as well. Nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom